What's your Mindset? (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 04:53
That is so true. This is why I say self-honesty is the MAIN issue for most people, and for most of the things that are bringing us down in life.
The painful truth is generally speaking, we already know what we need to do to change it ... And we do indeed spend a lot of energy (intellectual pursuit) talking ourselves out of it.

This is an example of when sometimes it's better to just believe in an ideal rather than wait until the day you finally feel it's been proved to you, or you've proved it to yourself. Unfortunately, for the vast majority of people who have things in their life that should be changed for their own good and the good of those around them ... that day will never come, because in many cases we have programmed ourselves or been programmed to continue rationalizing the continuance of it.

The whole point of accumulating knowledge in a civilized world - the whole reason, the whole value - is because each generation can "stand on the shoulders" of the last one. Instead of spending 74 years out of your 75 year life deciding to figure everything out for yourself by having questioned everything, and then spending the last one executing on your knowledge, you can benefit from accepting a certain amount of traditional knowledge and only questioning a small % of it, or questioning the small % that might be unique to your situation.

One of the problems in today's world is the "question everything" and "reinvent everything" mentality that has saturated the younger people.
If each generation tries to figure everything out from scratch, there is nothing left over for profit and enjoyment.

It took me too many years to realize this, but when I did, I was glad I got is settled in my mind at a certain age rather than a later age.

Believe your elders. Save your energy from reinventing everything, as by the time you realize your elders were right 99% of the time, your entire life will be nothing but a heap of regret. One lifetime isn't enough time to re-discover 1000 years of learning from scratch. Humility is required to follow others' suggestions.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:53
Isaac, the other side of that coin is deciding whether your elders knew any better. Take the advice on homosexuality taught by certain groups that would condemn them, shun them, and isolate them - for being true to their inner nature. When the advice of the elders conflicts with more modern findings and understandings, spending time trusting someone whose teachings were wrong suddenly becomes problematical.

You are right, however, that often our elders DID in fact know things worth teaching. Like my father-in-law's advice to "Measure twice, cut once" when doing carpentry work. Like my first engineering supervisor's advice to not fix what ain't broken. Like my physics teacher's advice regarding models: If the math says X but reality says Y, trust reality and look for a new model.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Isaac, the other side of that coin is deciding whether your elders knew any better. Take the advice on homosexuality taught by certain groups that would condemn them, shun them, and isolate them - for being true to their inner nature. When the advice of the elders conflicts with more modern findings and understandings, spending time trusting someone whose teachings were wrong suddenly becomes problematical.

You are right, however, that often our elders DID in fact know things worth teaching. Like my father-in-law's advice to "Measure twice, cut once" when doing carpentry work. Like my first engineering supervisor's advice to not fix what ain't broken. Like my physics teacher's advice regarding models: If the math says X but reality says Y, trust reality and look for a new model.
I agree.

It's good to identify which portion of conventional wisdom needs questioning - but it's still a much smaller percentage than the young folks believe - Indeed, this miscalculation is common to youth. But I would argue, has gotten even a bit worse than normal.

Your example about homosexuality is it good example of what I always say about the pendulum swinging too far to correct or wrong. This is especially true in politics. Shunning and persecuting was never correct. On the other hand, neither is teaching it and many more explicit things to 8 year olds in schools ... which is what they are starting to do now.

As always, the pendulum swung a little too far and actually ironically & unfortunately for those individuals, it will probably eventually swing back again too far on the other direction as an overcorrection..

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:53
@The_Doc_Man Judgments of others should NEVER be made because of someone else's opinion. That isn't what Isaac was attempting to convey. He was talking about lessons from life and history and experts in a field. If you feel the need to judge another person (and I suggest that you avoid this whenever possible), at least do it based on personal experience and provable facts.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 12:53
Judgments of others should NEVER be made because of someone else's opinion. . . . . . . . If you feel the need to judge another person (and I suggest that you avoid this whenever possible), at least do it based on personal experience and provable facts.
Shouldn't that be in the best joke thread?
Col

jpl458

Local time

Occam's Razor

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:53
@The_Doc_Man Judgments of others should NEVER be made because of someone else's opinion. That isn't what Isaac was attempting to convey. He was talking about lessons from life and history and experts in a field. If you feel the need to judge another person (and I suggest that you avoid this whenever possible), at least do it based on personal experience and provable facts.

I was merely pointing out - and Isaac agreed on the particular point - that always following the teachings of your elders is not always a good choice. You ALWAYS need to question whether the advice makes sense. If you took that as specifically judging Isaac, you took it incorrectly.

Isaac said he agrees with me that persecution of homosexuals is wrong. It is a case of laying blame on someone for a choice that they didn't make and in fact for something that never really was a choice.

I agree with Isaac that teaching sexuality to 8-year-old kids is at the very best a questionable choice and at worst is flat-out wrong. The kids are not yet old enough to grasp the concepts.

Is that SO judgmental?

In regard to the facts of homosexuality, nothing is actually provable but there is a pot-load of medical evidence (human and otherwise) that homosexuality is a condition of birth. The human evidence is based on experiments with Positron Emission Tomography back in the 1990s in the UK. Nobody knows ALL of the factors because so far, no "gay" gene has been identified, but it IS a fact that PET scans can identify a person's likelihood to be homosexual, with a very high confidence factor. I'm also dealing with personal knowledge of literally dozens of gays including a couple in my extended family and one in my immediate family. How much evidence and fact do I need to discuss the subject, Pat?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:53
Judging people because of their sexual orientation is what I'm talking about, not naming conventions in a database or how to use a tile cutter to cut a tile or make baked beans.

I was attempting to separate the two concepts, not arguing with anyone. You "judged" Issacs's comment and assumed he was including that you should learn hatred of others from your elders and I was just saying that I don't think he was including hatred as something we should learn from our elders. It is hard to recognize when we are children but we should recognize the bias in our elders as we get older. School could do a better job of countering bias if they weren't so woke. All it takes is talking about it and how you become conditioned by your environment. They've gone over the deep end and right into doing drag shows for children. What they don't get is that they would absolutely not take their children to the same show if the performers were actual women dressed in scanty costumes performing suggestive dances.

There is a difference in "learning" from your elders. Racism is taught, as is hatred for people who are different from what you think of as the "norm". These "opinions" do not occur naturally.

By the time I was in my 20's, I had realized that my parents weren't actually as stupid as I thought they were when I was a teenager.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom