Using Dlookup to find value in table (1 Viewer)

chizzy42

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:01
Hi all hope all is good. I seem to be getting an issue with Dlookup checking a table for a value and returning the correct response. I had a similar question recently and the dbGuy helped and noticed i had missed single quotes for a string search. I've tried various iterations of :

Code:
Dim RPSno As String
Dim str As String
'str = Me.Text22
'MsgBox ("Text22 " & str)
RPSno = Nz(DLookup("[cell]", "tblSkills", "[cell]=' " & Forms![frmcellskills]![Text24] & " ' "), 0)
'RPSno = Nz(DLookup("[Cell]", "tblSkills", " [Cell] =  ' " & str & " ' "), 0)
    If RPSno <> 0 Then
    MsgBox (RPSno)
     MsgBox ("number DOES exist in database")
        'Cancel = True

Else
        MsgBox (RPSno)
        MsgBox ("Number Does NOT exist in the Database")

End If
but all i get is 0 returned no matter what i do , so i thought id try a different approach and tried isNull with a constant value to try and cut out any variable ambiguity.

Code:
If IsNull(DLookup("[Cell]", "tblSkills", "[Cell] = ' Cell6' ")) Then

MsgBox (" No Record Found")

Else
MsgBox ("Need to add it")

End If

Again i cant seem to find a value of the field cell in table tblSkills(the value just being cell1......cell9). I tried using another table with the cell field in it (data type short text) am i wearing the clown shoes again and missing something obvious.....any help would be gratefully received.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:01
Can you show us a screenshot of your table with sample data?

chizzy42

Registered User.
Local time
Hi dbGuy thanks for the quick reply i've attached the rough db i'm playing with , the form that i'm using to search is frmCellSkills and i was trying the search using the buttons command19 and command26

Attachments

• Training.accdb
    2.6 MB · Views: 164

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi dbGuy thanks for the quick reply i've attached the rough db i'm playing with , the form that i'm using to search is frmCellSkills and i was trying the search using the buttons command19 and command26
Hi. Thanks for posting a sample db. I think I see your problem. Here's the code you're using:
Code:
RPSno = Nz(DLookup("[cell]", "tblSkills", "[cell]='X" & Forms![frmcellskills]![Text24] & "X' "), 0)
Please notice I inserted an "X" in place of spaces you were using in your code. Try taking out those spaces from your code.

chizzy42

Registered User.
Local time
Hi dbGuy i tried removing the spaces but got the same issue
Code:
'RPSno = Nz(DLookup("[cell]", "tblSkills", "[cell]='" & Forms![frmcellskills]![Text24] & "' "), 0)
RPSno = Nz(DLookup("[Cell]", "tblSkills", " [Cell] =  '" & str & "' "), 0)

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi dbGuy i tried removing the spaces but got the same issue
Code:
'RPSno = Nz(DLookup("[cell]", "tblSkills", "[cell]='" & Forms![frmcellskills]![Text24] & "' "), 0)
RPSno = Nz(DLookup("[Cell]", "tblSkills", " [Cell] =  '" & str & "' "), 0)
All I did with this one is take out the spaces for you. See what happens now.

Attachments

• Training.zip
    247.3 KB · Views: 160

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:01
Regarding your form - Go back to square 1. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

Every control you add to a form needs a meaningful name. If you don't give it one, you will never be able to remember what text24 on any given form means. This is not something you will go back and fix later. Do not deceive yourself. Fix it now or live with it forever. The more code you have, the more trouble it will be to fix the crap.

PS, when you are writing code in a form/report's class module that references objects/properties/methods of that form/report, use Me. rather than Forms!someformname! to write code. This will give you intellisense which is very helpful.

Me.SomeGoodName rather than Forms![frmcellskills]![Text24]

chizzy42

Registered User.
Local time
hi dbguy , command19 button has a data mismatch error13 and the command26 button still doesnt return a value

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
hi dbguy , command19 button has a data mismatch error13 and the command26 button still doesnt return a value
Hi. I only modified command19, so you can see how I might remove the spaces. You now get a type mismatch error because you're trying to compare "cell2" (string/text) with a number (0) in your code with:
Code:
If RPSno <> 0 Then

chizzy42

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for that dbGuy for bringing that to my attention :
Code:
RPSno = Nz(DLookup("[cell]", "tblSkills", "[cell]='" & Forms![frmcellskills]![Text24] & "' "), "")
    If RPSno <> "" Then
just realised i was tring to compare a string with number....much appreciated. Just trying to get a few things under my belt before i try converting a spreadsheet to a db as a learning project and as pat hartman said ill delete and start again and keep it clean.

thanks again

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Thanks for that dbGuy for bringing that to my attention :
Code:
RPSno = Nz(DLookup("[cell]", "tblSkills", "[cell]='" & Forms![frmcellskills]![Text24] & "' "), "")
    If RPSno <> "" Then
just realised i was tring to compare a string with number....much appreciated. Just trying to get a few things under my belt before i try converting a spreadsheet to a db as a learning project and as pat hartman said ill delete and start again and keep it clean.

thanks again
You're welcome. @Pat Hartman and I were happy to assist. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom