Woot!! Glad to see thing hadn't changed since
I left.

One more week folks, then I'm done!!!

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 04:49
Bodisathva said:
Been quiet in here for the past several days. Is there a holiday I don't know about?:confused:

'Been out on a business trip last week, but what bothers me the most is that the sheriff is out of town

Quote from http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=519802#post519802

Can we get higher-up's to check into this for us.

Most likely not, since the highest up is never here.

selenau837 said:
One more week folks, then I'm done!!!

Hi Selena, almost a cobol expert now ? ;)

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Yesterday, 22:49
ColinEssex said:
Get a decent President in would be a start. Try one who dislikes murdering people, doesn't take backhanders for contracts, is honest etc etc oh, and make sure they can read and speak properly:rolleyes:

I couldn't agree more Colin, but why the HELL does everyone feel they need to post about this here? IN an ACCESS forum! A forum where we used to NEVER talk politics. What good does it do?

What did you want to say?

Col

I was recommending that the thread starter not start another thread, because someone will just come along and kill it anyway...

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 03:49
Vassago said:
I couldn't agree more Colin, but why the HELL does everyone feel they need to post about this here? IN an ACCESS forum!
This is the area for any discussion isn't it?

A forum where we used to NEVER talk politics.
Thats true, but I think that went out the window when GWB started his meglamanic world domination crusade, started killing innocent people and made things a whole lot worse than it was.

What good does it do?
Maybe the USA folks will vote in someone really good next time. Could you imagine it in here if the USA voted in Jeb as Prez?

Clinton was good (comparatively) why not get someone like him next time?

Col

R

Rich

Vassago said:
A forum where we used to NEVER talk politics.

That was a long time ago when you were posting frequently and before Bush and Bliar screwed up the world

What good does it do?

If we don't make our feelings known then politicians will get away with whatever they like

Anyway it's the ancient Geeks fault, they started political discussion

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
Anyway it's the ancient Geeks fault, they started political discussion

I think that was the point Vas was trying to make.

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Yesterday, 21:49
Rich said:
If we don't make our feelings known then politicians will get away with whatever they like

So what good does it do to post it in an Access forum? All it has done here is spoil the once-friendly atmosphere. I can see why many people don't bother to post any longer. All threads are about only one topic. How dull.

G.W.Bush

President
Local time
Yesterday, 19:49
Rich said:

Hi ya'll

Just came over to say how much i love reading Rich's posts. He's right ya know, we leaders of the free world love this forum, we can't get enough of it, damn my whole foreign policy is based on what Rich says i shouldn't be doing.

To the rest of you sorry he makes this place so darn crap for you but hell as long he's enjoying himself and providing such valuable insights for me who gives a damn.

Don't forget to vote :D

George W Bush.

R

Rich

MrsGorilla said:
All threads are about only one topic. How dull.
Well who got out the wrong side of the bed this morning? :p

Now here's a brief list of threads in the cooler for you, Vass and everybody else that cares to read, where there is no mention of America or politics :cool: :p

http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=113906
http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=113599
http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=113858
http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=113545
http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=113180

Now where's the evidence for these unfair charges against US! and why do Americans hate talking about politics? :confused:

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
Well dang me Bushy buddy, where d'all come from.

Seems like you have the sense to at least read the forum even though you do the opposite whilst your puppet Blair just goes along in his own world. Carn't you tell him to pop in and pay attention. I tried emailing the him but he doesn't reply

L

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
MrsGorilla said:
So what good does it do to post it in an Access forum? All it has done here is spoil the once-friendly atmosphere.
Oh I don't know - there are several members with whom I am friendly towards.:D ;)

People chat and PM each other behind the scenes and also chat on the dog and bone (phone)

Col

R

Rich

Len Boorman said:
Well dang me Bushy buddy, where d'all come from.

Seems like you have the sense to at least read the forum even though you do the opposite whilst your puppet Blair just goes along in his own world. Carn't you tell him to pop in and pay attention. I tried emailing the him but he doesn't reply

L
:D :D :D :D

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
MrsGorilla said:
All threads are about only one topic. How dull.
I have tried on several occasions to have an intelligent meaningful discussion, but upon mentioning the USA, some of our American colleagues appear oversensitive and assume you are "getting at them":rolleyes: which of course is totally outrageous.:rolleyes:

What Rich and I strive tirelessly to do is to try to keep the US posters informed of current thinking outside of the USA borders, where there actually is a wider world.

Its a thankless task, but we feel confident we will eventually get through so that you (Americans) can vote in a really nice chap (or lady) we all love.

Col

Registered User.
Local time
ColinEssex said:
I have tried on several occasions to have an intelligent meaningful discussion, but upon mentioning the USA, some of our American colleagues appear oversensitive and assume you are "getting at them":rolleyes: which of course is totally outrageous.:rolleyes:

What Rich and I strive tirelessly to do is to try to keep the US posters informed of current thinking outside of the USA borders, where there actually is a wider world.

Its a thankless task, but we feel confident we will eventually get through so that you (Americans) can vote in a really nice chap (or lady) we all love.

Col
Ha ha ha very funny

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Karma said:
Ha ha ha very funny
Why don't you be a real person and show where you are posting from instead of hiding behind geographic anononimity.

Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:49
There are no ancient Geeks posting on this site

Rich, to be fair and honest, I must admit I have been accused of both attributes at different times in my life. Though it is not true that I'm older than dirt. It is just that dirt and I are on a first-name basis. Is that old enough to qualify as ancient? And as for "geek" - I could easily be mistaken for a member of the "Geek Squad" - a division of the Best Buy chain that does high-tech repairs. Except that I do that sort of stuff for the government, not for Best Buy.

Keith Nichols - your apology is accepted and in fact you weren't the first person who ever voiced those concerns. One of the USA senators from a northeastern state said it within a month of Katrina's passage.

You are right that I have a vested interest in my home. Which is why the initial feelings of anger. Don't worry, they have long since passed. Besides which, you are right that there are PARTS of New Orleans for which the idea of rebuilding is just not going to be feasible without a LOT more money than anyone has handy at the moment.

The other comments I made, about how the cost of RELOCATING the port facilities must be used to balance the REBUILDING side of the cost equations, is where I urge you to rethink your logic. If you take that counter-cost into account, I believe there is where your statement betrays a certain "off-handedness" - i.e. not a lot of thought about the ramifications. Which is why I stepped back to explain the problem.

If you remember that everybody has to live and work somewhere and that it is illegal to take land without compensation (and that in the USA, it counts as a "partial taking" to make a decision that limits land use), then build yourself a comparison chart. Look at the cost to rebuild vs. cost to relocate. When you do that, consider factors such as

1. Roads and rights-of-way
2. Bridges and rights-of-way
3. Pipelines, power lines, and rights-of-way
4. Rail terminals, rail yards, airports - and rights-of-way
5. The largest port in the USA by tonnage
6. Factories & refineries that process raw minerals at point of entry.
7. Business offices for everyone dealing with above
8. Housing for same.
9. Schools, hospitals, libraries, theaters, etc.

OK, now factor in that not only do you have to obtain new land for all of the above, which means eminent domain for the public stuff, but you also have that little "fringe" of eminent domain that deals with deprivation of usage for the private property previously applied to the above.

Oh, just to add chaos... change everyone's addresses while you are at it. What do you think would happen if the UK post office had to completely update all addresses for a single large city with a population in excess of 400K residents, about 100K families? Can you say... total chaos?

Wait, I've got it.... in line with Rich's continual conspiracy theories, Hurricane Katrina is a terrorist plot.

R

Rich

The_Doc_Man said:
Wait, I've got it.... in line with Rich's continual conspiracy theories, Hurricane Katrina is a terrorist plot.

Whoah there old man, I've never supported conspiracy theories, just incompetence of those who are supposed to lead

Registered User.
Local time
ColinEssex said:
Why don't you be a real person and show where you are posting from instead of hiding behind geographic anononimity.

Col

London England, how exactly does that help?? Sorry if i don't share your disgust of all things American, and before you say "I don't hate the American people only their president blah blah blah" tell it to someone who cares.

To the Americans on here, I’ve used these forums for the better part of six years and all i can say is the continued sniping and ill disguised bigotry by a vocal minority of English posters does not represent the feelings of a least one of us. It's sad that what was once a good place to be has been degraded and soured but i feel unfortunately that if it wasn't the original intention it is now. I don't know how many more ways people can say we're sick of it, it's pointless, puerile and pathetic.

It says a lot Colin that you feel the need to know where i come from in order to have a dialog with me. Do you really set that much store by a person’s geographic location? Does everyone have to wear a label? What pigeon hole do i fit into? Does this help, 30+ yo, conservative (small c), working class, degree educated, professional, married, well travelled, deist. Welcome to geographic apartheid.

K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom