Unintended Consequences from the Covid-19 Pandemic (1 Viewer)

zeroaccess

Local time
Today, 02:15
Nor are any of the rest of us - despite our grandest delusions.

deletedT

Local time
Today, 08:15
Nor are any of the rest of us - despite our grandest delusions.

I tried to understand the video. But several flashes of unrelated events made me not being able to concentrate. I've got a feeling he's twisting and misusing the videos to reach to his point, instead of searching for an answer.

While saying:
....we're making a mess of our planet, and become a danger to ourselves. The drop door beneath our feet soon's open, we find ourselves in bottomless free fall....

There's a short video of Japan's magnitude 9.2 earthquake and its tsunami.
None of them are our faults. and as far as I'm aware, neither earthquake nor tsunami is the consequence of human's mess on the planet.

Or while showing some scenes of war and destruction, there's another video of Tohoku earthquake. ...Who among us can not sympathize ....
How could he mix a war zone to a rescue in an earthquake?

Just what I think though.....

Last edited:

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
....we're making a mess of our planet, and become a danger to ourselves. The drop door beneath our feet soon's open, we find ourselves in bottomless free fall....
no one can be blamed for that Tera. It's a human flaw. If other people wouldn't have "made a mess of it", you would have, or someone else would have. It's inevitable. Just like those people who made billions of dollars setting up the massive server farms we see today all over the world. If they wouldn't have done it, someone else would have. Same goes with machines. if gates and jobs wouldn't have done it, someone else would have.

the pattern goes on and on, and it stretches back thousands of years. no one is to blame. the important point is whether or not you accept the reality, and then accept the son. If you don't, like I told you before, everything is pointless because the Earth will eventually be gone anyway, after the final battle.

deletedT

Local time
no one can be blamed for that Tera. It's a human flaw. If other people wouldn't have "made a mess of it", you would have, or someone else would have. It's inevitable. Just like those people who made billions of dollars setting up the massive server farms we see today all over the world. If they wouldn't have done it, someone else would have. Same goes with machines. if gates and jobs wouldn't have done it, someone else would have.

the pattern goes on and on, and it stretches back thousands of years. no one is to blame. the important point is whether or not you accept the reality, and then accept the son. If you don't, like I told you before, everything is pointless because the Earth will eventually be gone anyway, after the final battle.
Sorry but Your post is beyond my understanding. I can't relate it to what I said in previous post.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Sorry but Your post is beyond my understanding.
i don't expect you to understand. don't worry about it. I thought I would throw it out there just in case you did get it. people don't understand that just like they didn't understand christ when he was here.

just go back to your lunch or dinner with your wife. you'll be fine. ;) oh, and to add to this, I'm still not interested in taking you up or her up, on that deal she proposed.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
And of course those billions or millions that you speak of are not going anywhere

Nor are you, because following a myth leads nowhere.

I would say "I'll see you in non-existence in a few decades" but actually, we won't since neither of us will exist to do the seeing.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Inappropriate and insulting comments removed
Nor are you, because following a myth leads nowhere.

I would say "I'll see you in non-existence in a few decades" but actually, we won't since neither of us will exist to do the seeing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 03:15
COBOL and Covid-19. There has been a shortage of COBOL programmers for many years now. Listening @vba_php?

The concern over legacy COBOL is not new. Of course, the Covid-19 crises will exacerbate this issue. This would seem to make the article "opportunistic".

Our Government Runs on a 60-Year-Old Coding Language, and Now It’s Falling Apart
The COBOL COVID-19 saga continues. A recent Verge headline: Unemployment checks are being held up by a coding language almost nobody knows.

"Black Swan" events, such as the COVID-19 pandemic expose how interconnected we are and also how unprepared we really are when the event "explodes". A small line in the Verge's article caught my attention: "States have been starved of modernization funding for years". Duh!!. This is typical, if fixing something can be postponed in favor of another (manufactured) "crises" that has high political visibility - starve the stuff failing for a later day (which never comes). This is exactly what happened with the Army Corps of Engineers funding to fix levees. The money was reallocated to other "must-have" politically opportunistic projects, then Hurricane Katrina and the hypercritical finger pointing began as to why these funds were never used for their intended purpose.

The Verge article goes on to state: "Without additional funding from the federal government, it’s difficult for states to modernize their COBOL code and invest in hardware that can withstand the mounting number of unemployment requests they’re receiving this year.". No, the states should provided the funding to maintain these systems and to upgrade them. As an editorial aside, neither the media or the states should view "federal money" as being "free" money that they are entitled to. States need to implement taxes that will cover the expenses of state government. The Verge should be pointing the finger-of-blame at the governors for failing to provide the funding.

Last edited:

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
@Steve R. I told you that the government could call me if they wanted a COBOL expert, but what about the cowboys? didn't I mention before that the article states that the cowboys are taking care of the outdated system?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The whole point of the Sagan video, despite some distracting images, is that it is SUPREMELY arrogant of us to presume that we are special and have been chosen by some ultra-wise deity for greatness. If we have greatness at all, it must lie within us because otherwise, it doesn't exist. Seeking an external justification of being "chosen people" or somehow being otherwise privileged is the ultimate self-delusion. We aren't that special.

The theists who solemnly claim that disasters are the "punishment of God for our transgressions" are fear-mongers seeking to gain personal power by falsely claiming some divine knowledge to bend people to follow them - like a flock of sheep ready to be sheared. And the worst part is that the sheep have been deluded into the illusion of safety, which lasts - with continued shearing - until the sheep finally dies. At which point if they DID have consciousness (which they don't) they would realize there is no eternal green pasture. The trap door beneath our feet leads to a fall into ignorance and we can evade it only by educating people to the reality of this world.

No disrespect is intended to those whose beliefs depend on a deity. After all, for the first half of my life, I was with you. But I finally started to think in serious, deeply analytical terms. That is when I finally realized that what I had been taught as a child was wishful thinking by people too afraid to contemplate the concept of non-existence.

Adam, you get angry because you know that if I am right and have told YOU the truth, you have wasted your time following an impossible dream. You get angry from realizing that you have been fed lies and illusions. THAT is the source of your anger. It is called "cognitive dissonance." But then, those of us who tell the truth are not always highly regarded. That is our burden.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
if you want to get into the meat of real constructs and mathematics, why not explore something like python or java

Almost EVERY LANGUAGE can be used to explore mathematics because it isn't at all about the constructs. It isn't about anything mechanical. It is all about the logic behind the usage. I don't need JAVA. I don't need C or C++ or C#. I don't need Python. I can think independently of any of those languages. You should always have multiple tools in the toolkit, true - but if I am not going to involve myself with some complicated new project for someone paying me, I will use my favorite tools and be quite happy. I don't get bored with Access any more than a carpenter gets bored with a hammer or saw. It's just a tool that happens to work well with the REAL things I am exploring.

you could literally keep yourself entertained for years.

I happen to have a life and a family who loves me. My entertainment isn't the soulless intricacies of programming in some language for the sake of programming. I happen to have a life outside of my computer keyboard. You should try it sometime.

By the way, I have a question: If I am not regarded at all, as you say, does that mean I am disregarded? In which case why did you answer?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I was heartened yesterday to see the demonstration in Michigan. The governor there went over the top with her edicts. You can go out on the water in a rowboat or a sailboat but not a motor boat??? You MUST wear a face mask to go to the supermarket!! Where does she think people can buy a face mask? We're hearing now why there is such a shortage. Apparently the Chinese went on a buying spree when they realized that the virus had escaped from their lab in Wuhan and cornered the market on disposable protective gear before the rest of the world got wind of their lies.

People of the world would have been much more understanding, and forgiving if the Chinese had fessed up in the beginning and told us the truth about the speed of contagion and helped to contain the outbreak. Instead, they bought all the consumables they could and blocked flights from Wuhan to other parts of China but allowed people to travel anywhere else in the world. So since the Chinese make a big deal over the New Year holiday, they traveled all over the world and infected people wherever they went. This was definitely a "China First" policy and given the oriental reluctance to admit to error, they're going to stand fast on denying any culpability. Over a hundred thousand people have died because of their error and cover up. Remember when you were a kid, the punishment for the lie was always worse than the punishment for the crime.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Whether or not the Michigan governor went over the top with her edicts, the demonstration was extremely foolish and will undoubtedly lead to additional people becoming infected. In what ways is that heartening?

Also what EVIDENCE do you have that the corona virus escaped from a lab in Wuhan? If you actually have any, share it. Otherwise please stop spreading disinformation.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
I was heartened yesterday to see the demonstration in Michigan. The governor there went over the top with her edicts.
Demonstrates the duplicity of Democrats. If Trump issues and edict, he is accused of being dictatorial by the Democrats. A Democrat issues a dictatorial edict and it is OK.

Kavenaugh gets unjustifiable accused of sexual harassment, and Kanenaugh gets persecuted. Biden gets accused of sexual harassment (by Tara Reade) and all those who had rabidly attacked Kavenaugh are now amazingly silent.

Democrats go after non-Democrats tho who they assert are being racist and/or misogynistic, yet when one of their own (the Virginia Governor (Ralph Northam) and Lt. Governor (Justin Fairfax) as examples) Democrats just ignore those nasty indiscretions.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:15
Also what EVIDENCE do you have that the corona virus escaped from a lab in Wuhan? If you actually have any, share it. Otherwise please stop spreading disinformation.
I think we will figure out who killed JFK and Marilyn Monroe before that happens. The Chinese are not super helpful in the investigation.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
By the way, I have a question: If I am not regarded at all, as you say, does that mean I am disregarded? In which case why did you answer?
i think you lost me on that one, Richard. I wouldn't say you are DISregarded. but rather, you're not thought of. is that the same thing?

zeroaccess

Local time
Yeah...if we could press pause on the Limbaugh and Jones for a while, that would be great, mkay...

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:15
The good news regarding covid-19 is, they underestimated the death toll in the USA.
The bad news is, they will attribute every death to covid-19 moving forward.

Medicare is reportedly paying 15% higher payouts if your death can be covid-19 linked.
So basically, we will never get the correct data. As if we ever were.

Pardon my my crude chart I spent like 2 seconds on it.

1587087832159.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom