Visualize a MariaDB view using ODBC (1 Viewer)

Etxezarreta

Local time
Today, 07:36
Hi All,
Hi @Steve R. ,
I have been tryig to use some MariaDB views, but it seems that ODBC doesn't allow to do so.
However, tables are perfectly visualized.
I tried to find some information in Internet, but nothing successful so far.
Does someone have a clue, or could tell me where I could find some information?
Many thanks in advance.
Etxe.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 02:36
I would like to answer your question, however I don't have Microsoft Access any longer. I'm also using Linux, not Windows. My normal method of accessing MariaDB is through the browser Firefox so I don't use an ODBC connector. Now, having said that, I do have an alternative means of connecting to the MariaDB (as a fallback option), which provides limited access to just the tables. No programing interface. The MariaDB connector for that use is: MariaDB Connector/J 2.7 Series. I don't know if MS Access could use that connector. Here is a summary page: About MariaDB Connector/J

I did an internet search and finally got this hit: How to Connect Java (JDBC) with MS Access Database
Since I no longer have MS Access, I can't test the tutorial out nor address whether the tutorial good or not. Hopefully, this points you in the fight direction. Also, switching to a JDBC connector may not resolve: "I have been tryig to use some MariaDB views, but it seems that ODBC doesn't allow to do so." But it's worth a try.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
As an experiment, I was able to create a "view" using the MariaDB Connector/J 2.7 Series. For this, I was using LibreOffice Base (an MS Access Equivalent) under Linux Mint. It was also a "remote" connection over the home LAN. Whether, MS Access would also have that capability remains unknown.

Last edited:

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
@Etxezarreta: Today, I ran across having to perform an SQL query. I took that as an opportunity to further experiment with creating/displaying a "view". I perceived of your question as creating a "view" from MS Access. If a "view" cannot be created from MS Access, flip the approach. In resolving my database query today, I was doing it directly with the MariaDB using PhpMyAmin as the graphical interface. So, the question becomes, can you create your "view" in MariaDB and then access it as a normal table with MS Access?

The following tutorial is now 11 years old. I tested it out and it is still relevant.

To create a "view" in MariaDB.

Last edited:

Etxezarreta

Local time
Today, 07:36
@Etxezarreta: Today, I ran across having to perform an SQL query. I took that as an opportunity to further experiment with creating/displaying a "view". I perceived of your question as creating a "view" from MS Access. If a "view" cannot be created from MS Access, flip the approach. In resolving my database query today, I was doing it directly with the MariaDB using PhpMyAmin as the graphical interface. So, the question becomes, can you create your "view" in MariaDB and then access it as a normal table with MS Access?

The following tutorial is now 11 years old. I tested it out and it is still relevant.

To create a "view" in MariaDB.
Steve hello,
Many thanks for thinking about my problem: we did create views, but we have a problem with some parameters ("cache" in french: https://mariadb.com/kb/en/server-system-variables/#table_definition_cache) that prevents us from reading datas in views: in other MariaDB bases we dont have this problem.
We found a great work-around using Powerquery: we inject directly the Sql code in a Powerquery query, and it works perfectly!
Many thanks again!
Etxe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom