Yes/No Check Mark on Report (1 Viewer)

waseem0888

Local time
Today, 21:13
Hello guys,

I am very new to access and learning i need help to yes/no create check boxes as follows i will select item from dropdown list and then for that item i will check yes or no on the form and it will automatically checked on report i need suggestions do i need to design extra tables and queries etc.. for better understanding i have attached the picture.

Thanks,
access.jpg

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
.... do i need to design extra tables and queries etc.. .....
Who knows? We don't even know what tables and fields you have already.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
As long as you update the field in the table for the relevant fruit(I'm guessing this is not real data again :() then it will appear on the report.
How you do that is up to you.

waseem0888

Local time
Who knows? We don't even know what tables and fields you have already.
Sorry above picture was only to understand my requirement let me begin with my story actually i just got this database to handle the person left who had create it and i don't ha prior knowledge in Access databases I just took some tutorials and read some books on internet to understand about tables, quires etc... and got some basic knowledge of VBA to understand coding done in this database. the forms link to this database don't have Yes/No check marks so i just stuck there. This was new form requirement to design the reports for other project so I just made a copy of previous database and done with some fields modifications as per in the report requirement for new template. Any how I managed to designed whole new report and everything is working fine but for this yes and No I don't understand what to add into current database I will explain about fields through pictures so it may more clear.

Main Register fields

1595675075518.png

1595675086239.png

1595675097882.png

And this is the table discipline from where the data coming for discipline dropdown list

1595675207502.png

Here we select other on the dropdown list and it will appear on the form with check mark

1595675274363.png

1595675284289.png

The same way I want to create one dropdown list on the same form for below yes/no check boxes I can get data from the table discipline for dropdown list or we can type list in combo box just want to select the value from the list and then check yes or no on the form and it will show on the report that's it. for this if we have to create fields in new tables or in existing tables no problem.

1595675757550.png

Last edited:

waseem0888

Local time
As long as you update the field in the table for the relevant fruit(I'm guessing this is not real data again :() then it will appear on the report.
How you do that is up to you.
hi kindly read my reply above about my requirements in detail I just need to print check mark on report when I select item from dropdown and click yes and then No should be unchecked if data is storing any where in the filed no problem else if we can just show up check mark on the report while printing the report this is only my requirement

Dreamweaver

Local time
Just a quick look at them pictures tells me you really need to read up on Normalisation I'm not going to list all the errors but you really need to sort that out before continuing.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Just a quick look at them pictures tells me you really need to read up on Normalisation I'm not going to list all the errors but you really need to sort that out before continuing.
Whilst I would normally agree with that statement, I think the fact that DB was inherited and lack of knowledge of the O/P makes that an impossible task.? If not impossible then way beyond the expertise of the O/P ?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
@waseem0888
All those pictures do not explain the problem to me.
A lot would depend on your structure.

The way I would try and approach this is
In the source for the combo, bring in the fields that you wish to set to True/False
When an entry in the combo is selected, set the various controls from the respective columns of the combo source.
Vice versa if you are updating the Yes/No controls.
You would need some logic to update the Yes/No controls depending on the value of the field.

In your report you would use the same logic to update the report.

Not something I have had to do TBH, but worth a try?

HTH

Last edited:

Dreamweaver

Local time
Whilst I would normally agree with that statement, I think the fact that DB was inherited and lack of knowledge of the O/P makes that an impossible task.? If not impossible then way beyond the expertise of the O/P ?
Thanks @Gasman Didn't know that skimmed to quick

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:13
suggest you talk to the developer of the db and discuss your request change.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 16:13
I'm kind of lost as to why the choice of a combo list item isn't enough to signify True (checked) or False (not checked). Whether or not it is to check (or not) the box, or if it is to show (or not) the box, shouldn't the choice of the list item be able to take care of that?

I guess the info is still too sketchy to provide focused answers as it may also be that there is only one checkbox and its label needs to be apple/orange or whatever has been selected. That's a different thing altogether. In that case, why not just have a textbox bound to the a source that contains the selected list item and show the selected item rather than a checkbox to show that? The checkbox seems redundant.

waseem0888

Local time
Thank you so much bro for your suggestions i will look into this as well. :)

waseem0888

Local time
@waseem0888
All those pictures do not explain the problem to me.
A lot would depend on your structure.

The way I would try and approach this is
In the source for the combo, bring in the fields that you wish to set to True/False
When an entry in the combo is selected, set the various controls from the respective columns of the combo source.
Vice versa if you are updating the Yes/No controls.
You would need some logic to update the Yes/No controls depending on the value of the field.

In your report you would use the same logic to update the report.

Not something I have had to do TBH, but worth a try?

HTH
Thanks bro for your suggestion sorry things little bit taking time to understand how things are working in access DB I am the guy who done MS in software Eng. but got job in networks ;) so from long time I didn't touch anything about software and just started access DB to learn something new. I understand that the whole things are not clear to you. Searching through google I have already done how I will bring my data through table in combo source and I got it in the list but after selecting value in dropdown how my selected value and Yes/No check box will work on report that I didn't find and I came here to get some idea I am not worried about my DB how I will do in that but just want some idea about the logic how this things will work in access.

Last edited:

waseem0888

Local time
suggest you talk to the developer of the db and discuss your request change.
Thank you but I cannot contact that guy because he left the organization and this DB was not created professionally by any developer that person just learnt access and developed for his work but he left to other company.

waseem0888

Local time
I'm kind of lost as to why the choice of a combo list item isn't enough to signify True (checked) or False (not checked). Whether or not it is to check (or not) the box, or if it is to show (or not) the box, shouldn't the choice of the list item be able to take care of that?

I guess the info is still too sketchy to provide focused answers as it may also be that there is only one checkbox and its label needs to be apple/orange or whatever has been selected. That's a different thing altogether. In that case, why not just have a textbox bound to the a source that contains the selected list item and show the selected item rather than a checkbox to show that? The checkbox seems redundant.
Yes sorry the first picture is not cleared i didn't remove the label apple on the form and in those two blocks I represent form and report both so let me clear with some more pictures hope you will get some idea.

Method 1 item will selected through combo box and then check box Yes or No on the form and it will appear on the report for same fruit see below here how I want on the form and on the report.
Combo.jpg

Method 2 we can do same for the form and report by this way.

List.jpg

Or by 3rd method same list on the form and report as well but this will consume little more space on the form because I have some extra things to add on the form. Any how any of these three methods are fine I will manage but just want to know how the whole thing will work if someone can create small DB as a demo it will help me a lot to understand the whole thing.

slide.jpg

Thanks

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:13
yes, i agree with the other, you have normalization problem there in your table, esp tblAttributeDisciplines.
you only need DisciplineID and ProjectID there.
anyway, I saw there is "Other" there.
maybe you can add the ProjectID to the "Other" record.

on your Report, you can Check the "Other" checkbox using Expression.
example: say your "Other" checkbox on the report is named: chkOther.
it's controlsource is:

=(DCount("1", "tblAttributesDiscipline", "Code=99 And Instr(Project, '" & [Project] & "'")>0)

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 16:13
IMHO, your report and form design is all wrong. Imagine that you need to add another option - you will have to modify the design of every form/report/query that supports this; a sure sign of improper design. Just choose the item from the combo and show the selection in a report textbox - one control taking up the space of one control yet allowing umpteen possibilities. How you get that in there I don't really know because whether the combo is bound or not is unknown. I suspect not, so I'd probably use the OpenArgs property to open the report and pass the value to it, then pass it to the report textbox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom