Windows sharepoint compared to Microsoft Access (1 Viewer)

Mick_Beveridge

Local time
Today, 07:57
Does anyone know the main differences of using Windows Sharepoint to share data compared with Access?

Last edited:

Mick_Beveridge

Local time
Today, 07:57
I'm looking at the differences in how sharepoint shares data compared to Access. I have never used sharepoint before. If anyone could give a general overview of the difference in which they spare data, it would be massively appreciated. I am extremely desperate for any help on this. It is an exam question and I do not have the slightest idea about it.

Last edited:

Bigmo2u

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:57
I have used Sharepoint and you can't store the same type of data on sharepoint that you can in Access. Sharepoint you share Documents, ie spreadsheets, word Docs, powerpoint slides and PDFs to name a few, But not raw data. Does this help at all?

Rats

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:57
Access 2007

I have just done some preliminary reading on Sharepoint Services as I have just installed Office 2007 & have been reviewing the changes from 2003. It appears that an Access 2007 file can be moved to a Sharepoint Services site as quoted from Access 2007 Help below:-

You can share and manage data in many ways by using Microsoft Office Access 2007 with Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0. You can benefit from the collaboration features of a SharePoint site while continuing to use the data entry and analysis features of Access. For example, you can track versions of data, subscribe to alerts so that you know when changes are made, and manage permissions for the data.

I am particularly interested in this as we are looking at downsizing our office requirements by outposting staff to work from home via VPN. We have an Access Database that they need to use and I am hoping that this (Sharepoint) will enable us to update via the VPN with little trouble.

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
Today, 15:57
Think you could be up the creak without a paddle here

My belief and I could well be wrong is that Sharepoint is a bit of a dumb FE.

Yes you can look at data but I do not believe that you can say run a parameter query from the Sharepoint end and get a result in the same way as you would in Access.

Similarly I think there would be similar difficulties when adding data where you maybe wanted to fire som after update queries.

Not at all certain about this cos everybody where I work says Sharepoint can do everything but then that is the Management speaking. mention Referential Integrity, Normalisation or anything like that and the eyes glaze over and the topic changes.

All I would say is go carefully and test whatever you say can be done before committing

L

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
Today, 15:57
Forgot to say

Yes you can use Access 2004 to directly access a Sharepoint Site and do all the things you can normally do

But that is Access to Sharepoint not Sharepoint to Access

L

Last edited:

Rats

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:57
Thanks for your reply. I'll certainly check it out before committing to any changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom