Unintended Consequences from the Covid-19 Pandemic (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 18:02
Unfortunately, good intentions also seem to have negative unintended consequences. The financial incentives to keep businesses and people financially "liquid" (able to pay their bills) may only partially achieve the desired effect. For example, the financial aid package (besides giving people money) has provisions that if people do not pay their rent; they cannot be evicted. Seems reasonable, but it also assumes that people and businesses when they receive the financial aid would actually pay the rent with it. So how many people, when they receive the money, will actually pay their rent?

On the news this morning several companies, such as WeWork and Staples were identified as withholding rent obligations. These are very weak companies. Even before the Covid-19 Pandemic, these companies were in decline. The financial being provided may never save these companies, only prolong the agony of their decline. The leaseholders in the end, may never get paid the deferred rents.

Of course, at this time, it is to soon to know how if people and businesses will use the financial aid as intended.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 17:02
what's the purpose of this post, Steve? I don't get it. as far as this statement by you:
Of course, at this time, it is to soon to know how if people and businesses will use the financial aid as intended.
are you kidding!? people NEVER spend free money intelligently. think of all those idiots (millions) that bought iPhone's with government handouts instead of buying food for their children, simply because they thought Steve Jobs was cool or that they could look sophisticated by carrying around a $1,000 piece of hardware. do you really think those people would change, EVER? highly unlikely.

furthermore, if I create a brand new product in the future, which is also unlikely, I will surely use my "cool" stature to sell to the general public that has a tendency to waste money, especially government money. that's how people in this country get rich. is it pathetic? of course. is it smart to take advantage of it if you want to make boats loads of money? OF COURSE. LOL =) that's what's great about america and pathetic about it at the same time.

as a side note to this, I don't want to say I'm evil, but I have certainly benefitted a great deal from this viral nonsense. I haven't paid any bill for months, and I probably won't either, until this whole thing is over. talk about a great way to turn the devil against himself. =( but then again, he doesn't need any help. he's a self-destructing entity anyway.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
We already know that Pelosi's buddy, The Kennedy Center in DC took their $25 MILLION dollar gift from the American people and promptly laid off their performers. Might they have used the money to keep paying them and broadcast the shows for the American people to enjoy? We have several prominent companies promising to build new facilities in China. Would they invest in America instead because America is certainly going to need the investment? But not if you don't care about this country. Apparently they see their future with China. Let them give up their "citizenship" and move to China. There has to be a reason that the poor and downtrodden of the world want to move to the US. Why aren't they all sneaking into China or Mexico?

Congress talks a good game about how they want to "help" people in this time of crisis and yet they persist in taking insider information the learn from their committee memberships and trade on it to make money for themselves and their friends and families. I am so disgusted with the political class that if one of them were on the ground, on fire, next to me, I wouldn't spit on them because it might put out the fire.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Just ran across this missed consequence. With the economy being shut down, many local municipalities will not be getting (sales) tax revenues to keep services running. I don't know if any of the "rescue" packages address this concern.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Just ran across this missed consequence. With the economy being shut down
it's a good thing that the economy is shut down Mabel maybe people will realize how stupid they have been if we go through this. Not to say that Society is stupid but then again it has been for quite a while now and it needs to be told one way or the other

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Unfortunately, any municipality that has the power to tax will simply increase their tax rates. That's what we do in Connecticut. We would never in a million years consider curtailing spending or being efficient with our spending. All federal and state employees look at it as "other people's money" and spend accordingly.

One positive I just read is that pollution is abating in cities where it was heavy.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
If we are not being played, we are being trained. I no longer give much credence to this thing

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
What are we going to do about is the question? I'm too old to take to the streets. My grandchildren don't understand what is at stake. They are a product of our anti-American school system.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
A new unintended consequence just popped-up. Some doctors have now become concerned that the cancelling of routine medical visits, such as preventive care and electives procedures, may soon result in a spike of medical concerns. Especially for those who needed medical treatment, but were unable to get it.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I was just having this conversation with a friend of mine and her 17yr old daughter. Their views are so myopic it is disheartening.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I'm too old to take to the streets.
I smell what you're stepping in. I tried to fight this fight back in 2008 by throwing ALL my support and a good portion of my resources into Ron Paul's campaign. You would need a micrometer to measure the difference I made. I'm just too tired anymore and no one is listening...

It is easier to fool someone than convince them that they have been fooled...

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 23:02
It distresses me to say that for probably the only time in my life, I may agree with Adam
The schools in the US are no more anti-American than those in the UK are anti-British.

In a good education system, students are challenged to provide arguments to back up their comments.
As part of that, they may be alerted to alternative points of view and informed about beliefs from other religions.
That is very different to promoting different beliefs or political systems

Adam
Please do not waste time replying. I won't respond to you

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
It distresses me to say that for probably the only time in my life, I may agree with Adam
The schools in the US are no more anti-American than those in the UK are anti-British.

In a good education system, students are challenged to provide arguments to back up their comments.
As part of that, they may be alerted to alternative points of view and informed about beliefs from other religions.
That is very different to promoting different beliefs or political systems
The mad rush to cultural suicide (anti-Americanism) began 60 years ago, more or less. I was a history major (1965-1970). The History Department at the University of Maryland was well on its way to promoting political correct thinking with minimal tolerance for any dissenting views. This may seem surprising, but a pivotal moment for me, in rejecting leftist ideology, came from the play "The Persecution and Assassination of Jean-Paul Marat As Performed by the Inmates of the Asylum of Charenton Under the Direction of the Marquis de Sade ", were the question "who are the people" was repeatedly asked. Well, the "people" are those pushing the "revolution". Everyone else is merely a pawn. But memories are imperfect, but that is how I remember it.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
different beliefs or political systems
it doesn't matter what you say colin. this comment of yours begs an answer. the answer is: there's only one belief system. everything else is irrelevant.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Figures you would answer that way. Adam, the ONLY belief system that matters starts firmly grounded in that which can be proved. I regret to be the one to inform you that the belief system to which you most likely refer is not well grounded in that particular manner.

Please understand that I respect your right to believe as you wish. I have made a different choice, and I am trying to be civil about that part of it.

Please also understand that with regard to the "one belief system" concept, you have competition in the forms of Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, as well as atheism. There is also the Shinto belief system and some shamanistic systems exist as well. Therefore, with all due respect, please consider that when saying there is only one belief system, you have spoken incorrectly. Further understand that there are millions of people (if not billions in some cases) who would vehemently disagree with your choice.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
And of course those billions or millions that you speak of are not going anywhere

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom