What the @#$%&* happened? (1 Viewer)

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:01
I have been away for awhile [working on other non Access projects] and when I returned today I see more spam ads than actual Access related posts in the General section.

What the heck has happened to this forum in the last two months?

Is anybody moderating this forum?

:eek:

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:01
It all started a couple of weeks ago and check the post date of the spam before you blow a gasket. These are all new. It is keeping the moderators pretty busy killing them. New ones show up every day.

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Maybe the moderators need to incorporate a new forum [system] rule that you can not include a web link until you have made at least ten posts. That might slow down the turds. I have seen that type of policy in other forums.

I would hope that they can at least block the offenders IP address.

KenHigg

Local time
I try to pop in an work them as I can but Mon am is busy for everyone...

Seems there should be a way to slow them down with out having manually delete them...

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
I don't know how much control they have but I wish them luck. I wonder if someone came up with a signup script they have all been using?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 04:01
It's been so long since I signed up for this forum (and it was actually on different forum software back in 1997 when I did) that I don't know if you have to actually verify your email address when signing up.

If not, it should definitely go to that, at the minimum and then if we get spam at least we know that they had access to that email address and we might be able to notify their provider. But, if they don't have to verify before posting then it's easier to spam as they don't have to even give a valid email address.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Moved to the site suggestions section.

Ghudson, I love the idea, let's home Jon shows up soon, he seems to only come about once a year.

MStCyr

Local time
Don't feel bad. On Nov 29, I reported/complained about the spam. I was basically told that the spam was being handled....Here's the reply from Ken Higg .... apparently we have no spam

---------
Dear MStCyr,

KenHigg has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - For Sale Juicy Couture Sidekick Ii .....$150 - in the Forms forum of Access World Forums.

This thread is located at:
http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=118500&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
What garbage? I try to stay up on it...

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
(rant)I'm sorry folks but I think the Moderators are doing a pretty good job with the tools thay have to work with. It wasn't that long ago when Pat was the only Moderator. At least they can gang up on the problem. They are volunteers too you know. Maybe Jon will implement some tools as were suggested earlier. For now, I for one do not like to see the Moderators trashed. Give them a break! (/rant)

KenHigg

Local time
MStCyr said:
Don't feel bad. On Nov 29, I reported/complained about the spam. I was basically told that the spam was being handled....Here's the reply from Ken Higg .... apparently we have no spam

---------
Dear MStCyr,

KenHigg has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - For Sale Juicy Couture Sidekick Ii .....$150 - in the Forms forum of Access World Forums.

This thread is located at:
http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=118500&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:

I'm not sure I follow what you're trying to say. Can you clarify? I looks as though you've taken quite a bit out of context, etc...

Last edited:

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:01
MStCyr said:
I was basically told that the spam was being handled....Here's the reply from Ken Higg .... apparently we have no spam

I don't read that at all from what you've posted of Ken's reply.

I don't think you're being very fair :mad:

KenHigg

Local time
dan-cat said:
I don't read that at all from what you've posted of Ken's reply.

I don't think you're being very fair :mad:

While you're at it Dan, can you point me to where I said 'What Garbage?'

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
KenHigg said:

Sure thing :p

KenHigg said:

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
ghudson said:
today I see more spam ads than actual Access related posts in the General section.

What the heck has happened to this forum in the last two months?

Is anybody moderating this forum?

It's not just this forum but plenty of others. My own history site has been subject to it, a number of book sites I visit, and other forums too. It would seem that spammers have worked out how to bypas the CAPTCHA verification system. Other forums get less spam activity because the admins are on hand to ban domain names from registration email addresses. I know that I have a huge list of domains that are banned from my history forum and I share this with other sites I'm a member of to prevent spam affecting my online experience.

Unfortunately here, the admin is non-existant, and has no idea that the forum is falling into a mire of spam. I have tried contacting him and find his lack of response extremely annoying. I feel he should check in at least once a week just to ensure things are ticking over. What's the point in having a suggestions forum, for example, if he never reads it?

The moderators, myself included, are doing their best to remove the spam from the forum. Unfortunately, we don't have the ability to ban domains from spamming so when one account is banned, another just sprouts up. It's frustrating. What would help is if the forum's users were more helpful in pointing out the spam to us by using the report post icon (at the top right of the post) to at least notify us. This, at the very least, will help remove those that may otherwise slip through the net.

My last message sent to our admin in absentia was to give me Admin privileges over the board. That way, at least, I'd be able to get the place tidied up once and for all. But, until then, we are just doing the best we can to remove spam with limited tools.

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 13:01
SJ McAbney said:
What would help is if the forum's users were more helpful in pointing out the spam to us by using the report post icon (at the top right of the post) to at least notify us. This, at the very least, will help remove those that may otherwise slip through the net.

Have done that many times and will continue to do if I catch one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom