Weird Access Opening Issue - Possible Bug? (1 Viewer)

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:31
Recently I have had a lot of issues with opening databases not working (Various ones, almost all are Azure SQL BE).

I either double click in file explorer, or right click the Access Icon that's a sticky in my Windows tool bar.
The database opens, but not in a visible fashion, there is a lockfile created but no visible Access window.
1681978524780.png

An background process is fired up in task manager but not in the Apps:
1681978628308.png

Background processes:
1681978669855.png

If I kill the orphaned process and then double-click the Access App I'm trying to open most of the time it will then open correctly, but rather slowly.
This is happening randomly on about 6 or 7 completely different databases. Some haven't been modified for 3 or 4 months.

A reboot cures it for a while but then it returns, often if I have been away from the machine for a time with a database open, yet the machine isn't set to sleep etc. only turn off the monitor.

It's on a hardwired network connection, i7 CPU, 64Gb Memory, I have done a full re-install of Office within the last 3 weeks and tried a repair yesterday.
Version : Microsoft® Access® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2303 Build 16.0.16227.20202) 64-bit
Does anyone have any clues? I'm not sure what else to look at.
It's very frustrating.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I don't think this is an Access specific issue. I get the same on a fairly regular basis with Outlook.
Killing the orphaned process in Task Manager & then saying No to opening in Safe Mode fixes the issue

So I think the issue may be the app not being closed properly originally

Have you tried opening Access then selecting the specific database from Backstage view?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Have you tried opening Access then selecting the specific database from Backstage view?

Hi Colin, thanks for the reply. Funnily enough, I went down that route after writing the post, and that seems to be working at the moment.

It's almost as if the default Windows action to open an Access file is borked in some fashion.
I wonder if removing the association and then re-instating it might work.

I'm about to go on Holiday, so I won't waste too much time trying to investigate much further today.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Very wise😉 Enjoy your holiday. Going anywhere exciting?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Very wise😉 Enjoy your holiday. Going anywhere exciting?

Golfing for the next three days, then from the middle of next week off to (hopefully) sunny Spain for a week.

As if that wasn't enough when we come back we're going to that there London to watch the Coronation. Following that I'm doing nothing for three months to repair the wallet damage.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:31
then from the middle of next week off to (hopefully) sunny Spain for a week.
My granddaughter is in Barcelona this week visiting a friend who is studying abroad for a year. She landed yesterday and said the weather is great but not warm enough to swim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom