session timeout (1 Viewer)

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 06:48
If ANYTHING on that page is animated, it keeps the process that is periodically updating that page and gives you a new one.
r u saying that when i'm viewing who's online on this forum, every time the page automatically reloads, ff is creating a new thread process and keeping the old process running as well?

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Richard,

see attached image. i took a screenshot after closing ff and opening it back up again after all the previous processes were terminated. there are 5 listed and i've only got 2 tabs open. I am on the CP page not the who's online page. so apparently FF does what chrome has always done...use 3 processes just to start the browser. at least that was the way of it the first time I ever used chrome. but doing the same thing in chrome now gives me 9 processes with 1 tab open. does it really need 8 processes just to boot up I wonder?

Attachments

• more processes than should be in ff.jpg
    more processes than should be in ff.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 109
  • more processes than should be in chrome.jpg
    more processes than should be in chrome.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If you are asking why it takes 3 processes to start the browser?

One to run the page.
One to monitor the browser for crashed pages (and you showed us one of those in another thread)
One to gather overall statistics, particularly if you agree to share metrics with FF or Chrome, but even if you said no to that, their EULA includes that they will ALWAYS gather SOME statistics.

Then... if you don't close the windows or tabs when you follow to a link, one process for each parent or child window (new tab/new window). For those things that use encryption, one process as the encryption broker.

You could easily reach eight processes with four tabs open if using HTTPS or SFTP behind any page.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Doc,

Another problem with my machine. I think PHP's Eclipse is the memory hog out of everything i have open. although it is not taking up any memory, as shown by the tskmgr! but then again, itunes is not taking any either when the songs are playing. perhaps the memory is only taken as the song is downloading from the cloud? and that only takes like 3 seconds every time a song is played. I have open:

ff
chrome
outlook
itunes (songs are playing)
eclipse
filezilla
windows explorer

and I get the attached pdf error when trying to read a pdf with a PDFfiller.exe. if I close eclipse the error disappears. I definitely need more RAM!

Attachments

• pdf error.jpg
    pdf error.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 112
  • memory usage.jpg
    memory usage.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:48
I think PHP's Eclipse is the memory hog out of everything i have open. although it is not taking up any memory, as shown by the tskmgr!

What's shown is CPU, not memory. Memory is not visible, it's off to the right.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You'd need to go back to Processes and see if Eclipse is using a lot of memory there. Your last pic showed the total used at 85%, which is about where mine starts getting balky.

XP?? ;)

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Curious, I think all the Win7 machines I've seen have the circular start button.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Adam, the definitive test for your memory question is to call up the Resource Monitor to observe page-fault rates. Despite having all of those things in the process list, it is possible that you could be totally fine. If your system has found an equilibrium mix of resident and swapped-out pages, then you should see only minimal page-fault actions.

The only way to tell whether you have a problem is to set up a loaded but otherwise quiescent system. I.e. that task list you showed us would be a decent system load for the test I'm considering. During the test, you want to not be:

* launching a new task - because tasks don't load. They inswap.

* interacting with web pages - because you will be diddling with backing store, which is a swapping activity.

* running some Access form with a short-interval timer in the background - because you will be forcing heavier Windows Task (internal) Scheduler activity.

* running an anti-virus scan or update. (Not saying "disable A/V" - just saying don't do anything active with it to trigger it.)

* experiencing machine hardware failures at the time (let's hope this one is easy).

Your page fault rate in a quiescent system should be close to zero. It will jump when you launch a new task, but should settle down as the system finds a new equilibrium.

Because of system "round-robin" actions relating to "fairness in scheduling" concepts, you will see occasional fault activity, kind of "bursty" operations in the "every 20-40 second" range. This is normal and the sudden spike should drop off very quickly. In a quiet system, even the low-priority processes can get inswapped if they haven't been given CPU access for a while.

If you have hundreds of page faults per second in a system where you weren't actually interacting with anything, then you have started to "thrash" and in that case, YES you need more memory. It is a complex bit of math to decide how many page faults per second is "too many" but if you ever reach a sustained rate in the hundreds per second, you are beating your system disk to death.

By the way, if you are in Resource Monitor for the page fault test, you should ALSO be able to tell whether any of those Chrome and FireFox sessions are network-active, because that is ALSO a display on the RM. On my Win10 version of RM, network usage is two frames above page-fault rate.

I'm betting that no more than one or two out of those browser sessions actually has that much network activity. If ALL of them exhibit network activity, you need to stay away from so many active pages, 'cause THAT will totally hose your "quiescent system" tests and will make your Win internal task scheduler beat the system to death, maybe literally by exercising your disk more than it would like. Trust me, system-disk crashes are no fun at all. I know from recent experience.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
ok Richard,

we'll see how I get on with what I've got now:

> 8GB RAM.
> WIN 10 64 BIT
> 2.30 GHZ PROCESSOR (2 CORES)

I doubt I'll have any issues with out-of-memory warning messages, but if the browsers still suck I spose I will still have to deal with that. I'll give you know how I get on when I get all my IDEs and apps transferred over.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
In post #47 of this thread you stated "I only have win 7 and 2GB of RAM"

So... is this a new machine or at least a different machine than the one you referenced in post 47? Because with 8 GB of RAM you are FAR more likely to find a good paging dynamic equilibrium point with only 70+ processes.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Yep its brand new! Bought from wal mart. And it came with almost nothing on it. An office 365 trial. Mcafee AV. And thats it. I was expecting to see what u get at best buy....all the junk games and adware. But help me with this...when i shut it down for the first time it took 5 seconds to turn off! Is that cuz there was no software on it or is win 10 really that good?

In another thread here (maybe this one?) I posted a link to an article on how to revert the win 10 desktop look to the win 7 look. And so i will implement that. The other thing that is annoying is the fact that keys on the keyboard r either smaller or closer together. So my typing skills have to be relearned and finger positions reconfigured. Most of the machines wal mart was selling too had the mouse buttons as part of the touchpad instead of standalone buttons below it. And that was not acceptable so i got one with traditional buttons. But it doesnt matter much as i use a traditional mouse that plugs into a usb port anyway.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Is that cuz there was no software on it or is win 10 really that good?

I'd guess Win10 + SSD. Mine goes from off to login screen in about 5 seconds, from sleep faster than that. Very quick.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
I'd guess Win10 + SSD. Mine goes from off to login screen in about 5 seconds, from sleep faster than that. Very quick.
I do not have a solid state drive on this paul. so it must not be that!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Probably affects startup more than shutdown.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yep, my Win10 system with an SSD is very fast to start and stop. WAY faster than Win7 on the same physical box but with a hard disk. (The story of that hard disk has been discussed elsewhere and will not be repeated here.)

But my wife's system is Win10 with a traditional HD and it is slower to start or stop. So no, Win10 ISN'T that good.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
not only do i have a good machine now richard, but i haven't been logged out of this website once since i got it and posted the 1st first post, which was 18 hours ago as of now. and i'm using the same version of chrome and ff i had b4. :rolleyes:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Probably some long-forgotten setting from when you first installed Chrome. Or a different default based on a newer version of Chrome. Not really worth pursuing unless the problem returns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom