KenHigg

Local time
Today, 08:12
What is KDE?

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 14:12
KDE is a graphical desktop environment for Linux and Unix workstations , and can be considered as an Vista alternative albeit for Linux. ;)

But back to topic, I can't really see the advantages of switching to Vista as opposed to XP. What exactly would Vista bring what XP doesn't have apart from some fancy features like 3d in Areo ( Vista desktop) . :confused:

Attachments

• feat_UX_09.jpg
    feat_UX_09.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:

KenHigg

Local time
If it's like all the other versions it'll take some warming up to - I'm sure there'll be some things that users will look back on and say - how'd we get by with out it and some things that will be totally useless. Outside the fragmented niche markets like programmers, graphical design, etc, big business will decide what main stream uses...

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:12
KenHigg said:
Thought I'd start a thread on Vista links/reviews

Link

Ken, you beat me to it :p I was going to post my own - once I've made enough space on a partition that is :D

rak said:
I can't really see the advantages of switching to Vista as opposed to XP.

I know of one major advantage - Vista will not make you (or whoever setup the first account) as a full admin on the system. If an application requires additional rights to do anything you will be prompted to allow it.

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Today, 07:12
This site goes into some of the basic differences between XP and Vista.

This site talks about Vista's 64-bit support.

Interesting reads...

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 14:12
MrsGorilla said:
This site talks about Vista's 64-bit support.

Quote from this site :
Additionally, Windows Vista x64 versions require that all drivers be digitally signed by the developer. If you've ever installed a driver in Windows XP, you'll likely be familiar with the unsigned driver dialog, which offers a "Continue Anyway" option when a setup application attempts to load an unsigned driver . In the x64 versions of Windows Vista, this will not be possible. Microsoft says that it is requiring signed drivers so that it can ensure that drivers are of the highest possible quality; poorly-written drivers are, today, still the leading causes of blue screens and other system instability issues.
Unquote.

I'm not sure if this really is an advantage.
For instance if you want to install a somewhat different soundcard or anything, Windows may not accept the (newest) driver for that utility, which means that with a 64 version, one can only install the soundcard that windows will accept, rather than those that the user wants to use.

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Today, 05:12
I really don't know-

It seems to be more eye candy than an upgrade. Someone already discovered a virus for Monad, a scripting tool that was supposed to ship with Vista but was dropped, which Microsoft says for unrelated reason. (Register's take and Mircosoft Watch's take) Thirdly, they dropped WinFS, which was one of truly innovative piece to add to Vista.

Given the continous pushbacks and features being dropped like hot potatoes, I imagine we'd end up with a "Win XP SP3" but with a price tag...

Last edited:

DES

Technoweenie
Local time
Well Just to keep things going Vista RC1 has been released for download and personally I have found it to be reasonably stable. As for the cosmetic aspects well frankly my usual first steps once I get a new Microsoft OS is to make it look like 98 since that is what most of my customers are used to.

The improvement from XP in my point of view is centered around the UAC. Personally I think it will confuse the hell out of most of the normal users and scare people like myself up a lot of new work. For those of us who are a little more technically inclined then the normal user getting used to the new "Not Really Admin Accounts" that get set up when Vista installs should not be a major problem and well worth the additional systemic security.

Speaking of security the firewall is no comparison to the limp XP version of a firewall. A good step up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom