View users logged into database MS Access 2016 (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:59
Gonna toss in a comment: The error description with Microsoft suggests this could be a locking problem in which an ADO recordset was created with improper lock specification. Other sources suggest there is an issue in assigning a value directly from a recordset object without using an intermediate. Every error I have seen so far is recordset-related but mixed between DAO and ADO recordsets. All of them suggest a fix such as properly qualifying recordset declaration to avoid ADO/DAO confusion.

I have not looked at what is being done, and I don't want to step on Colin's offering so I'll stand aside to allow some time for folks to look into it.

asadkhan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:59
I might be wrong but that could be your problem user front ends should be on the local system not within the network I would move them as the network trafic will be high as is at least I think it would there are others who would be able to give you a better explanation.

keep safe mick
Thanks
There are some reasons that is why the fes are on the network drive
So it won't work in my case?
Anyhow it is a really good application.

Dreamweaver

Local time
I can't answer that You'll have to wait for @isladogs to come back online.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
@asadkhan
I'll investigate the code later this evening or tomorrow and see if I can reproduce the issue.

In the meantime, what are the 'good reasons' for having the FEs on a shared network drive?
I would definitely advise against that.

Also have you tried using error handling to suppress that error and see whether the code then runs successfully... and if not, what happens instead.

Finally did you follow up my suggestions in my last reply -post #55

asadkhan

Registered User.
Local time
@asadkhan
I'll investigate the code later this evening or tomorrow and see if I can reproduce the issue.

In the meantime, what are the 'good reasons' for having the FEs on a shared network drive?
I would definitely advise against that.

Also have you tried using error handling to suppress that error and see whether the code then runs successfully... and if not, what happens instead.

Finally did you follow up my suggestions in my last reply -post #55
The good reason are due to the nature of database and data in it.
And yes I have downloaded the most recent version from your website and no I didn't do error handling, but I tried stopping it but the error keep coming up I did not show anything I mean users if my db in the users pane. Error keep coming on.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Sorry but you haven't described a good reason for putting the FE on a network share.
The FE should always be on user's own hard drives. It doesn't matter what the database is as the FE should contain no data.
All data should be in the BE and that does need to be on the network on a shared drive.

I'm also not sure what the rest of your post meant.
How did you try stopping the code? If you stopped it, why would errors keep occurring?

Did you try the Password Login app as an alternative?

asadkhan

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry but you haven't described a good reason for putting the FE on a network share.
The FE should always be on user's own hard drives. It doesn't matter what the database is as the FE should contain no data.
All data should be in the BE and that does need to be on the network on a shared drive.

I'm also not sure what the rest of your post meant.
How did you try stopping the code? If you stopped it, why would errors keep occurring?

Did you try the Password Login app as an alternative?
Sorry Fe and mixing it up with Be data storage and so on so forth, the other reason to keep Fe on network is, it is easy to update because almost all of us work remotely. We can't access remotely the users machines. I have tried your app on my own laptop Nd it work fine. Re error handling I have written in previous post I didn't do anything and I only wrote in last post I tried stop eorrr by clear the path of my network app but the error was still coming even after I have cleared the path. Moreover I am haven't got much experience in vba. Hope you understand. The main reason why fes are on shared drive is remote working. IT department wouldn't allow to acces computers remotely.
I understand and appreciate your help. I wouldn't mind if you drop off my query or request for help after

asadkhan

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry Fe and mixing it up with Be data storage and so on so forth, the other reason to keep Fe on network is, it is easy to update because almost all of us work remotely. We can't access remotely the users machines. I have tried your app on my own laptop Nd it work fine. Re error handling I have written in previous post I didn't do anything and I only wrote in last post I tried stop eorrr by clear the path of my network app but the error was still coming even after I have cleared the path. Moreover I am haven't got much experience in vba. Hope you understand. The main reason why fes are on shared drive is remote working. IT department wouldn't allow to acces computers remotely.
I understand and appreciate your help. I wouldn't mind if you drop off my query or request for help
Thank you for your help. I am sorry for if I sounded a bit silly in my previous posts...

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Don't worry. Nothing silly about your posts ...

Your IT department is not helping with this restriction on remote access only from a network drive. Frankly that makes absolutely no sense as far as security is concerned.

Anyway, I've tested the app on a network drive and can't replicate the error here.
I get other issues such as being asked for a password on a non-password protected app ...but that;s not relevant to you now.

Anyway try this simple change and see what happens.
Modify the function ShowUserRosterMultipleUsersRemote as follows:
Change this:

Code:
   'errors with network files to be ignored
   If Err = 3705 Or Err = 3704 Or Err = 94 Then Resume Next

to this
Code:
   If Err = 3705 Or Err = 3704 Or Err = 94 Or Err = 3251 Then Resume Next

Let me know if it helps?

asadkhan

Registered User.
Local time
Don't worry. Nothing silly about your posts ...

Your IT department is not helping with this restriction on remote access only from a network drive. Frankly that makes absolutely no sense as far as security is concerned.

Anyway, I've tested the app on a network drive and can't replicate the error here.
I get other issues such as being asked for a password on a non-password protected app ...but that;s not relevant to you now.

Anyway try this simple change and see what happens.
Modify the function ShowUserRosterMultipleUsersRemote as follows:
Change this:

Code:
   If Err = 3705 Or Err = 3704 Or Err = 94 Then Resume Next

to this
Code:
   If Err = 3705 Or Err = 3704 Or Err = 94 Or Err = 3251 Then Resume Next

Let me know if it helps?
The error has gone away, but it doesn't show the users except my own connection to this db

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Unfortunately as I can't replicate the issue here, I'm unable to assist further at the moment.
Suggest you try my password login app and see if that helps.

However you really do need to get users' copies of the FEs moved off the network and onto their own workstations.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Sorry Fe and mixing it up with Be data storage and so on so forth, the other reason to keep Fe on network is, it is easy to update because almost all of us work remotely. We can't access remotely the users machines.
Only time I can think this would be the case is if the server is a terminal or citrix server - but in that each user has their own profile and only IT or those with the necessary permissions can see the directories in each users profile.

If you are not using terminal server or citrix then you can still have FE's on the users machines - it just needs a bit of code in the startup form to check version number with a 'master FE' on the server. If different, it copies the new master across. Plenty of examples on this and other forums for the code to be able to do this.

asadkhan

Registered User.
Local time
Only time I can think this would be the case is if the server is a terminal or citrix server - but in that each user has their own profile and only IT or those with the necessary permissions can see the directories in each users profile.

If you are not using terminal server or citrix then you can still have FE's on the users machines - it just needs a bit of code in the startup form to check version number with a 'master FE' on the server. If different, it copies the new master across. Plenty of examples on this and other forums for the code to be able to do this.
Thanks anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom