Works on my machine but fails on server (1 Viewer)

MikeAngelastro

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:05
Hi,

I am customizing an Accounting application using my machine (OS = Windows XP) for use under Terminal Services on the server (OS = Windows 2000). I made a recent change that works on my machine but fails on the server. We are using Access 2002.

What is odd about this is that, when the error appears, it equals zero.

I have made hundreds of changes to the application and, if they worked on my machine, they worked on the server – except for this time.

Does anyone have an idea of how I can solve this?

Another interesting thing about this is that the application being used on the server is an MDE. When I tried to run the equivalent MDB in order to troubleshoot, I get compile error indicating that the "Me" feature of the object library is not supported as soon as the form opens. This does not happen with MDE. Anyone have any ideas about this error? Could it be related to the other problem?

Thanks,

Mike

RichMorrison

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 18:05
Gee Mike,

Care to give us a clue about what you changed?

RichM

Travis

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 16:05
Odds are you have a broken reference. Check the MDB version and see if a reference is broken.

MikeAngelastro

Registered User.
Local time
OK.

There is an assembly feature in the program where, after a product has been assembled, the program will reduce the parts counts appropriately and increase the count of the product that was assembled so that the table storing the inventory quantities would reflect the new reality. However, the parts could be located in more than one location in the warehouse. The user needs to be able to designate the location of each part so that the real locations would be adjusted; the program assumes that everything has only one location which is stored in the Inventory table as the default location. I have enabled the program to allow the user to select the location and to adjust those only those locations.

At the same time I am involved in a project to make it easier for the user to reconcile the subledgers to the general ledger; this includes Inventory. I needed to change the posting process in order to enable this. The subledger for inventory is the Inventory Transactions table. I now base the posting of inventory transactions directly on this table; that was not the process followed by the program before this. As the transaction is posted, I record in the GL table the transaction ID in the Inventory Transaction table to provide a link.

I'm not sure if all this is helpful and it is quite involved, but as I make progress the program works on my machine but suddenly not on the server. To eliminate Terminal Services as a possibility, I ran the application directly on the server; the error was the same.

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks,

Mike

MikeAngelastro

Registered User.
Local time
Yes I did check the references. That was the first thing I had thought about. There was no broken reference indicated.

WayneRyan

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 00:05
Mike,

If the error = 0 then you are not getting a real error.

Maybe you are "falling" into an error handler unintentionally.

On Error GoTo MyErrors
'
' Do some code like enable a control, etc. (and forget to
' put an Exit Sub
'

MyErrors:
' Your error is 0 if you fall into this from above.

Wayne

MikeAngelastro

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Wayne.

I did think of that and that was why I tried to run the program as MDB instead of an MDE. But when I did this, I got what looks like a reference error.

Mike

WayneRyan

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 00:05
Mike,

Did it highlight something like a Mid, Left or Date function? If
so, then it is references. Normally, when it works on one
machine and not the other, its references.

Wayne

MikeAngelastro

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Wayne.

When what looks like a reference error shows, the word "Me" is highlighted.

Mike

Travis

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 16:05
If there does not seem to be any broken references and you are still getting an intrinsic command highlighted then remove any of the references and add it back in (make sure you leave the reference screen between the remove and add processes) this will cause the MDB to refresh its references.

MikeAngelastro

Registered User.
Local time
Solution! Thanks to Travis. At least to the MDB aspect of the problem.

Even though none of the references showed as missing, the offending reference was OLE Automation. I suspected this one because it was the "Me" keyword that was highlighted when the error occurred.

I guess the bottom line is that if it works on one machine but not another, the problem is due to a faulty or missing reference. I'll have to remember this one. At least now I will be able to troubleshoot the original error.

Thanks again, Travis.

Mike

MikeAngelastro

Registered User.
Local time
After fixing the reference error, I was able to identify the other problem.

In order to do what I had originally intended, I had to add a field to a table in the backend database. I did it to a copy of the backend database but forgot to do it to the real backend database. I was not thorough enough with error trapping to make it immediately apparent what was happening. I took care of both of these things and now the app works in both places.

This is one more reason a change may work on the development machine and not on the server.

So I humbly lay this one to rest.

Thanks to all of you for your help on this.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom