Solved View not opening in DB (1 Viewer)

Kayleigh

Local time
Today, 13:05
Hi,
I've used views for two queries in my DB. It runs in SQL Server fine and also can run as a PT query in MS Access.
But I get ODBC call failed when I try opening the view in Access. (Other views are fine.)
What is going wrong here?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 05:05
There are a variety of things that may happen, but do keep in mind that column names MIGHT be the problem.
SQL Server allows column names that Access does not.
I've made T-SQL Views before that err'ed out in Access because of that (in that case I was intentionally keeping them exactly the same as another source project for a reason - but they were horribly named).

Check that you've followed the basic rules: no spaces, no special characters, just pure alpha and numeric, and only alpha for first character.

Also check your view isn't wider than 255 columns

May also run or ask your DBA to run a sql trace.

Another interesting and less commonly heard way to get more insight is to simply use a different FE app to see if you get more informative error information. Like try Excel data connection or Excel power query, in some cases you will get more informative messages. Access's catch-all, unfortunately, is "odbc-call failed"

Also, check that you've relinked the view if you've made t-sql changes to it. Technically I don't think you're supposed to have to do this, but I've found it actually can help

Kayleigh

Local time
Today, 13:05
Thanks for those suggestions.

It was the SSMA_TimeStamp field so I just selected all other fields in query and its worked fine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom