very novice question (1 Viewer)

roger_rickert

Local time
Today, 05:56
Looking for a little guidance. I'm attempting to make a simple database in Access and have zero experience in DB design or creation. I'm attempting to make a small database for recipes to run from a tablet in our kitchen. My idea is to have the main form have photos of each dish in the database (it will not be many recipes until I get it up and running). When the user clicks on the photo a form will open with a photo of the dish selected, the recipe, and each kitchen item (bowls, utensils, pots/pans, etc) that will be needed to complete the dish.

I'm having some trouble setting up tables/queries to accomplish the last part.

My plan was to have a table with all of the kitchen tools listed in it with their photo and name. On each recipe in the recipe table, there would need to be some sort of field to designate which kitchen tools should be listed and a query to fetch that information from the tools table.

I'm not looking for anything except guidance, suggestions, etc. I'll hack away until I figure it out eventually, but figured if someone could point me in the right direction that would be helpful.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 06:56

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 05:56
I'm having some trouble setting up tables/queries to accomplish the last part.

In the Access Ribbon, go to Database Tools-Relationships. Bring in all your tables, join them appropriately, expand all the tables so you can see the fields, take a screenshot and then post it here. That way we can see what you have and help you through it.

Going on just what you typed, it sounds like you need a junction table (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associative_entity). You have a many-many relationship between tools and recipes (many tools can be used in many recipes and many recipes can use many tools). To create a many-many relationship you need another table that acts like a traffic cop between the 2 tables to sort out which goes where. That's called a junction table and would look like this:

RecipeTools
RT_ID, autonumber, primary key of table
ID_Recipe, number, foreign key to primary key of Recipe table
ID_Tool, number, foreign key to primary key of Tool table

Those 3 fields will let you know what tool goes with what recipe and vice versa.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 06:56
You may find this of value. I thought it was a pretty unique solution, but the OP never came back and showed any interest. The OP wanted to copy a recipe from the internet which would be a big block of text and see if you could parse it into individual fields for the ingredients. It was not perfect but it was a 90% solution that would save a lot of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom