Access On New Computer (1 Viewer)

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 11:51
I need a new computer--how do I get a good version of Access\Excel on it?

Not looking for piracy advice--I've bought 97, 03, 07 and 13 and activated on various computers. Microsoft Office Professional Plus 13 is on this one. I might have 03/07 discs still but think I bought/downloaded 13 and activated it all online. Can I uninstall 13 here and install/activate on next computer without a problem? Is 13 still around for download?

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:51
From Microsoft:

Find and install your Microsoft downloads from Microsoft Store

After you purchase software, the download will be shown in your Order history. To find a specific download, sign in to the Order history page with the Microsoft account you used to make the purchase. Find the software, and then select Product key/Install.

I had to do this a few times when I used the Home Use Program (HUP)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 17:51
I *thought* you could uninstall it and reinstall on another computer?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:51
Around 10 years ago, I had a fire in the house and lost most of what was in the office including the computers and disk backups. I was able to get MS to give me replacement keys to install the Office software on new computers Not sure how that would fly today but technically, it is yours and as long as it isn't running on multiple PCs, you should be able to reinstall it.

New versions of O365 which give you 6 concurrent installs, are ~ $99 with discounts at CostCo sometimes available.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
They have an order history, you login onto their order history page (link above) and re-download. You may have to delete your current copy as others have said, but I think it's pretty painless.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Thanks AccessBlaster, I followed your instructrions, but there's nothing in my order history on Microsoft. I've only had 1 account with them and its the same one showing up when I check Access. I just don't think they have records going back 10+ years.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Yes, it helps me get the files, but how do I activate? I currently have a running valid license on my computer--is everything I need some how in it?Where?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@AccessBlaster That method only applies if you purchased the software from MS. If it came preinstalled on your computer or you bought it retail, you won't see it on that website. My event was long before the website. MS was very helpful.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I was going by this statement.
Ok but it still doesn't mean they were bought from MS, especially the old versions. Websites weren't around in the early days so there were no direct purchases from MS. That, for retail customers, pretty much started with O365. What a boon to their cash flow that was. Cut out the middle man entirely and make the customer pay every year. Yeah ho!!!!

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 17:51
Yes, it helps me get the files, but how do I activate? I currently have a running valid license on my computer--is everything I need some how in it?Where?
Belarc Adviser should be able to give you all the keys for your software, or at least most of them.

AngelSpeaks

Local time
Thanks AccessBlaster, I followed your instructrions, but there's nothing in my order history on Microsoft. I've only had 1 account with them and its the same one showing up when I check Access. I just don't think they have records going back 10+ years.
My MS account still has my 2013 licenses for Access and Publisher.

amorosik

Local time
Today, 18:51
@AccessBlaster That method only applies if you purchased the software from MS. If it came preinstalled on your computer or you bought it retail, you won't see it on that website. My event was long before the website. MS was very helpful.

On turnkeypoint.com website there is also a BIND version

I think it mean that this product is 'visible' on Microsoft website after login with owner account

amorosik

Local time
I need a new computer--how do I get a good version of Access\Excel on it?

Not looking for piracy advice--I've bought 97, 03, 07 and 13 and activated on various computers. Microsoft Office Professional Plus 13 is on this one. I might have 03/07 discs still but think I bought/downloaded 13 and activated it all online. Can I uninstall 13 here and install/activate on next computer without a problem? Is 13 still around for download?

I experienced exactly the same problem, one year ago, again for Office 2013
I called the local Microsoft offices directly, asking how I could purchase Office 2013
They say "it's not possible"
So I take a recent version, and then you allow me to downgrade to 2013, "..no, it can't be done.."
So how do I purchase an original copy of Office 2013?
Answer "..you can't.."
And this, if said by the manufacturer's operators, is truly incomprehensible
I had to fix it another way

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Can you buy a 2013 Jaguar from the Jaguar factory? How about a copy of Quicken 2011 edition? Or the one I really, really would like, a 1970 Camaro the same color as the one I owned back then...

Expecting a manufacturer to continue creating and selling every version of every product as long as someone somewhere in the world might want one seems naive.

amorosik

Local time
Can you buy a 2013 Jaguar from the Jaguar factory? How about a copy of Quicken 2011 edition? Or the one I really, really would like, a 1970 Camaro the same color as the one I owned back then...

Expecting a manufacturer to continue creating and selling every version of every product as long as someone somewhere in the world might want one seems naive.

No, obviously not, for a car it's impossible
You didn't make a realistic comparison

For a software it would be perfectly feasible
It is a non-material product and therefore it is only the manufacturer's will to stop marketing it

But the thing that would be PERFECTLY practicable would be to allow the downgrade of any license, I buy an Office 2021 and you authorize me to use an Office 2013, it's only a formal question, it doesn't imply any exchange of documents or materials, nothing at all
It would allow Microsoft to sell a copy of Office and me to remain perfectly legal.

What do you think could be the reason why this is currently NOT possible?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Microsoft is avoid the "backwards compatibility" issue because if they embraced it, they would have to support those of us whose machines are old enough to be unable to run Win11. They would have to keep Win10 viable - but if they did that, nobody would buy Win11. Therefore, their biggest issue is that supporting older software, you won't buy their new software.

I would suggest that you do a web search for 3rd-party software vendors who might have an old Office 2013 kit. Such kits come with at least one right-to-run license. Might not be very expensive.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
No, obviously not, for a car it's impossible
You didn't make a realistic comparison

For a software it would be perfectly feasible
It is a non-material product and therefore it is only the manufacturer's will to stop marketing it

But the thing that would be PERFECTLY practicable would be to allow the downgrade of any license, I buy an Office 2021 and you authorize me to use an Office 2013, it's only a formal question, it doesn't imply any exchange of documents or materials, nothing at all
It would allow Microsoft to sell a copy of Office and me to remain perfectly legal.

What do you think could be the reason why this is currently NOT possible?
Sometimes analogies are not intended to be "reality"; sometimes analogies are intended to illustrate a point about logic, which in this case is that the expectation of "forever green products" is not realistic.

The_Doc_Man's more technical explanation is on point. I don't think it's just that it would cannibalize sales from newer products, though.
It's the whole phenomenon of backwards compatibility. It would mean that MS, or Quicken, or Adobe, etc., or any other software vendor would have to guarantee compatibility across all of their products, and do so indefinitely. If you want Office 2013, why not Access 2.0?

Even if the market share for Office 2013 is, say, 10% of the total, and the market share for Access 2.0 is less than 1%, they would have to invest in making sure they were still compatible with the other 89%. They would also have to ensure that security updates were pushed back into the older versions forever as well.

You could offer to pay those costs as part of your license agreement for an older version, I suppose. I'd go along with that, in fact, as long as those costs were borne by the purchasers of older versions and not merged with the costs of owning and using newer versions.

It's also true that companies want to continue to sell newer products. I suppose that's a matter of wanting to stay in business, unless they can figure out a way to get people to keep paying for that Office 2010 installation they bought a decade ago.

amorosik

Local time
Microsoft is avoid the "backwards compatibility" issue because if they embraced it, they would have to support those of us whose machines are old enough to be unable to run Win11. They would have to keep Win10 viable - but if they did that, nobody would buy Win11. Therefore, their biggest issue is that supporting older software, you won't buy their new software.

I would suggest that you do a web search for 3rd-party software vendors who might have an old Office 2013 kit. Such kits come with at least one right-to-run license. Might not be very expensive.

I perfectly understand the motivations that Microsoft can bring
But this does not mean that they are acceptable, from my point of view the constraints that Microsoft would like to impose are not acceptable
I have already solved the problem of installing and using Office 2013
I wanted to bring my experience to the Plog request

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom