Solved you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time (1 Viewer)

adiack

Local time
Today, 08:45
The Dreaded The Microsft Access database enigine stopped the proccres because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time
has happened to me and i cant seem to fix it

I had a database stored in acces that i exported to a uwamp server via odbc unicode driver 32bit.
1685899563963.png

that now looks like this (i added the timestamp as some people said it would fix it)

the error only happense when i am trying to edit record i have inserted via php not records that were already there befor the export

and when i try to insert data from acces it allways says ODBC -- insert on a linked table for example "dates" failed

any help would be very much apreciated and i can provide more info if required

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:45
First, since that was your post #1 of your membership: Hello and welcome to the forum.

Second, the "you and another user" message could be slightly misleading though I know why it is stated that way. This same problem can occur if you have more than one channel open to the same data at the same time and both are open for modification. Particularly when one of the channels is a non-Access channel. The problem is that either Access or your ODBC driver thinks two sessions (with different session IDs) are in the same data at the same time.

What would help us is to know the timing between your PHP actions and your edit actions. If the changes to be made by the two sessions are not chronologically very close, it might be that whichever change came first didn't correctly close the transaction, leaving behind a session lock. BUT that is a guess in the absence of more information.

adiack

Local time
First, since that was your post #1 of your membership: Hello and welcome to the forum.

Second, the "you and another user" message could be slightly misleading though I know why it is stated that way. This same problem can occur if you have more than one channel open to the same data at the same time and both are open for modification. Particularly when one of the channels is a non-Access channel. The problem is that either Access or your ODBC driver thinks two sessions (with different session IDs) are in the same data at the same time.

What would help us is to know the timing between your PHP actions and your edit actions. If the changes to be made by the two sessions are not chronologically very close, it might be that whichever change came first didn't correctly close the transaction, leaving behind a session lock. BUT that is a guess in the absence of more information.
its probably the session lock thing as at this point the cronological differance is days

(also thank you for the assitance)

how would iu fix the problem then if it is the locking issue

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:45
Verify that you properly closed whatever you used to do the first update. Most methods that we have to open something for modification have both an Open verb (function) and a Close verb or equivalent. If you fail to close something properly, particularly for a non-Access method of connection, I could see it not being ready for other use. But to be honest, my ODBC experience is not with Access but with another type of database.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
The problem is probably that the bit fields in SQL Server have been set to allow nulls and no default value has been set.
When the tables are linked, Access doesn't know how to handle null values in bit fields and triggers the write conflict message

For further info, see my article:

Last edited:

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
When you created the link to the tables in Access does it pick up the primary key field correctly?
If Access doesn't know that about the PK it can't keep track of what is being edited.
Open the table in design-view in Access, and check.

Can you manually add records/edit dates etc. directly in the table in Access?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
@adiack
You posted a reply just before @Minty's post but have since deleted it.
I believe the write conflict is solved but you were still unable to insert records . . . possibly for the reason Minty described?

Also the thread now says solved. Is it? If so, it night help others if you explain what the issues were.

adiack

Local time
@adiack
You posted a reply just before @Minty's post but have since deleted it.
I believe the write conflict is solved but you were still unable to insert records . . . possibly for the reason Minty described?

Also the thread now says solved. Is it? If so, it night help others if you explain what the issues were.
Sorry I solved the insert issue by adding a foreign key constraint and a auto increment that I had though I had done already but clearly I hadn't

Acces needs more verbose errors

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:45
Your diagram does not identify primary keys, nor does it identify relationships between tables.

Assuming this is an Access problem because you have an Access form you are trying to use to add/modify rows, ALL tables MUST have primary keys or they will not be updateable. Also, if the query includes multiple tables, ALL tables must be updateable and the tables must have the join defined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom