Question You Do not have exclusive access to the database at this time... (1 Viewer)

Espinoza84

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:38
"You Do not have exclusive access to the database at this time. If you proceed to make changes you may not be able to save them later"

I have a Access 2003 database which I am trying to make some changes in. I am the only person with access to the database, but I still receive this message.

I have also tried opening the database "exclusively" by opening access, then choosing the open option, browing to my db, and before clicking the OPEN button i chose on the drop-down menu to open it "Eclusively". I still received the same message.

Any idea on what could be the cause of this?

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:38
Try opening the db while holding down a <SHIFT> key.

Espinoza84

Registered User.
Local time
I am not sure what recordsets are, this database was originally designed by someone else.

After I enter the pw to enter the DB, there is a small welcome form, which I have to click an open button, which in turn opens another form that houses 7-8 buttons, each button opens up a form for data input.

I hope the above info helped.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Did you keep the <SHIFT> key down until the db was completely open? Does using the <SHIFT> key change the way the db opens?

Espinoza84

Registered User.
Local time
I held down the shift key until the password prompt window came up. It did not change the way the db opened, everything looked the same.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
It sounds like the Shift ByPass key has been disabled so my approach will not work. Does the system provide any way to get to the Database window to make changes? Can you look at forms in design mode?

Espinoza84

Registered User.
Local time
I can look at forms in design mode yes, I just can't save any changes to it unfortunately.

Last time I made design changes to forms/tables was like 1-2 months ago, I had no problems making changes once I had sole access to the DB. This time even with sole access, it will not allow me to make design changes.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Does the system have an AutoExec macro? If so then temporarly rename it so it will not execute on startup. Does it have a startup form in the Toold>Startup... form? Change it to none temporarly and try to open the db. One of the two options is executing to start the password prompt.

Espinoza84

Registered User.
Local time
I went into the tools>startup and changed the form to blank, but I still got the pw prompt.

Afterwards, i tried renaming the autoexec macro but it would not let me as I did not have exclusive rights to the db.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
It sounds like this db might have security applied. I am not familiar with how to use a db with user security applied. Are you logging on with an administrator password? Maybe someone with security experience will drop by this thread.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
BTW, have you rebooted the computer recently? Sometimes that corrects some problems.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 10:38
It sounds like this db might have security applied. I am not familiar with how to use a db with user security applied. Are you logging on with an administrator password? Maybe someone with security experience will drop by this thread.

I think you can still hold the shift key down while clicking the OK on the password dialog. (could be wrong, but I believe you can)

Espinoza84

Registered User.
Local time
I cant type in the password while holding the shift key though. the password has the first letter capitalized and rest in lower case.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 10:38
I didn't say to keep holding it as you typed the password. Just type the password and before you hit your enter key or click on OK, hold the shift key back down again.

apr pillai

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 23:08
Are you sure that this Database is created under the same version of Access that you are using now?

Without opening Access or the Database have a look at the folder of the database and check whether there is another file with the same name of the Database but with .ldb extension. During normal shut down this lock file with active User Names and Workstation IDs will be deleted by Access. In case of power failure etc. this file may remain intact and Access may use it again when open next time. (I am not forgetting that you have opened the database several times.) When other User names are also logged into this file it may behave as if some one else also in use of the file. If there is such a file with .ldb extention then delete it and try to open the database. Enter UserID and password and then hold the Shift key before pressing Enter Key or clicking OK Button.

If your UserId doesn't have enough privileges to modify objects then you may not be able to make changes to objects even after opening this way.

If you have read permissions on all objects (and if they are not set with hidden attribute) then you can create a new database and try to import all the objects into the new database. Check both databases to see that all the objects from the parent database are available in the new one.

Since you are the owner of the new database you can do whatever you want with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom