My Country, Your country (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 03:29
What I find odd, is that Obama took a visit to the cinema where people were shot. . . . . .Why? Political gain I suppose - to show he cares? If he did care he would repeal the gun laws. How many were killed? Just 12. A small proportion of the 300 killed by the gun in the US every week. That's a jumbo jet full killed every week in the US. If a jumbo crashed and killed everyone it would be a tragedy - why are 300 people killed by the gun and yet the US says that's ok?

What is special about the Colorado killings?

The pro-gun lobby is so powerful in the US and so much money and backhanders change hands with corrupt Senators, my guess is that will never change.

Although the perpetrator did have a different approach by booby trapping his home, that showed he really put some thought into his evil deed. It didn't work fortunately.

Col

rodmc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:29
If Obama hadnt went, he would have been castigated for not showing up. Damned if he does, damned if he doesnt.

TBH I think any President/Prime Minister would attend if any disaster happened in their country, so really nothing to see here, move along!

for reference, see Anders Breivik

BBC said:
On Saturday, Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg comforted victims and relatives alongside Norway's King Harald, Queen Sonja and Crown Prince Haakon in the town of Sundvollen, near Utoeya island.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Yesterday, 19:29
Our daughter and he husband love to go on vacation just near Kennebunkport ME, very nice and relaxing area around there, they have made some good friends in that area and some of them come up to Canada to visit time to time.

Adam Caramon

Local time
Yesterday, 22:29
The pro-gun lobby is so powerful in the US and so much money and backhanders change hands with corrupt Senators, my guess is that will never change.

You've got that right. A lot of Americans believe that they are safer if everyone has unlimited access to pistols and fully automated assault rifles. They're pretty sure that any day now our government is going to become tyrannical and we're going to have to take up arms against them. To be honest, I'm surprised the NRA hasn't gotten tanks legalized for citizens.

wilpeter

Canadian enthusiast
Local time
Yesterday, 21:29
Just stumbled into this thread, read a few pages, and despite its having difficulty staying on apparent topic, it has obvious followers. First, I should state an opinion, then I can get on with the real topic: You are more likely, statistically at least, to die of having smoked than by being shot; and there are ways to stop.

I lived in Essex, England until I was almost 15, surviving the 2nd World War and didn't leave that country until emigrating to Toronto, Canada. From Toronto, mostly before marrying, I vacationed in NYC, Boston, Florida, Nassau, Mexico, Netherland Antilles, and several of the West Indies islands. It was sort of "free at last!" ((Then I got married and honeymoon'd in Barbados.))

I haven't touched a gun since I left England (I was in the Air Training Corps at age 13-14). Now I live in Winnipeg and haven't left it in 26 years, except for one trip back to Toronto for the weekend when my mum died. Winnipeg has temperatures between +40c and -40c (but not in the same month...yet). We barbecue our mosquitos. We're known locally as the murder capital, although I've never tripped over a dead body here--or even seen one. Haven't caused one either. No vacations in 26 years and none planned, so no complaints. :)

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Let's stay on topic. If you want to talk gun laws, make it in another thread.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time

Well said Vassago!

I started this thread to find out about other places people live. I just heard on the radio that GB and Canada have a higher rate of homicide that the US. Anybody know if that is true, as just because it’s on the radio doesn’t make it fact?

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 12:29
A quick Google shows the US as much higher. However the information is a few years old. One would need to do some serious research to find recent figures.

wilpeter

Canadian enthusiast
Local time
Yesterday, 21:29
Well said Vassago!

I just heard on the radio that GB and Canada have a higher rate of homicide that the US. Anybody know if that is true, as just because it’s on the radio doesn’t make it fact?

So the thread really IS about crime after all. Fortunately, Canada has the least population of the three you named and the largest area. We could actually fit the UK into the province of Manitoba with enough space left over for the State of Maine. Not that we'd do so, we like having 50'x100' lots for our homes, although more condos are creeping in every month.

Still, it's a disappointment that we have such wonderful sources of stats without the power to do much about it--much like the weather. Cheers! :cool:

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
So the thread really IS about crime after all

No, not really. While crime is part of each country is only part. I for one and can speak for anyone else would like to hear about things that each person likes about their own country.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 03:29

I forget who took it off topic now.

Wasn't it one of the American gunslingers or would-be Wyatt Earp losers here who mentioned something about a gun club forum they belong to?

Col

RainLover

Local time
What I like about America is that if we were the subject of a foreign threat the US would be the first to come to our defence.

Just as we were the first to come to America's aid after September 11.

It helps to make one feel a little safer in the current world conflicts and potential happenings.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
I have never been to Australia and would like to visit someday, but I know one thing I like about Australia without even visiting. They don’t let Muslim push them around, or any other group for that matter.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Australia was second to come to America's aid on September 11, Canada was first by default when America closed their airspace to all air traffic and Canada too the risk and allowed all the aircraft which were denied access to land at Canadian airports.

What I like about America is that if we were the subject of a foreign threat the US would be the first to come to our defence.

Just as we were the first to come to America's aid after September 11.

It helps to make one feel a little safer in the current world conflicts and potential happenings.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
We would still like to go back to Australia for another visit or six - but the next time for pleasure and not mostly business.

Adam Caramon

Local time
They don’t let Muslim push them around, or any other group for that matter.

What do you base that on? Hopefully not an email that you received from one of your friends that said the PM of Australia was really tough against Muslims. That email that goes around that says "Check it out on Google, I did and it is true". Then when you research it, you find that it is in fact false just like all the other mass emails that get passed around by those with little computer experience.

I mention this as a co-worker of mine sent this exact email to me to which I sent her the link debunking it.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
I base it on a news item I read a while back, but then again just because it was on the news doesn’t mean it is true, does it? However, now that you mention it I certainly hope that I didn’t base it on an email, blog, or forum, woe be to me.

RainLover

Local time
I have never been to Australia and would like to visit someday, but I know one thing I like about Australia without even visiting. They don’t let Muslim push them around, or any other group for that matter.

I don't know how you gained your opinion about how we treat the Muslims.

They get more government help than the average Australian. And I am going to stop there before I say what I really think.

RainLover

Local time
Australia was second to come to America's aid on September 11, Canada was first by default when America closed their airspace to all air traffic and Canada too the risk and allowed all the aircraft which were denied access to land at Canadian airports.

I was talking more about after the event. And I was also talking Military support.

George W asked Australian to help as agreed under the ANZUS treaty. And we did. This is part of the reason why we are still in Afghanistan.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
I don't know how you gained your opinion about how we treat the Muslims.

I was under the impression that you did not let Muslims or anyone else come into your country and tell you, that you had to change your laws and customs to accommodate them. Am I wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom