Suggest a movie to watch (1 Viewer)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 17:47
Not much into movies...but...if you like history, there is a YouTube channel I watch called History Buffs. The narrator reviews movies and evaluates them on their historic accuracy. The guy's name is Nick Hodges and he speaks the Queens English but he is still easy to understand :cool:

deletedT

Local time
Today, 21:47
@The_Doc_Man

Alita: Battle Angel
The Sixth Sense
Bicentennial Man
I've already watched above movies. I worship Robin Williams and almost have seen most of his movies. Above all I enjoyed Good Will Hunting, Good Morning, Vietnam, Mrs. Doubtfire & Insomnia

The following was added to my watch list.
Victor Victoria
Forbidden Planet
Arsenic and Old Lace
The Last Starfighter

Now that we're talking about old movies, have you watched A Raisin in the Sun? It's a 1961 movie (2 years before I was born), a powerful and excellent movie. I ranked it above 12 Angry Men.

In case of The Sixth Sense, I love unpredictable movies. If you like these kind of movies I suggest you the following:
The Others (2001) starring Nicole Kidman
The Machinist (2004) starring Christian Bale
Shutter Island (2010) starring Leonardo DiCaprio

If interested, I have a long list.

Million thanks for your suggestion.

deletedT

Local time
Not much into movies...but...if you like history, there is a YouTube channel I watch called History Buffs. The narrator reviews movies and evaluates them on their historic accuracy. The guy's name is Nick Hodges and he speaks the Queens English but he is still easy to understand :cool:
Added to my Watch later list.

Thank you.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Pirate Radio...it goes well with Col's contribution to the Obscure Song thread...

deletedT

Local time
Pirate Radio...it goes well with Col's contribution to the Obscure Song thread...
I thought I have seen all Philip Seymour Hoffman movies. Apparently I have missed this one.
Added.

Now I need a Hug button in the list of Likes. But wait. We're in quarantine. No hugs allowed. What a pity.

Last edited:

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Pan's Labyrinth (IMDb 8.2) - Please be aware that this is a very depressing movie.
On a much happier not, @The_Doc_Man reminded me of of Alita: Battle Angel. A movie I highly recommend. Also Leslie Nielsen, besides Airplane, appeared in a series of funny movies begging with "Naked Gun". The first one had a rating of IMDb 7.6.

SurreyNick

Local time
My suggestions would include:

Bridge Of Spies (2015)
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011)

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
For the maybe one or two baseball fans out there,
Moneyball 7.6 IMDb - How statistics shook up an organization and took them all the way to the series.

42 - 7.5 IMDb Based on the true story of Jackie Robinson. There's a scene in the movie where an opposing team manager is trying to rattle Robinson at the plate. I found it quite uncomfortable to watch and marveled how any actor (the manager) could bring themselves down to that level, even in the name of acting.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:47
An addition to my list:

Driving Miss Daisy (7.4) Jessica Tandy, Morgan Freeman, Dan Aykroyd (1989) 99 min. - Daisy Werthan (Jessica Tandy) is an aging women who needs a helper to driver her places (because she is no longer a safe driver). Hoke Colburn (Morgan Freeman) takes on the job. Through several years of being together, their racial and ethnic differences become less important than their trust. I have trouble watching the end of this film only because it brings back my memories of my mother's final years. I cry during the last 20 minutes every time I see it.

Despite its special meaning for me, it is an incredibly beautiful film. Other people thought so too, because from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences it received awards ("Oscars") for Best Picture, Best Actress in a Leading Role (Jessica Tandy), Best Screenplay, and Best Makeup. It also received nominations for Best Actor in a Leading Role (Morgan Freeman), Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Dan Aykroyd), Best Costume Design, Best Art Direction, and Best Film Editing. Despite only getting a 7.4, this is a true masterpiece of the film maker's art.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:47
Some of our favorite comedy's are 'Some like it hot', 'The Hallelujah Trail', 'Operation Petticoat', 'Man's Favorite Sport', 'Support Your Local Sheriff', 'Mad Mad Mad Mad World' (most cameos ever), 'The Court Jester', 'What's Up Doc?"

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:47
A movie with a lot of subtlety with Sean Connery and Candice Bergen that I'm betting most have not heard of, one of few I bought the DVD of:

The Wind and the Lion

An Amazon series we really like, based on a series of books we read and liked:

Bosch

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I started making notes of movies I liked a few years back and this is my list:-

Favorite Films
Hobson's Choice (Cobblers)
The Time Bandits