why can't I save changes after an error? (1 Viewer)

AlanS

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:30
I previously posted this in one of the other forums, but now believe this to be of a more general nature, and am still without a satisfactory explanation or any workaround:

I'm working on a new database with Access 2003, using the 2002-2003 file format. While debugging a VBA code module in the VB editor, whenever I get a runtime error something strange happens - I stop the debugger, correct the code and attempt to save my changes, and Access displays the message "Microsoft Office Access can't save design changes or save to a new database object because another user has the file open. To save your design changes or to save to a new object, you must have exclusive access to the file." It then persists in denying me the ability to save ANYTHING until I close the VB editor, close the Access application, and then start over again. In fact, there is no other user - all other machines on the network are turned off, and no other instances of Access or the VB editor are open.

Needless to say, this is slowing my development efforts to a crawl, and I'm totally stumped by it - I never remember running into this problem in years of working with Access 97 (where I can hit errors, stop execution, make any needed corrections to code or other objects, and re-run the application, without having to exit). I'm running this on a P4 3.4 GHz box with 1 GB of RAM. Going into Tools, Options, Advanced and switching the "Default open mode" between Shared and Exclusive makes no difference.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Do you have any timer events running? NEVER attempt to make code changes while a timer event is running. Just stop the execution at the point of error and close whatever form has the timer event. Then and only then can you make code changes.

If you have no timer events running, you need to stop the code, then make your changes and save them. If you change the code while the event is still "running", your changes may not be saved.

AlanS

Registered User.
Local time
Pat, there are no timers anywhere in the database. And I'm already doing what you suggest (stopping the code, making the needed changes, and attempting to save those changes), but it just won't let me save ANYTHING until both Access and the VB editor have been shut down and re-started.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
That is not the normal behavior. Has this just started happening? If so, close Access and reboot. You might also want to compact and repair. You can also try the /decompile switch (search for description how to use it). Another possibility is that you need to repair the Office installation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom