What is this...? (2 Viewers)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Yesterday, 19:32
I do feel your pain though. When my daughter was stationed in DC last time, she said it was sad but funny how badly people handled a minor amount of snow.
I used to live just outside DC. DC is one of the worst places for urban winter driving under snowy/rainy conditions as the temperature fluctuates around 32°F. Creates a veneer of exceptionally slippery ice. Makes for a good "demolition derby".

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:32
During my stay in Fort Worth TX following Hurricane Katrina, I was working on the air base there (joint Navy/Air Force). I had to use the "20" loop to get to work. One day in January of 2006, a winter storm hit and I didn't have either snow tires or snow chains (being from just east of bayou country). I called in and got permission to work from home that day. I'm glad I did. The 10 PM evening news reported that EVERY tow truck operator in Fort Worth had a backlog of 10 or more tickets. There were people who were STILL waiting for a tow at 10 PM. The next day it warmed up to just a cold drizzle, which I felt safe in driving through. On the way to work, I saw not less than five vehicles that had slid off the interstate and down an embankment. The tow drivers were still working that day and the next. When you aren't used to snow and ice, it might be pretty in its own way but it sure is inconvenient.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 16:32
I lived in Missouri for 26 years. Snow and ice every winter. My dad took advantage of cheap studded snow tires every winter (used) for his daily commute vehicle. He would buy the used tires in the fall. The studded tires gave pretty good traction in most cases. Then after the spring melt. He would pull the studs out of the tires and then buy another set the next fall. I think he was paying like five dollars (US) a tire back then.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 16:32
Well, I'm pragmatic so there are certainly times when the "rule" can and should be broken. That said, I can't tell you how often I've been going through town with somebody in the far left of 3 or 4 lanes with nobody in the others. Like you, I have zero problems passing somebody on the right if they aren't moving over as they should.

Trucks can certainly do the "low-speed-pass", but frankly I give them more slack, since they have more difficulty accelerating. I get really miffed at the car that's tooling along for miles next to another car, oblivious to the line of cars stacked up behind them. Okay, yeah, I will also get miffed at the truck at some point. ;)

Yes, I'm with you on that.

My actual pet peeve is the sheer volume (!) of people who seem to totally not have any idea what this sign means, or choose to ignore it completely:
1612201938208.png
or
1612201956351.png

Now is there anyone who doesn't really know what that means? Hey dude, if you're in the right lane, YOUR LANE ENDS, so it's your responsibility to find some place to merge and not at the last second.
But no--they'll wait until the last second, sometimes even GETTING INTO the right lane (inexplicably?), and then honk at ME when they fail to find a convenient spot at that last minute. That p**s me off so much!!

Me being a responsible mature driver, the second I see that sign in the distance, (if I'm in the right most lane), I immediately start making plans to merge, at nobody else's expense.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom