What LCD TV is reasonable for the money? (1 Viewer)

rainman89

I cant find the any key..
Local time
Yesterday, 19:02
An HDCP port is an HDMI port which is HDCP enabled.

i have to use components because my hdmi is apparently not hdcp compatible. spent the 30 bucks on the hdmi cable... was kinda sad. dont see a real loss in picture though

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 00:02

Too much information:D . . . . . overload. . . . . . confused

I've only recently discovered what Bluetooth is:rolleyes: and how to get satnav to link to the mobile.

Col

R

Rich

I've only recently discovered what Bluetooth is and how to get satnav to link to the mobile.

By the time any worthwhile HD material becomes available here at areasonable cost the LCD will be obsolete anyway, I shouldn't worry;)

yippie_ky_yay

Registered User.
Local time
Ah, so an hdcp-enabled hdmi port. Thanks for clarifying!

i have to use components because my hdmi is apparently not hdcp compatible. spent the 30 bucks on the hdmi cable... was kinda sad. dont see a real loss in picture though
This is what angers me about this DRM crap. It's there to "protect content" - the end result is someone who can't use his electronics to the fullest in order to "protect" content (from people who always find a way around these things anyways).

By the time any worthwhile HD material becomes available here at areasonable cost the LCD will be obsolete anyway, I shouldn't worry;)
I disagree about available worthwhile HD (especially for gamers), but very true about televisions!
Laser TVs - http://www.lasertvnews.com/features.htm

The one I'm more excited about (think CRT televison but flat and lighter) - surface-conduction electron-emitter display (SED)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SED-tv

chergh

blah
Local time
Everyone should get a HD tele and write to BBC, ITV, SKY etc and demand more HD content that way I'm more likely to get a bigger payrise and bonus. So get writing folks :p

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Trust you to see through my plan:rolleyes:

Col

:) Well been there done that, well almost. Having retired found myself watching tele in the morning room, soon switched the old 15" for a 21" LCD wide screen with Freeview, which taught me one thing, Freeview via a box (which we have on the other Tele) has some distinct advantages over built in, the ability to record without the TV on, and with 2 scart sockets the ability to record a different channel than the one being watched, I take it you are not about to upgrade your Video recorders to one with a built in digital tuner.
You will notice that I haven't got cable or Sky, don't watch enough tele to justify and go to mt daughters for the footy, they have a 36" HD Lcd instant replay box thingy etc etc.

Happy shopping

Bri :D

rainman89

Local time
Definition of freeview please......

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Freeview is a digital service which we can get via the normal TV arial, no satellite dish required, and unlike all other digital services is free. Obviously the number of channels is limited compared to the fee based services. As mentioned earlier a box to provide this can be got for as little as £20.

Brian

R

Rich

And the free Sky channels provided at the minute are about to be put on a pay per view basis. Who the hell wants to pay to watch Sky News?:rolleyes:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
:) Well been there done that, well almost. Having retired found myself watching tele in the morning room, soon switched the old 15" for a 21" LCD wide screen with Freeview, which taught me one thing, Freeview via a box (which we have on the other Tele) has some distinct advantages over built in, the ability to record without the TV on, and with 2 scart sockets the ability to record a different channel than the one being watched, I take it you are not about to upgrade your Video recorders to one with a built in digital tuner.
You will notice that I haven't got cable or Sky, don't watch enough tele to justify and go to mt daughters for the footy, they have a 36" HD Lcd instant replay box thingy etc etc.

Happy shopping

Bri :D

Thanks Bri, is it possible to have a TV with Freeview built in, then also to have a Freeview digibox? I like the Samsung TV shown earlier, but it has Freeview - ok, just use the Freeview box instead?.. . . possible?

For example - I have my cable TV coming through all on channel 5 on the TV, that means the recorder is set to 5 and you can record whatever channel you have on the cable Digibox.
Can you then set up a Freeview box to show on (say) channel 6? Then you could record BBC1 or ITV on the recorder from channel 6 and watch UK Gold (a non-free channel) on channel 5. . . . .will that work?

I detect that you said you can't record built-in Freeview if the set is off? is that the case?

I don't wish to change our DVD recorder as it's only about 3 years old (a Panasonic with hard disc)

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
In essence, the question is, how can I record BBC1 or ITV whilst watching a cable channel at the same time? we do it using analogue at the mo, but that'll be gone at some point.

The answer seems to be a Freeview set-top box?

also, can I use a Freeview set-top box on a TV with Freeview built in?

Sorry to ask so many questions, if I was 10 years old it would be simple.:rolleyes:

Col

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
can I use a Freeview set-top box on a TV with Freeview built in?

This seems to be the key question, and i don't have a definite answer. I don't see why not, but her-in-doors would go mad if I started fiddling about at the moment.

The reason that the tv , mine anyway, maybe some work differently but don't see how, has to be on for me to record a digital channel is that the TV's tuner is selecting the channel, then outputting to the video.

My freeview box on the other tv has 2 scarts , a must have feature if the tv is an old analogue device.

Why do you need freeview if you have cable? Except to record and watch different digital channels, but I think there is another option that gives this, I will try to remember to have a word with son in law tomorrow.

Brian

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Curiosity got the better of me so went on the'phone.

With his Virgin media box he can record upto 3 channels whilst watching a 4th.

He thinks that the Sky+ box is similar.

Brian

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Curiosity got the better of me so went on the'phone.

With his Virgin media box he can record upto 3 channels whilst watching a 4th.

He thinks that the Sky+ box is similar.

Brian
we have virgin, but it's not a recorder, just a digibox.

I'm off to the local business park tomorrow, I'll pop into Curry's and have a word with the children who run it and see what they think.

Col

ps - I'm only retiring from the NHS and getting the NHS pension, sadly I still need to work so maybe will get a job perhaps november time

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:02
Notes in passing: We have SONY BRAVIA. I agree with the "a bit expensive" part, but it has a GREAT look. We got the 34 inch, which by coincidence fits perfectly in our faux fireplace. Honest, less than 1/4 inch on either side and we didn't measure it ahead of time. It just fits that well.

Those who want to consider plasma screens: More modern ones might be better about this, but some plasma designs have an unfortunate tendency to "burn in" an image. My best advice is if you wanted to go plasma, at least invest in a copy of some magazine that has test comparisons. In the USA we have Consumer Reports. Don't know what our UK cousins have, but it is a great reference for comparison shopping.

As to HDMI ports, the newer SONY models have more than one. The 2006 closeout models were limited to one HDMI.

Depending on what you are using for inputs, though, don't ignore the fiber optic option, which SONY supports. You lose very little signal on that. The USA Discovery channels, particularly the Discovery HD channel, are awesome through fiber.

As to which unit to buy, this is one case where magazine shopping cannot be the end. You MUST see the TV you want side by side with its competitors, if that is possible. That is the only way that you would realize that, for instance, the low-contrast models suck for nature shows but are OK for the studio-based comedies and dramas. Not great - but OK.

rainman89

Local time
... but some plasma designs have an unfortunate tendency to "burn in" an image. My best advice is if you wanted to go plasma, at least invest in a copy of some magazine that has test comparisons. In the USA we have Consumer Reports. Don't know what our UK cousins have, but it is a great reference for comparison shopping.

Burns dont start till after 50000 hours or something like that, a few years ago, you definately got a burn. they are getting better and better about it. i can sometimes see "shadows" after i turn it off, but thats the same as with CRT tvs

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom