Question Windows 10 Upgrade (1 Viewer)

Eljefegeneo

Still trying to learn
Local time
Today, 03:04
At our office we have 5 desktops running Windows 7 that are getting old and need to be replaced. One is used as the remote link from which I can connect to the server at work from home. The new ones will have Windows 10. The first one to be replaced had a problem installing Access 2010. Not being on site, I told them that there was probably a problem with the Program Key. The problem arises is that our new outside Technical service advised a switch to Access 2019; probably Office 2019 as well. Since I am running Access 2010 on a desktop using Windows 10, I am loath to install a new product as I am the one making all the changes, fixing bugs, etc. on the several different databases that we run.

I checked out the site that shows the differences between the two versions:
https://www.fmsinc.com/MicrosoftAccess/history/features.htm and I cannot see any changes that would affect the DBs and now designed.

Or would they? My initial reaction was to tell them to find a copy of Access 2010 for sale, install it and then use it as it works fine on my home desktop.
But I thought I would ask for advice on this matter on the forum. Am I correct in assuming that Access 2010 still has a long shelf life even though it is "no longer supported"? And shouldn't we be able to install Office 2010 Pro (the versions we are using) on the new computers from our old disks? Or not?

So, any advice would be a great help in deciding what to do about this situation.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 10:04
I'm still using Access 2007 on windows 10 and though I would say I do not use it to the extent of professionals, have not noticed any problems since moving from windows 7.

Eljefegeneo

Still trying to learn
Local time
Apparently the outside tech convinced them to[FONT=&quot] installed Office 2019 for Word, Excel, PowerPoint using the subscription based service. So I don't know if there were any problems installing Office 2010 on the new computer. [/FONT]

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
If they have installed Office 365 recently, the default installation is now 64-bit (assuming Windows in also 64-bit)

If any of your code uses APIs , you were need to modify that for use with 64-bit Access

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:04
IMHO the major PITA with 365 is that updates are automatic unless you go to some lengths to prevent them. There is even a web page/blog devoted to the Access bugs that "upgrades" introduce and people find themselves looking to roll back somehow. Given the age of the prior versions, I can't help but wonder if any of your db's used replication. If yes, you are in for a surprise - they won't open.

Eljefegeneo

Still trying to learn
Local time
Not exactly sure what is replication, but when I looked it up it was confusing to me so I guess we have never used it. Thank you.

The question remains is if I continue to operate in Access 2010 but some people have Access 2019 on their workstations, can they open the DB?

Or should I get a copy of the 2019 version, test migrating the DB to it and see if there are any problems. Could I do this with the runtime version of 2019?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
The question remains is if I continue to operate in Access 2010 but some people have Access 2019 on their workstations, can they open the DB?
If your database is not too complex and doesn't use any special or deprecated features, then yes, it should continue to work with 2019.

Or should I get a copy of the 2019 version, test migrating the DB to it and see if there are any problems. Could I do this with the runtime version of 2019?
Yes, you can try to use a 2019 runtime to test your db but you won't be able to debug any problems using it.

Eljefegeneo

Still trying to learn
Local time
OK, one more question. If I already have Access 2010 (as part of the Office 2010 Suite) installed on my computer, can I install Access 2019 on the same machine? I have researched this but all the answers are very confusing.

What I want to do is as per my previous post. Test the current DBs on Access 2019 but still have Access 2010 on my machine.

Problems? Suggestions?

Thanks.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Yes you can do so (providing both versions have the same bitness). In fact, I have exactly that setup on my main PC.

However, unless you are very careful, you will end up reconfiguring Office whenever you switch from one Office version to the other.

To avoid this, I would instead recommend you do one of the following as well as keeping Office 2010 as your 'default' on the workstation
a) Add the runtime version of Access 2019/365
b) Install the full version of Access 2019/365 on a virtual machine

If all you want to do is develop in 2010 and test in 2019/365, I would use method a) ...which will also save you money!

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
you haven't said - but I presume your databases are .accdb. If they are.mdb, there is a chance 2019 cannot read them as the ability to read pre access 2000 mdb's was deprecated with access 2013

Eljefegeneo

Still trying to learn
Local time
I'm using 2010, so they are in accdb format.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom