using tabindex in VBA to control what gets focus (1 Viewer)

Coxylaad

Local time
Today, 16:37
Hello again,
Looking for a bit of advice, I am building a filter panel at the top of my form to filter the results displayed on the form. I have 3 or 4 textboxes. I am using the 'on exit' event to trigger the filter code to build and apply the filters, and its working, however its not moving to the next textbox in the tabindex so the cursor ends up stuck in the current textbox.

I was looking stick a bit of code that read the tabindex of the current textbox, added 1 to it, then set the focus to the object with the next tabindex.

Does that make sense? ie everytime you tab out of the textbox it runs the apply filter code.

I dont want to do anything long winded only to find out its a setting or something!

thanks

Ian

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:37
Hi. Did you say you're using the Exit event? If so, wouldn't it fire when you tab out of the Textbox? Otherwise, how are you getting the event to fire? I would probably use the AfterUpdate event myself.

Coxylaad

Local time
yes it does fire when i exit the textbox, but what happens is the code runs and something makes the focus stay on the current textbox and not move to the next one

Coxylaad

Local time
ive managed to get it working, so I changed the even to 'onkeypress' put this in it

Private Sub fltrEstimateID_KeyPress(KeyAscii As Integer)
If KeyAscii = 9 Then
Call btnfltr_Click
End If
End Sub

so it checks for the tab key being pressed, (09) and it runs the filter code when it detects it.
the weird thing is the tab keypress is registered in the destination textbox, not the one that I have just input my filter string into, which actually makes the job easier as I dont have to bother with setting the focus to the next textbox.

SHANEMAC51

Local time
Today, 19:37
Looking for a bit of advice, I am building a filter panel at the top of my form to filter the results displayed on the form. I have 3 or 4 textboxes.
I always use a ribbon form with the main fields of the table/query
1 -the headers are fully visible (multi-line)
2 -green search fields strictly above the data fields
3 -you can set the selection conditions in any combination, usually equality, Like(contains) or interval
4 -I don't let the user mess up something (yellow fields are closed from correction)
5 -when clicking on the selected line, a link to the selected entry of the subordinate form is returned

Attachments

• poisk0302.png
    poisk0302.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 249

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:37
ive managed to get it working, so I changed the even to 'onkeypress' put this in it

Private Sub fltrEstimateID_KeyPress(KeyAscii As Integer)
If KeyAscii = 9 Then
Call btnfltr_Click
End If
End Sub

so it checks for the tab key being pressed, (09) and it runs the filter code when it detects it.
the weird thing is the tab keypress is registered in the destination textbox, not the one that I have just input my filter string into, which actually makes the job easier as I dont have to bother with setting the focus to the next textbox.
Hi. Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck with your project.

Coxylaad

Local time
thanks, so far access has allowed me to speed up the development of this project. I was originally using .net but access is so much more user friendly.

Coxylaad

Local time
I always use a ribbon form with the main fields of the table/query
1 -the headers are fully visible (multi-line)
2 -green search fields strictly above the data fields
3 -you can set the selection conditions in any combination, usually equality, Like(contains) or interval
4 -I don't let the user mess up something (yellow fields are closed from correction)
5 -when clicking on the selected line, a link to the selected entry of the subordinate form is returned
this looks exactly like what I am trying to build - where abouts is the ribbon form!?!

SHANEMAC51

Local time
Today, 19:37
this looks exactly like what I am trying to build
the VBA code must be destroyed
A FRAGMENT OF THE SEARCH CONDITION IS TYPED IN THE GREEN FIELDS
pink - start and reset the filter

Attachments

• boxSize.accdb
    1.6 MB · Views: 243

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom