Meteor Impact Imminent! (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 14:29
No need to worry about the Coronavirus, we are all doomed anyway. Asteroid Could Cause Atmospheric Explosion If It Gets Too Close. Actually this is a case of click bait fake news. This is also an example of why the media can't be trusted with science. The last paragraph of the article: "CNEOS said the asteroid is expected to approach Earth on March 18 at 11:15 p.m. EDT. During this time, the asteroid will fly past Earth from a distance of 0.04241 astronomical units or roughly 3.9 million miles from the planet’s center." (emphasis added)

Interesting. A few days ago, I also read this article:
Scientists Identify Atlantic Ocean As Dangerous Asteroid’s Point Of Impact, Warns About Tsunamis. As with the prior article; they are slow to inform you that the asteroid strike is expected to occur on: March 16, 2880. Well at least we have 860 years! (emphasis added).

In trying to re-find the above article, it appears that, this event has been know for some time. "Geophysical Journal International, Volume 153, Issue 3, June 2003". (emphasis assed) So, in a sense this article by International Business Times is "old" news. I don't recall hearing about this potential impact.

Since both these misleading articles are from the International Business Times, it seems that this is not a very reputable source of information.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:29
I guess it's OK, Steve R. - I've been accused of being a dinosaur anyway and at my age, I'm closer to extinction than some folks.

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
Today, 18:29
I'd better stock up on extra Toilet Rolls... ;)

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
an airburst in NOT a biblical event, Steve. my goodness! it would simply be the same as the Tunguska Event for 1908., as per Dan Akroid's words in Ghostbusters 2. LOL

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
it's all idiocy steve. welcome to America's influence on the world! per Richard: "machines can't compete with human ignorance" =)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'll take the paraphrased quote.

However, I have to correct you on another statement regarding air burst meteors and Biblical events.

Based on reports from Chaldean astronomers in about 3200 BCE in the eastern area of the Mediterranean, a huge fireball of a meteor came down from the sky heading towards Sodom and Gomorrah. If you think about it, the event that destroyed those two towns COULD have been a bolide - an air-burst meteor. The effect of an air-burst would include a huge ball of fire which, if big enough, would immediately convert anyone standing outside into a pile of dehydrated body salts. Depending on how high those piles were after the fact, they could have been called pillars. Those who ran into caves would have been more protected from the fireball. This idea is not inconsistent with the Biblical description of the event other than WHY it happened.

Here is the description starting from Genesis 19:24

24 Then the Lord rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah—from the Lord out of the heavens. 25 Thus he overthrew those cities and the entire plain, destroying all those living in the cities—and also the vegetation in the land. 26 But Lot’s wife looked back, and she became a pillar of salt.
27 Early the next morning Abraham got up and returned to the place where he had stood before the Lord. 28 He looked down toward Sodom and Gomorrah, toward all the land of the plain, and he saw dense smoke rising from the land, like smoke from a furnace.

Of course, Adam, you will probably complain, so let me add (just to perhaps calm you a bit)... if your God is all-powerful, He could have sent the meteor to do exactly that.

But also to my way of thinking, the explanation of the event (God raining destruction on a wicked city) might have been written AFTER the city was in ruins. And someone looking for a convenient explanation might have said, "Oh, it must have been that they were wicked so God did this terrible thing to them." We can never know which came first - the event or the back-story.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
ok Richard, I'll verify your quote of the bible. but to those who think this virus shit is the end of the world, it isn't. I'm not going to point you to the scripture where Christ describes the end, I'm sure you can find it yourself. the result has nothing to do with a meteor or a virus. and the cause is not cosmic, as far as I can tell. there might be a space-oriented event involved, but that is unknown because back in the time of Christ's life, human beings did not have the knowledge of outer space that they have today. and let us not forget, that before the end comes to us, the devil has to appear in the form of a man just like Christ did. and have we seen that yet? NO.

statsman

Local time
Today, 14:29
We are all going to die...someday.
The point of the exercise it to put that day off as long as possible.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The author Mark Twain was asked if he had any goals in life. His answer was "To be absent when my time comes."

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
With that lead-in, Adam, you would LOVE the Isaac Asimov story "Childhood's End."

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
With that lead-in, Adam, you would LOVE the Isaac Asimov story "Childhood's End."
oh yeah? why is that? i'm not going to look that up, why don't you enlighten me regarding your motivation for saying this? what's it about?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Adam, the story "Childhood's End" goes through some initial gyrations based on extra-terrestrial visitors. At first they hide themselves, but when they are finally revealed, they look like bat-winged, red-skinned, clawed and fanged demons from Hell. Your comment "the devil has to appear in the form of a man" would have been fulfilled (of a sort) by that event. And yes, the story IS about the end of human life on Earth and a type of ascension into an immortal afterlife - though not to Heaven.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Adam, the story "Childhood's End" goes through some initial gyrations based on extra-terrestrial visitors. At first they hide themselves, but when they are finally revealed, they look like bat-winged, red-skinned, clawed and fanged demons from Hell. Your comment "the devil has to appear in the form of a man" would have been fulfilled (of a sort) by that event. And yes, the story IS about the end of human life on Earth and a type of ascension into an immortal afterlife - though not to Heaven.
then I am not interested in reading it, because that's fantasy. but yeah, very nice analogy.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I will refrain from bearing down on the other fantasy you DO read.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
you're wrong old man. but let us end it once again here. just like the last million times we've discussed this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom