What is wrong with this? (1 Viewer)

Lady Gragor

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:15
I'm having a referencing problem. This is not working. The after update event is on a control located on subform 2.

Private Sub JobNo_AfterUpdate()
If Me!JobNo = "4999" And Forms![frm_Vehicle]![VehicleTimesheetSubFrm]![Driver] = "Person's Name" Then
MsgBox "A Message"
End If

jhuncabas

Local time
Yesterday, 16:15
Hi

I have a form where I enter customer orders, the main form containing customer name address etc.

On this form I have a sub form which holds the individual lines of the order, partno, qty etc.

I need to number these lines starting at 1 for each new order, and increasing for each line of the order.

I can get it to work correctly from line 3 onwards, but I get 2 for the first two lines. I have tried using the value currentrecord and adding 1 , but as I am line 1 when I set the value for line 1 it gives 2, and if I don't add 1 each line number is 1 too low.

Any ideas?

jhun

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:15
a few possible things wrong with this, on the face of it

first, if jobno is a number, then you dont need to enclose it in quote marks

so
If Me!JobNo = 4999 And Forms![frm_Vehicle]![VehicleTimesheetSubFrm]![Driver] = "Person's Name" Then

now "persons name" will specfiically look for a value called "person's name", if instead you are looking for the value of a FIELD called person's name, then, if it has a space you need to enclose it in square brackets

so now we get

If Me!JobNo = 4999 And Forms![frm_Vehicle]![VehicleTimesheetSubFrm]![Driver] = [Person's Name] Then

however, i suspect that your field [persons name] does NOT have the apostrophe in it, as I am pretty sure that is an illlegal character in a field name

Last edited:

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
I'm having a referencing problem. This is not working. The after update event is on a control located on subform 2.

If Me!JobNo = "4999" And Forms![frm_Vehicle]![VehicleTimesheetSubFrm]![Driver] = "Person's Name" Then
MsgBox "A Message"
End If

You need to reference the subform a little further.

If Me!JobNo = 4999 And Forms![frm_Vehicle]![VehicleTimesheetSubFrm].Form![Driver] = "Person's Name" Then

also, if "Person's Name" is a text control that your referencing then I believe you will also need to go a little further with it and do something like this:

If Me!JobNo = 4999 And Forms![frm_Vehicle]![VehicleTimesheetSubFrm].Form![Driver] ='" & Me.[NameOfControlWithPerson'sName] & "'" Then

HTH,
Shane

Lady Gragor

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you for your suggestions.

If Me!JobNo = 4999 I know this part works.

I have tried your suggestions with the following but still having a problem

And Forms![frm_Vehicle]![VehicleTimesheetSubFrm]![Driver] = "Person's Name" Then ....

"Person's Name" is the name of a peson displayed in the field named 'Driver'

WayneRyan

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 00:15
Lady,

"Person's Name" is the name of a peson displayed in the field named 'Driver'

Code:
And Forms![frm_Vehicle]![VehicleTimesheetSubFrm].Form![Driver] = "Person's Name"
                                                                        ^
                                                                        |
                              This is in a field named 'Driver' ???   --+

So, you're comparing two different controls to see if they're the same.

The left one obviously lives on the VehicleTimesheetSubFrm as the field [Driver]

Is the Right one on the main form --> Forms![frm_Vehicle]![Driver]

Wayne

Lady Gragor

Registered User.
Local time
Wayne,

There are two sub forms.
In a control on subform 2 in the after update event, I'm saying if the value is 4999 then check subform 1 to see if the driver is equal to "Name" in the field named Driver. If it is, then give the message.

Lady

CyberLynx

Stuck On My Opinions
Local time
It's just that hard coding a name into your code is rather odd. Normally you would reference another control which contains the name to compare to but to each their own.

Try this:

Code:
If Me.JobNo = 4999 And Forms("frm_Vehicle")("VehicleTimesheetSubFrm").Form.Driver.Value = "Persons Name" Then

Where:

frm_Vehicle is the name of the Main Form

and

VehicleTimesheetSubFrm is then name of the Sub-Form Control loacted on the Main Form. Not the SubForm Form name but the Control Name that is housing the Sub-Form.

and

Driver is a TextBox or ComboBox located within that SubForm.

Lady Gragor

Registered User.
Local time
If I do this..

If Me!JobNo = 4999 Then

MsgBox "Is 4999"

If Forms("frm_Vehicle").Controls("Vehicle_SubFrm").Form.Controls("Driver").Value = "Noddy" Then
MsgBox "This is Noddy"

Else

MsgBox "Yeah it works"

End If
End If

End Sub

It will now compile. I get the messages "Is 4999" and "Yeah it works" but nothing about Noddy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom