Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 18:44
I have had
(Toshiba win 7),
(Asus Win 7)
(HP Win 7)
talk to each other many times over my wireless LAN (Netgear)
After I put (Dell Win 8) into the mix,
(Toshiba win 7) and (Asus Win 7) will talk to each other and to (Dell Win 8), but not (HP Win 7)

but (HP Win 7) will talk to (Toshiba win 7) (Asus Win 7) but not (Dell Win 8).
When I try to connect to (HP Win 7) from the other 3 it wants network credentials.

When I try and connect from (HP Win 7) to (Dell Win 8). It says I don’t have permission. I have checked every sharing setting I can find, and made sure network detection is on.

I have tried taking (Dell Win 8) out of the mix and rebooting the other three. (no luck)

I have tried unplugging my router, rebooting my 3 win 7’s with Win 8 off and then restarting my router. (no luck)
1. First question I have if anybody can help, is the network credentials the user name and password of my router? I tried entering admin, gsadmin
NETWORK INFORMATION
-----------------------------

2. Second question I have is what computer wants the network credentials, (sending, such as the Asus or Toshiba) or the receiving (HP Win 7)?

My life was a lot simpler before 8!!!

Thanks in advance if you can help!

Last edited:

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:44
2nd question first

2. Second question I have is what computer wants the network credentials, (sending, such as the Asus or Toshiba) or the receiving (HP Win 7)?

Rather than trying to sort each one out with each other I suspect your problem is with the change in networking groups in Win 8. Basically in Win 7 all computers can be in the same home group but in Win 8 they need to be in the same work group, rather then explain it here's and article on how to setup a network for different version of windows clicky.

1. First question I have if anybody can help, is the network credentials the user name and password of my router? I tried entering admin, gsadmin

I doubt you'll need this after you get the group this sorted (unless one of your machines has lost it's wireless connection credentials to the router EDIT erm sorry come to think of it you wont need to do this as the machine to router connection will be handled by your security key so unless you need to access your routers setup) but if you do and you haven't changed them from the default (tisk tisk) it should be either on the bottom of the router or in the manual or of course just search for the router model and default user name/ password.

If you have changed it and have forgotten it and you still need to get access (short of hacking it) the easiest thing to do it reset it to factory defaults (instruction should be as above) but remember you will need your ISP information before doing this.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 18:44
2nd question first

Rather than trying to sort each one out with each other I suspect your problem is with the change in networking groups in Win 8. Basically in Win 7 all computers can be in the same home group but in Win 8 they need to be in the same work group, rather then explain it here's and article on how to setup a network for different version of windows clicky.

I doubt you'll need this after you get the group this sorted (unless one of your machines has lost it's wireless connection credentials to the router EDIT erm sorry come to think of it you wont need to do this as the machine to router connection will be handled by your security key so unless you need to access your routers setup) but if you do and you haven't changed them from the default (tisk tisk) it should be either on the bottom of the router or in the manual or of course just search for the router model and default user name/ password.

If you have changed it and have forgotten it and you still need to get access (short of hacking it) the easiest thing to do it reset it to factory defaults (instruction should be as above) but remember you will need your ISP information before doing this.

Thanks, that will be a good start. I have all the info from my router, but I agree with you, I think it is all in the groups, especially since that is the only area Iv haven't poured over. All my computers have access to the router since they will all talk to some but not all. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom