Woman? (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:11
Here's a stand up joke that begs a question...

I added a scenario, let's say you swap out the woman for a trans woman, would it make any difference?

But here's the killer question,

This is a trans woman:-

A brilliant actress whom I perceive as female and would trust with children.... (As per the joke above)

This means I identify two types of trans women, those who are real women, and those who pretend they are women.

There's a lot here already, so this next bit could do with its own thread. There are some biological women that shouldn't be aloud near kids ..

I was stopped by the police. There was a long screwdriver on the passenger seat, the officer asked me about it. I explained it, and the officer was happy. I discovered later that the officer was concerned that the screwdriver was an offensive weapon.

Basically, it is "intention"... Was my intention to use it as a weapon?

Is the real difference between a real trans woman and a dodgy one perceived intention? The intention "we" ascribe to the person? That is even more dodgy....

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Do trans stereotype women by adopting traditional women's traits? If so, does that make them sexist?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Do trans stereotype women by adopting traditional women's traits?
Are you saying, If a man aspires to be a woman, transitions to a woman:- clothing, makeup, high pitched voice, chest enlargement, hair style, hair removal ... That is just a stereotype of a woman, not a real woman?

And you add, does that make them sexist?

I need a definition of "Sexist" in this context....

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I would add behavioural characteristics to that. When I refer to stereotype, I mean if they transition, they adopt what they may consider to be a traditional woman, who look and perhaps behave in a particular way. Therefore, does that mean they are stereotyping women? I am not referring to the argument of if a trans person is a woman or not.

I am using this definition of sexist:

1653657734886.png

If you cannot tell if someone is a man or a woman, unless you ask them for their pronouns, it follows that any assumptions about how they should look according to their gender represents stereotyping.

1653657972070.png

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:11
What a thought
Children can't dress up as Indians or anything else remotely ethnic. Not sure how how you play cowboys and Indians any more. Performers can't wear blackface. So how can men dress up as women? How can western politicians and their wives dress up in native clothing when they go abroad? Bring out all the pictures of politicians in Mao jackets or Nero jackets or their wives in sarongs.

I always thought the dress up business was a celebration of the culture and black face was a tribute to the black performers who, at the time, were not allowed to perform their own material in the Minstrel shows.

There is a difference between dressing up like a woman and "being" one and that is why some trans people are accepted and others not.

PS, is Uncle back at the pub already:)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:11
This means I identify two types of trans women, those who are real women, and those who pretend they are women.

The difference is commitment. Those who dress up and prowl the night in drag are seeking the experience, perhaps trying to decide, or perhaps enjoying the deception and not the actual experience. Those who save up the money and go under the knife to permanently live as a woman are fully committed. To be fair, those who have not had surgery yet could also be unsure, since the surgery cannot be reversed to full function. Sort of like the difference between a chicken and a pig at breakfast time. If breakfast is bacon and eggs, a chicken is involved but a pig is committed.

We cannot forget that it has been medically demonstrated that people can have a brain configured to a different structure than their body. There IS such a thing as a "male" or "female" brain independent of genitalia. It was shown in the 1990s in a UK based medical study using Positron Emission Tomography. AND that study eventually correlated homosexuality and having the mixed brain/genitalia configuration. It wasn't an absolute correlation, so other factors CAN be involved. But for many persons who identify as a trans-whatever, there is a good chance that they are being guided by the most powerful of ALL sex organs - the brain. When the brain says "GO" you go after the person. When the brain says "NO" you turn over and go to sleep no matter HOW good-looking your partner of the night.

Therefore, if a trans woman has had the surgery, it is entirely possible that it was that way because she was born into the wrong body - literally. And that kind of trans woman would usually be the more convincing kind.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Now THERE is a phrase that is totally different between the USA and UK... "Knock us up."

In the UK, it is more like "visit, come knock on the door" or something like that.

In the USA, to "knock someone up" is to get them pregnant.

Depending on exactly how cordial that visit would be, I guess both interpretations COULD happen if the visitor was female.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Naw, knowing how hard headed we are, we would probably spend all night arguing who would do what to whom and how, then when morning comes we would just say, "Aw, to Hell with it" and go home.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Sorry, I didn't even think it was different in the USA.its a common UK phrase, I didn't do it to upset anyone.
Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Naw, knowing how hard headed we are, we would probably spend all night arguing who would do what to whom and how, then when morning comes we would just say, "Aw, to Hell with it" and go home.
Is that your normal technique?
Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
To attempt to bring humor into a conversation? Yes, that is my normal technique. Were you thinking of something else, Col?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 03:11
I would add behavioural characteristics to that. When I refer to stereotype, I mean if they transition, they adopt what they may consider to be a traditional woman, who look and perhaps behave in a particular way. Therefore, does that mean they are stereotyping women? I am not referring to the argument of if a trans person is a woman or not.

I am using this definition of sexist:

View attachment 100831

If you cannot tell if someone is a man or a woman, unless you ask them for their pronouns, it follows that any assumptions about how they should look according to their gender represents stereotyping.

View attachment 100832
I propose that a comma be added to the Stereotype definition, followed by the following phrase: Usually based in actual fact & from real observations
Now I believe that's what liberals call an "uncomfortable truth" ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom