Thanks and Like (1 Viewer)

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 04:57
Give me the resources to change that which must be change, the patience to live with what cannot be changed, and the wisdom to know the difference.
have you considered authoring a new book that serves as an add-on to Proverbs? That would be interesting, but unfotunately if you did that you would probably earn an express ride ride downstairs, as per Christ's words in relevation:
To those who read the words of the prophecy of this book, if anyone adds to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this book.
but maybe that doesn't apply to Proverbs....
since you are religious
every non-church goer in the world seems to be confused about the difference between being "religious" and being "a christian". the issues involved in the argument are literally endless so I won't talk about it here but I will say that many people who claim to be christian are recognized as "religious" by the general public who do not attend church services, and thus they are looked at as sort of "fanatics" and sometimes just downright nutballs and insane. So I wouldn't all me religious Richard, because the term is so construed the world over that associating oneself with it is a sure path to unintended destruction and ridicule from outside parties. But if you wanna talk about how messed up the idea is and how it got so contorted in the minds of the people of the world, we can talk about it. I don't mind bickering about God and religion, but we'll have to issue a redirect to the watercooler for that one. Additionally, if you would like me to issue the redirect in my current core competency, just say so and I'll send this over to the admins:
Code:
 <?php header("Location: Watercooler - AWF forums"); ?>

deletedT

Local time
Today, 09:57
My inclination is to not mess with a system that has worked for 20 years.

Jon, My father bought a Toyota in 1972 and used it until the day before he died in 2018. It's more than half of his life. All these years we asked him to change his car with a new one, but he refused. He used to say "It's not broken and it still runs."

Yes it wasn't broken, but he missed a lot of features of newer models. If he still was alive, he was riding a 46 years old car in an era where taxis with no driver are running in the streets of Tokyo. Just because he didn't want to change a not-broken car.

Not that I'm pushing my idea, but the logic of "Don't mess with a working system" may ends up to missing a lot of benefits.

It's your house and I'm just a guest. I'm not trying to prove I'm right and I know as the owner of the site you have the responsibility to think about the benefits of several thousand members or more and the effects that a new feature may have on the system. If you think this idea can not be considered as an improvement for the site, I'm OK with it. But not messing with a 20 years working system is another thing.

As a CAD programmer and designer, I've always been eager to break a working part to design a new model with more features. It may have a lot of problems at first, but will end up to something new that makes a new market. It's how everything improves. Breaking old working things, adding new features and creating something better.

Regards.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
vba_php said:
if you did that you would probably earn an express ride ride downstairs, as per Christ's words in relevation:

That discussion properly belongs in the "Are you an atheist" thread. Not that I'm a total purist, but as it happens we already have a thread on the subject.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
That discussion properly belongs in the "Are you an atheist" thread. Not that I'm a total purist, but as it happens we already have a thread on the subject.
I have no interest in starting a thread to discuss atheism cuz the point of christianity is to carry on the new covenant that jesus left for us when he departed, and that is to offer compassion for those who do not believe and pray for them. unfortunately, many churches in the world get sidetracked and get sucked in to a skewed viewpoint based on their ridiculous "interpretations" of the good book based on what makes them feel "comfortable". that's a huge problem the world over. I can start a discussion on this topic though if you'd like....??

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:57
cuz the point of christianity is to carry on the new covenant that jesus left for us when he departed, and that is to offer compassion for those who do not believe and pray for them.
IMHO the point is to "Go into all the world and preach the Good News to everyone."

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Good News
i *never* say the phrase *good news* when talking to a non believer. That just sounds so dumb. It makes it sound like the believer is all high and mighty and is wiser than the listener. I prefer using realistic approaches and current events to get thru to the listener. That has been effective for me for a long time.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Yes it wasn't broken, but he missed a lot of features of newer models.

@Tera, I certainly understand your point of view and analogy. When you add new features to cars, I would suggest they are usually improvements. Yet whether or not the Like button is an improvement is up for debate. I believe a Like button detracts and dilutes the Thanks button. It also adds additional noise to the user interface, and adds choice. I believe in reducing choice to keep interface friction down. If I was starting from scratch, I would probably have a Like button instead of the Thanks button. But that is not where we are.

I've had similar discussion in a Discord server that I run that helps people remember things. Many people have suggested expanding the number of channels in which they can chat, while I have kept it to just 3 topic areas. When you dilute the channels, there is less discussion in each, the place seems emptier and the choices of where to go gets a bit noisier. I've been to Discord servers where there are so many channels it is just overwhelming. In any case, the group is thriving and so I am reluctant to change what is working.

If everybody here was saying, "No Jon, lets have a Like button", I would consider it more heavily. I think dragging your feet on this as a site owner is a good thing. I remember designing a database for a client and he wanted me to bolt this feature on, that feature, all very ad hoc. He ended up with a Frankensteins monster of an application that was tangled, complex and ultimately went to pieces when he got another developer involved. By taking a more considered approach, he wouldn't have ended up in such a mess. Go slow for the win.

You could always ask Facebook for a Thanks button. But they have chosen to not include that option.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Adam, in this case "the good news" is synonymous with the gospel. Not to be confused with
all high and mighty and is wiser than the listener
Just my personal spin, for whats its worth.

deletedT

Local time
There is already another alternative which is to issue reputation points (using the 'scales' button). For those who are unaware, this works on a sliding scale where long standing members with many RPs themselves will award many points when they use the system. In contrast, new members can't award any rep points until they have received some themselves

Colin, I've been looking around to find what this RP system is and how it works. But I gave up. I already went through your link, but didn't find the answers I was looking for.

I tried to add to June7's reputation in a thread for helping me, but I receive this message:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to June7 again.

What does it even mean? Does it mean somebody must add to my RP to be able to add somebody else's RP?
If so, doesn't it mean that only experts can add to other's RP?

And if I'm not able to add to someone's RP how it can be an alternative to thanks (or Like) button?

Last edited:

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Adam, in this case "the good news" is synonymous with the gospel. Not to be confused with Just my personal spin, for whats its worth.
I don't think I followed that one, chief! Care to explain what you're talking about? Is this another case like NG's "sad song" comments?....which took me forever to *get*.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi Tera

Thought I was on the wrong thread when I read the previous post!

RPs are intended as a different method of 'rewarding' someone for the quality of their forum contributions

You must have awarded RPs to June7 in the past but made little use of the system since then.
The reason for the restriction is to prevent anyone skewing the RP system by repeatedly awarding points to the same person.
So the idea is that you must award RP to several other people (no idea how many) before you can go back to the same person.

The RP system is far from perfect but I understand the reason why its like this.
It is certainly irritating when you feel someone is consistently very helpful.
Ironically only yesterday I tried to award RPs to 4 people (one was you!) and got that message every time!
So I need to find some new worthy recipients before any of those people get more RPs from me!
Unfortunately, unlike another Access forum, this one doesn't allow you to see who you have awarded points to (or how many points you 'give').
As I say, far from perfect but it is still a useful indicator

EDIT
You said you didn't find the answers you were looking for. What were the questions you had?

Last edited:

deletedT

Local time
You must have awarded RPs to June7 in the past but made little use of the system since then.

No I haven't. Not to June7 nor to anybody else. I believe as an admin you can check my situation.

Regards.

Edit:
I tried to add to your RP for above reply, still the same message.

Edit 2:
I forgot to answer this questions.
The answers I was looking for :
  • How can I add to someone's RP?
  • Is the member who receives the RP is notified about it?

Last edited:

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
So the idea is that that you to award RP to several other people (no idea how many) before you can go back to the same person.
speaking of "carelessness" in responses. sorry Colin, I just happened to notice and I couldn't resist a nice little jab at you, being my elder and all....:D

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
No I haven't. Not to June7 nor to anybody else. I believe as an admin you can check my situation.

Regards.

Edit:
I tried to add to your RP for above reply, still the same message.

By looking at the recipients info in the moderators area, it says you awarded RPs to June on 7 Feb 2019 and to me the day before that.
There is no way (that I am aware of) that I can see all the RPs you have awarded from your own profile nor can I 'unlock' the points

For info, I'm not an admin.
Vassago is the only admin for this site. Perhaps he can see things I can't

deletedT

Local time
Colin, Does clicking the scale icon adds the RP automatically? or is there a screen to set how many points or RP I'm trying to spread?

I remember clicking the icon, but don't remember if there was any verification.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Its automatic according to your length of membership and the number of RPs you already have. Positive points when you tick I approve. Negative if the other box is ticked (which I think is rarely done!)

You don't get any verification but if you click the same scales again, you will see a message indicating you've already done so. You can see how many points you have and who has awarded you points recently by looking in your User CP area.

I know its one point per full year of membership and extra points depending on how many 'blobs' (or points) you have. I think the idea is that a member is more capable of deciding who deserves RPs when they've been here for a while and themselves make positive contributions

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Vassago is the only admin for this site. Perhaps he can see things I can't
regarding this phenomenon Colin, do moderators have the privilege of keeping their viewing activities a secret from us lowly members? (see image)

Attachments

• mod viewing kept secret.jpg
    mod viewing kept secret.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 146

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Uh-oh busted viewing my own thread, Vassago please fuzz out my handle it was use without consent. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom