Windows 7 Trust Centre? (1 Viewer)

Lateral

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:33
Hi guys

I have an Access 2007 database deployed on a Windows 7 PC via the Access 2010 Runtime.

At startup of the database, I am getting what I think is the Windows 7 Trust Centre prompt warning about potentially dangerous etc etc etc.

I can't figure out how to tell Windows 7 that the folder that the database is in is to be trusted....

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Greg

EternalMyrtle

I'm still alive
Local time
As far as I know, it shouldn't matter which OS you are using: you should set the trusted locations in Access, not in the OS.

Did you set the trusted locations in the accdb (Access version) of the database by going to:

Access>Access Options>Trust Center>Trust Center Settings>Trusted Locations?

Is the accdr (Runtime copy) saved in the same folder as the accdb? If not, you need to make both locations trusted.

Also be sure that you are choosing the main folder and not a subfolder.

Lateral

Registered User.
Local time
Hmmm,

I have the main folder called "C:\RPR Access" configured in the "Trusted Locations".

The FE is called "LateralWO.accdb" and the BE is located in a subfolder and is called "LateralWO_be.accdb".

I was not aware of the ACCDR functionality and even after Googling it I am still not 100% clear on when and where to use it. I simply installed the Access 2010 Runtime onto the Windows 7 PC.

Should I be renaming "LateralWO.accdb" to "LateralWO.accdr"????

Regards
Greg

EternalMyrtle

I'm still alive
Local time
Did you make sure that sub folders are allowed in the trusted location (double click on the location and check to see if the checkbox "Subfolders of this location are also trusted" is checked)?

As for the accdr thing: afar as I know, it is not necessary to change the extension from accdb to accdr. I do it because I want my users to only open it in runtime since I have not yet split the database but any knowledgeable user can change the extension anyway.

Lateral

Registered User.
Local time
Yep, the sub folders option is ticked. I've been looking around further and reading about "Publish Package and Sign" and I'm wondering if this is what I should be doing in order to create a "package" that I then send to the user, that they then install and it does all of the "trust" stuff automatically.... What do you think? Regards Greg

EternalMyrtle

I'm still alive
Local time
Don't know but it sounds promising!

I am still in the testing phase myself so when I distribute to users I only give them a copy to play around with. Since I am distributing via a network, the Trusted Locations settings work just fine so long as I check "allow trusted locations on my network (not recommended)". I put the runtime copy for users to experiment with in a different trusted location on the network. This seems to work fine for now since I only have a limited numbers of users who are helping with development and testing but I will run into more of these problems in the future if I plan on doing things the "right way", whatever that is.

Hopefully someone with more experience in distributing a database can be of more assistance.

EternalMyrtle

I'm still alive
Local time
By the way, it makes sense that you would have to change the trusted location for each front end that you load so that it refers to a folder on that user's computer.

One question though: the c drive is usually a local drive so how are you linking the front ends to a location on your local drive? Is the computer a server?

Lateral

Registered User.
Local time
The back end is in the folder "C:\RPR ACCESS\Backend" and the FE is in the folder "C:\RPR ACCESS\". Access sets all of this up when you split the database....

EternalMyrtle

I'm still alive
Local time
I think you should put the backend in a shared location so it can be linked and used by your users front ends (like a network location). Then you can make that the trusted location.

I am going to try splitting mine soon. Perhaps I can be of more assistance once I do that and have practical knowledge of the process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom