Yet again the annual backslapping stupid Oscars (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 18:29
Here we go again. Overpaid people doing their job expecting to get an award - for what? Plus, it's the norm now for people to go banging on about "not enough women", "not enough coloured people", "not enough gay woofters types" - surely if those in those categories are good enough then they will be nominated. But, as always, when things don't go in their favour, they bang on it's racist / sexual persecution etc etc etc.
Jesus Christ, when will these types realise they need to be good to be nominated? having got over that, you then have the hyper- egotistic actors and actresses feigning joy that someone else has won, when in actual fact, they could kill them. Why why why do Americans tolerate this yearly comedy show? It's just crap TV like the stupid Super Bowl or the World Series (that is restricted to USA and Canada only) but, I accept to the average American, there is nothing outside the white picket fence of their border, so I guess they think it does encompass "the world"

Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:29
Col, if I may...

yearly comedy show

should be yearly tragi-comedy show.

I think that for the viewers, there is that urge to see "the beautiful people" all dressed up - or overdressed - or worse, UNDERdressed. Perhaps it is a type of vicarious pleasure. I usually don't watch the show any more. I wait for the media commentary afterwards as they discuss who/what won and who/what they thought SHOULD have won. From that, I can determine which, if any, of the films would interest me.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Here we go again. Overpaid people doing their job expecting to get an award
hey col,

not all of those award-winning shows are crap ya know! maybe lately they have been. but do you remember the movie Good Will Hunting back in 1997 with Matt Damon and Ben Affleck? That won quite a few if I remember right, and it put both of them into the big time. The story of how that got made is also quite interesting. It almost didn't get made, just like the original Rocky film.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
hey col,

not all of those award-winning shows are crap ya know! maybe lately they have been. but do you remember the movie Good Will Hunting back in 1997 with Matt Damon and Ben Affleck?
Never heard of it, or those people. I don't watch modern films as they are too far fetched and stupid computer generated shite.
Col

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
oh come on colin,

that show is NOT recent/modern. It's freakin 20+ years old now! It's a very insightful show about a mathematical genius who doesn't want to help himself and use his talents for the good of the world. Robin Williams won best supporting actor for a great performance as the therapist who helps Damon get out of the "self-pity" rut he's stuck in. The story was originally written by Damon and Affleck, and it was about a secret government agent working undercover to take down a criminal org. But the studio didn't believe that would make money, so they suggested the writers re-write it about a math genius going on a soul-searching journey. and they were apparently right.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:29
I tune in for the politics, or the anticipation of over paid actors making fools of themselves. I did see "Joker" and "Once upon a time in Hollywood" not bad! :cool:

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:29
I don't watch modern films
What's that mean, out of curiosity? You only watch films that were made in the '40's or something? Or is it the story that has to be old, like the current movie "1917"?

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Basically it means I very seldom watch films made after the 1970's. I despise computer generated stuff as it makes things too unrealistic. Films with real stuntmen / women did the difficult stuff are good. Disaster films of the 70's are good - Earthquake, Towering Inferno, Poseidon Adventure all good. Proper film stars is good - McQueen, Newman, Bogart etc are good.
That's why I've never heard of those people or films after about 1990. My favourite film is Casablanca with the fabulous Bogart, made I think in 1943 ish.

Col

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Well, to each their own I guess. There's a lot to be learned about history in modern films if you keep in mind that directors often take some license with historical accuracy. After all, they're job is also to depict a good story. Sometimes, the realism is educational in some way. F'instance, soldiers getting (almost) silently cut down as soon as the landing craft ramp drops made me realize that the guy beside you would be hit before you even heard anything. It also put their fear into perspective and what it must have been like storming the beach (Saving Private Ryan). The accuracy of the movie from the standpoint of military tactics was of no consequence to me.

Then there is The Imitation Game. I don't think I ever heard of Alan Turing before that. Were the events accurate? Was his personality accurately portrayed? Doesn't matter to me. At least I learned something about the man and his contribution to the war effort that I didn't know before.

I also never heard about Oscar Schindler before Schindler's List. Maybe it wasn't accurate either, but at least I know what he did.

Anyway, my point is that unless you're up on these examples because you've read books, you might be missing out on some good stories and maybe a bit of history as well. Not trying to convince you to do anything different. We all have our opinions and dislikes after all. If you can't overlook certain things then you won't enjoy the flick.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Is this the event where they bring on Hillary Clinton?

deletedT

Local time
@Micron though I get your point, but don't forget they're exaggeration the story to create something interesting and make money out of it.
They used to say "It is a true story" at the beginning of the movies, but later Hollywood faced a lot of troubles and was forced to change it to "This Story is BASED on true events."
It means the skeleton of the story is true. But the whole thing is made up to make it something to attract people to the theaters.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Tera, there is a YouTube channel called History Buffs that I think you would enjoy. Have a look...

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
I despise computer generated stuff as it makes things too unrealistic.
are you serious Colin? you mean you didn't think James Cameron's film AVATAR was not ahead of it's time? That thing made billions, not millions. and he's making 2 and 3 right now, and 4 and 5 are planned, depending on the profit gained from 2 and 3. AI will invade the films just like everything else, unfortunately.
My favourite film is Casablanca .
have you ever seen the film The Glimmer Man with Steven Seagal and Kyneen Ivory Wayans? There's an entire scene in that film that highlights Casablanca when both cops go back and forth and who saw what.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Never heard of James Cameron. I have heard of Avatar, as something in computers like a picture or something. I think those smiley faces are avatars.
Adam - you can quote names and films all night, it means nothing to me.

The last film I saw at a cinema was The Sting, really good, 1974 I think. We lived in Australia then.

Col

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
I'm not selling you on anything, dude. watch what you want. i could care less. but James Cameron. how could you not have heard of him?? he's the most successful american film maker I believe, 2nd only to Steven Spielberg I would think.

deletedT

Local time
I can't believe someone compare a Steven Seagal's movie to Casablanca.

A while back I was watching Requiem for a Heavyweight starring Anthony Quinn. Watching him acting a defeated boxer, I was thinking Oscar is dead. There was a time when the actors and actresses were awarded for what they did on the stage. Not for what a CG graphic designer created on screen. There was a time when Al pachino was awarded for Scent of a Woman, Dustin Hoffman was awarded for Rain Man. Jack Nicholson for One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Meryle Streep for Kramer vs. Kramer.
There was a time we had movies like 12 Angry men, Raging Bull, The Bridges of Madison Country, Unforgiven, E.T., Forrest Gump, Philadelphia.........

Now they're awarding Leonardo DiCaprio for The Revenant, For God's sake somebody tell me what was amazing in his acting.
Today Parasite won 4 Oscars. How humiliating. Where the Oscars is heading?

Several months ago, Keanu Reeves came to Japan for his John Wick movie. The reporters asked him to stand posing like one of the scenes. He refused. He smiled and explained it was a CG scene and he doesn't know how to do it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom