'You do not have the necessary permissions' just appeared on a working DB (1 Viewer)

malfiscious

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:14
Hi, I've looked in a few places for answer to this but not found the answer yet.

I'm running Access 2010 but using an .mdb to maintain user level security. For the most part everything is working as it should.

I've rolled out a new version of the DB for 2014 (don't ask, but it is necessary) linked to the same security file as the 2013 version, which works fine. With the exception of some new fields and a bit of re-wiring the two are very similar. User permissions have stayed the same, all users are connected to the same security file and have access to almost all the functions they should.

The odd thing is that there are only 3 report buttons (so far) that flag the permissions error for all 'Update Data Users'. Everything else seems to be working fine. I should add that the buttons trigger macros but I don't think that's a problem since they work fine on the 2013 version.

I've tried re-linking the security file but that makes no difference - the path was correct. I don't understand why this is specific tho these buttons since other Macro'd button are working fine.

Note: I have no issues when running as administrator

Any suggestion are welcome, thanks

Last edited:

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 16:14
Create a new button and add the macro to it, only to see if it makes any difference.
If not helps, create a new macro and add this to the button.

'You do not have the necessary permissions', could it be a text in the database, if a user try to run a function/ sub which the person doesn't have the permission to?

malfiscious

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:14
Thanks for your answer.

I created a new button with the macro and that worked but then things got strange.

After creating the button I clicked on 2 of the 3 original buttons while logged in as administrator. Nothing unexpected, they always worked with admin rights and continued to do so. When I logged in as an 'Update Data User' though, the two I had clicked on worked, but the third one still didn't.

I then logged back in as administrator and clicked on the third button, which pulled the correct report. I re-logged as the 'Update Data User' again and hey presto, all three buttons are working....????

Maybe creating the new button triggered something. I'd run the reports as administrator before and it made no difference so now I'm just a bit stumped. I'm happy it's working but not so happy that my DB has had some unidentified hissy fit.

Thanks again for your answer JHB. Something worked I just wish I could say what.

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 16:14
Yeah it can be difficult to find out, but place some break points in you code and then step through the code, or maybe some MsgBox in chosen places that shows what the program "think" you are log in as.
If you have some error code handling, it can help to put them out of the function until you find the error - error handling is ok, but not when you are error trapping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom