Yid Army! (1 Viewer)

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:03
Acceptable or not?

Would seem to me its hard enough to keep track of what the correct words are. To then work out if you are in teh right group to use the word too, adds even more confusuion.

I see that spurs fans jewish or actually teh vast majority non jewish have adopted Yid Army as a defence and to take the "sting" out of the word. But if thats been done surely its now not offensive - its cant be offensive and inoffensive at the same time can it.

(On a side note - for anyone who hasnt seem it Simon Schama's Story of the Jews is worth a watch)

Reminds me of Reginald D HUnters FA comedy routine littered with teh N word.

Maybe a debate does need to be had http://www.scotsman.com/news/education/golliwog-removed-from-edinburgh-uni-debate-poster-1-3100973
worrying that so many responded that even a debate wasnt necessary.

Last time in Australia - my daughter was given a golliwog as a present. Still common place there. We left it behind!

Last edited:

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Yesterday, 19:03
Last time in Australia - my daughter was given a golliwog as a present. Still common place there. We left it behind!

I actually had to look this up to see what a golliwog was, I had never heard of one before. Same thing with the word 'Yid', I wasn't familiar with that one either...

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 01:03
yid
(yid),
n.
usage: This term is a slur and should be avoided. It is used with disparaging intent and is perceived as highly insulting. However, the Yiddish word from which the English word derives is not derogatory.

:confused:

As I approach my 72nd birthday I get more confused as to what's ok and when.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom