worth linked to unlinked table (1 Viewer)

prodigy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:08
Dear friend,
I have a question if anyone can help me out. I have as assignment to do for a small firm. Dataentry application primarily with few search and edit functions. This will be used by multi-user.
I am yet to decide whether to make the form and the database linked or unlinked. What I mean is:
1) I want to keep form and db in seperate mdb.
2) I have to decide if the form (in seperate PCs) should be linked to the db over network or should it be programmatically connected.
3) I have a feeling that if the tables are linked with the form (the tables that i see in the database window), then when I open the form the underlying records/table will gush into the client PC jamming the network.
4) If i programmatically connect the form with the tables in the network db based on query then probably only the required record will come through the network and fill my form not jamming the network.

Any idea, pls help.
Regards,
Prodigy.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:08
Linked tables only use the network when you actually access them. There is nothing Access has in the background that will access a table unless you do it by say opening a form that has a RecordSource. Then only the table in the RecordSource will be accessed.

prodigy

Registered User.
Local time
thanks but few doubts left

Thanks for the prompt response. I think the response is the answer to my query still have some doubts. If you can help further.
I want to know if I there is any diff in the following scenario:
1>
A) My client PC has mdb (forms/queries) which has linked tables with db in the network server.
B) My clieny PC only has forms and programmatically connect to db (tables) in the network server.
if my forms are based on query then is it only the selected record that is gushing through the network to the client PC or the entire table.

2> If my client PC has only forms and the (query & tables) are stored in the network server then when I open the form based on query is it only the selected record that is gushing through the network to the client PC or the entire table.
I hope I was able to convey my requirement.
Regards,
Prodigy.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:08
Have a look at RoyVidar's posts in this thread. He also references several other threads that you might also follow. They seem to cover much of the area where you have questions.

prodigy

Registered User.
Local time
thanks

Hi Allan,

Thanks for enlightening me. Your post is really helping me.

Regards,

Prodigy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom