value to be lookup not primary ID (1 Viewer)

JuniorWoodchuck24

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:20
Row Source in Table (combo box)

IFF([Type] = 13, (SELECT ProductTypes.ProductID, ProductTypes.[Extended Price] FROM ProductTypes ORDER BY [Extended Price];), (SELECT ProductTypes.ProductID, ProductTypes.Price FROM ProductTypes ORDER BY Price;))

I can get a number to pull up but it's the primary key. Trying to get it to pull in the 2nd value (Price or Extended Price).

Last edited by a moderator:

highandwild

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:20
You cannot set the Row Source like this.

IF [Type] is on the form then have a query upon which the combo box is based.

The query should have a calculated field that has a column heading of ThePrice for example and then an IIf statement that makes reference to the [Type] field text box and uses the [Extended Price] field if it is 13 and the [Price] field if it is no. The column heading cannot be Price as you have a field by this name.

Order the query by this field.

You will have to requery the combo box in the OnGotFocus event of the combo box.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 07:20
BTW: The Immediate If function is IIF not IFF.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
IFF([Type] = 13, (SELECT ProductTypes.ProductID, ProductTypes.[Extended Price] FROM ProductTypes ORDER BY [Extended Price];), (SELECT ProductTypes.ProductID, ProductTypes.Price FROM ProductTypes ORDER BY Price;))

In the actual rowsource you cannot do this. But you can use a query as a rowsource and the query could look something like THIS if [Type] is another field in the same record.

SELECT ProductTypes.ProductID as ProdID, ProductTypes.[Extended Price] as ProdPrice FROM ProductTypes WHERE ProductTypes.[TYPE]=13 ORDER BY [Extended Price]
UNION
SELECT ProductTypes.ProductID as ProdID, ProductTypes.Price as ProdPrice FROM ProductTypes WHERE ProductTypes.[TYPE] <> 13 ORDER BY Price;

Note that if the overall price ordering is important, built a separate union query without an orderby and make your rowsource query point to the union query and do the orderby on the result. I.e. a layered query - inner layer to do the lookups and outer layer to do the ordering, grouping, etc.

highandwild

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:20
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought that what was required was either
a list where the price was the [ExtendedPrice] or the [Price] dependant on the value of [Type].

Would this do the trick:

SELECT ProductTypes.ProductID AS ProdId, IIf([Type]=13,[ExtendedPrice],[Price]) AS ProdPrice FROM ProductTypes
ORDER BY IIf([Type]=13,[ExtendedPrice],[Price]);

pkstormy

Registered User.
Local time
Couldn't you just make this a query where Type=13 and save it (ie. TypeIs13QueryName). Then when appropriate, set the rowsource name of the combobox to this query name:

ie. me.MyComboboxName.rowsource = "TypeIs13QueryName"

If there's another situation, set the rowsource query to another query name (ie. TypeIsNot13QuerName) or something like that.

In one of the queries, you can have 1 calculation, in another query, you can have a different calculation. Just make sure the column count is the same and the correct column shows in the query for all queries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom