WHERE clause using Between and DateAdd not returning correct results (1 Viewer)

Cosmos75

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:42
I have the following two querydefs. Here is the SQL;
Code:
[b][COLOR="Blue"]qry1[/COLOR][/b]
SELECT [B][dtFind][/B], tblData.dtReading, tblData.dblValue
FROM tblData
WHERE DateDiff("n",[dtReading],[B][dtFind][/B]) Between 1 And CInt([B][intMins][/B]);

[b][COLOR="blue"]qry2[/COLOR][/b]
SELECT [dtFind], tblData.dtReading, tblData.dblValue
FROM tblData
WHERE dtReading Between DateAdd("n",-1*[B][intMins][/B],[B][dtFind][/B]) 
And DateAdd("n",-1,[B][dtFind][/B]);

[dtFind] and [intMins] are parameters.

I use the querydefs is VBA code as such
Code:
Dim db As DAO.Database
Dim rstDataSQL as DAO.Recordset
Dim qdfData As DAO.QueryDef
Dim strQdef As String

Set db = CurrentDb()
strQdef = "qry1" ‘or qry2
Set qdfData = db.QueryDefs(strQdef)

‘Set values of parameters
qdfData![dtFind] = dtDate
qdfData![intMins] = intMins

Set rstDataSQL = qdfData.OpenRecordset

qry2 executes significantly faster than qry1, but I am having issues getting the correct results.

If I set [dtFind] = 12/28/2005 10:47:00 AM, both queries work fine. The last returned record has a value for dtReading of 12/28/2005 10:46:00 AM.

However, if I set [dtFind] = 12/28/2005 10:48:00 AM, only qry1 returns the right records. qry2 will not return the record with dtReading = 12/28/2005 10:47:00 AM, but qry1 will.
:mad:

I changed the Between statement to “Between DateAdd("n",-1*[intMins],[dtFind]) And DateAdd("n", 0 ,[dtFind])” to see what happens. As I expected, records where dtReading = 12/28/2005 10:47:00 AM and 12/28/2005 10:48:00 AM are returned.

The data should be in increments of 1 minute, although there are periods where data is missing. None of the dates have values like 12/28/2005 10:47:01 AM, i.e. seconds value is always 0.

I’ve tried adding “PARAMETERS [dtFind] DateTime, [intMins] Short;”, and also using CDate(DateAdd()) without any luck.

Whether I am using the queries using VBA/DAO or user input to set the parameter values, the results are the same.

What am I doing wrong?
:confused:

Attachments

• BetweenDateAdd2000.zip
    80.4 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

EMP

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:42
In qry2, when intMins =1, the two values in the Between ... And ... are the same. So the query was actually doing an exact match.

Though 28/12/2005 10:47:00 AM is a visual display of an internal dbl number, it can be any one of a range of numbers, varying from - half a second to + half a second.

To test it, you can modify qry2 like this:-
SELECT [dtFind],
cdbl([tblData].[dtReading]) AS Expr1,
cdbl(DateAdd("n",-1*[intMins],[dtFind])) AS Expr2,
cdbl(DateAdd("n",-1,[dtFind])) AS Expr3,
Expr2=Expr3 AS Expr4,
Expr1-Expr2 AS Expr5
FROM tblData;

When dtReading=28/12/2005 10:47:00 AM, dtFind=28/12/2005 10:48:00 AM and intMins=1, you will see that Expr4 returns true while Expr5 shows there is a small difference of 7.27595761418343E-12 between Expr1 and Expr2, causing the exact match of Between ... And ... in the original qry2 to fail.

^

Last edited:

Cosmos75

Registered User.
Local time
EMP,

Thank you for your reply! I was afriad that it was going to be something like that.

I ran into the problem of subtracting decimals recently. I had read FMS's article - "When Microsoft Access Math Doesn't Add Up" before but didn't think of it until I was testing the code. So I am aware that numbers aren't exact representations.

I know that dates, as you said, are actually numbers with decimals (left of decimals = date, right of decimal = time) and was probably subject to some inexactness. I was just hoping that using DateAdd somehow got around any problems. Perhaps using -1 in DateAdd is a bad idea? It is somewhat worrisome to me that an SQL statement that seems to have proper syntax could cause a problem. I wouldn't have even caught it if I wasn't comparing and testing the two different SQL statements.

Is there a workaround to ensure that the proper dates are used? Or perhaps an alternative SQL statement that isn't as slow as qry1. Any ideas, anyone?

Cosmos75

Registered User.
Local time
This SQL statement seems to return the correct records.
Code:
[B]qry3[/B]
PARAMETERS [dtFind] DateTime, [intMins] Short;
SELECT [dtFind] AS dtDate, dtReading, dblValue
FROM tblData
WHERE dtReading >= DateAdd("n",-1*[intMins],[dtFind]) AND dtReading < [dtFind];

Just FYI, this SQL statement also works as well but is not as fast as qry3.
Code:
[B]qry4[/B]
FROM tblData
WHERE dtReading In (SELECT dtReading FROM tblData 
                    WHERE dtReading>=DateAdd("n",-1*[intMins],[dtFind]) And dtReading<[dtFind]);

Now my only concern is to figure out whether qry3 always returns the correct records.
:confused:

Cosmos75

Registered User.
Local time
qry3 still wasn't pulling records properly. Was missing the start dates, i.e. the lower end of the criteria. So I made the folowing changed.

Changed
Code:
[B]qry3[/B]
FROM tblData
WHERE dtReading [COLOR="red"][b]>=[/b][/COLOR] DateAdd("n",-1*[COLOR="Red"][b][intMins][/b][/COLOR],[dtFind]) AND dtReading < [dtFind];
to
Code:
[B]qry3[/B]
FROM tblData
WHERE dtReading [COLOR="Blue"][b]>[/b][/COLOR] DateAdd("n",-1*[COLOR="blue"][b]([intMins]+1)[/b],[[/COLOR]dtFind]) AND dtReading < [dtFind];

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom