Suggest a movie to watch (2 Viewers)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:21
Dave Bautista is/was another wrestling star from the WWE stable of "entertainers." I agree that he has done well in the Marvel universe as a tough guy. He already has been an in-ring actor so making himself look a bit dumb but strong isn't much of a stretch. And heck, acting credits with Marvel are not to be sneezed at, particularly given the high-exposure nature of the roles.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:21
An unexpected pleasant surprise was Dave Bautista (who I have not heard of) as Drax in Guardians of the Galaxy. That character was amazingly funny. Looks like Dave Bautista will be in the new Dune to be released later this year.
(y)

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Almost famous.

1589066682543.png

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@Tera: You are welcome. The factor that made Jumanji:Welcome to the Jungle so interesting to me was that the actors had to play roles, not as their heroic characters, but as kids suddenly stuck in a body that is a stranger to them. They had none of the bravado of adults. Of course, it didn't hurt to watch Karen Gillan in a somewhat provocative outfit. Her time in the Marvel universe as Nebula, stepdaughter of Thanos, hides her face and body to the point that she is almost unrecognizable.

deletedT

Local time
Today, 18:21

deletedT

Local time
Pia Zadora (2) Adam Sandler (3) for sure.

I should have explained that the king of Razzie awards, Sylvester Stallone, was nominated 9 consecutive years from 1984 to 1992.

Mo Murphy in a blog wrote about him and his Rambo 5- Last Blood:
It's not about ageism or looks. It's about not growing up. It's about not letting go on an image that maybe worked a long time ago......
Mostly I'm sorry for the supporting cast who had to be a part of this. And of course the horse.
http://www.razzies.com/razz-blogz.html

Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I didn't know there's a Worst Picture of the decade award. First time I hear it. I have to go search for a list of the movies that won this award.
It's still to come, think of all the action and romance movies that need to be made with social distance.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The Medved brothers wrote a book, probably no longer in print and probably needing updating anyway, for the "Golden Turkey" awards, an early version of the "Razzies." For them the worst picture EVER was Plan 9 from Outer Space. Worst actor was... wait for it... Richard Burton, because almost every movie in which he was the leading actor tanked at the box office. Had to look it up, but Raquel Welch got worst actress.

I have to chalk up a certain amount of class to Sandra Bullock. She got a Razzie and an Academy award back-to-back and brought gifts to the folks in the Razzies audience. I've always thought she was good, but this merely reinforces my earlier point.

Sometimes a script is SO bad that the best actress out there cannot save it, and the best directory cannot save it, and the best editor can't excise enough garbage to save it without turning into a "Short Subject." Good scriptwriters are worth the money, which sometimes seems lost on Hollywood. Basically, when you start with nothing, you end with nothing (at least in artistic terms). Though in Hollywood, when you start with nothing, often you end with a huge deficit and a tax write-off.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
One of the streaming channels we have on our smart TV has a lot of old (40s-60s) movies. The titles even sound bad (a lot of sci-fi and horror). I have not been brave enough to see how bad they might be.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:21
2 I liked within the last couple of years are Hidden Figures and The Green Book (won Best Picture). I bet Tera has seen both!

deletedT

Local time
One of the streaming channels we have on our smart TV has a lot of old (40s-60s) movies. The titles even sound bad (a lot of sci-fi and horror). I have not been brave enough to see how bad they might be.
You can not watch a movie from 40s and compare it to something like The Irishman or Avatar. The possibilities that current CG and technology help the director to create a movie is different with 40s.

deletedT

Local time
2 I liked within the last couple of years are Hidden Figures and The Green Book (won Best Picture). I bet Tera has seen both!
I gave Hidden Figures 7 out of 10 and Green Book 8.
Both were excellent.
@Micron You have a good taste. Most of what you suggest are between the best movies I've ever seen.

Thanks for suggesting.

PS: I'm watching A Hidden Life (2019). I've watched only 30 minutes of it, and it still takes another day for me to finish watching it. But up to this point, it's 9 out of 10 for me. If you have time, you may want to spend 3 hours of your free time to check it out. (and $5.99)
https://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Life-August-Diehl/dp/B083B8BPBF

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:21
If you like Viggo Mortensen and haven't seen A History of Violence (also starring Ed Harris), you would probably like that one too. A small town diner owner gets thrust into the lime light when unbeknownst to others, he is trying to hide a dark past.

I also liked Ed Harris in Enemy at the Gates - based on a real Russian person during WWII. A story of heroism, loss and betrayal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom