Suggest a movie to watch (1 Viewer)

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:24
They just keep coming to my head...
OK, if you like EH, then The Abyss? When a crew member drowned he gave one of the most emotional yet believable performances I have ever seen. Right up there with Robert Di Niro in The Mission - A former slave trader of South American indigenous peoples joins the Jesuits (?) on a mission of conversion in an effort to gain Heavenly absolution for a grievous sin. When he meets up with a tribe that he formerly took slaves from, he loses a great amount of weight that he has been carrying - both literally and figuratively, and Di Niro's scene of redemption is one I haven't forgotten.

deletedT

Local time
Today, 14:24
The Medved brothers wrote a book, probably no longer in print and probably needing updating anyway, for the "Golden Turkey" awards,
First time hear about this award. I have to do some surveys.

Sometimes a script is SO bad that the best actress out there cannot save it, and the best directory cannot save it, and the best editor can't excise enough garbage to save it without turning into a "Short Subject."
Don't forget that the actors/actresses always have the choice to deny the role.
I read an article about Jennifer Lawrence and how she ruined her carrier with accepting to cast several movies. Joy & Mother! among them.
Tom Hanks denied playing Jerry Maguire because he and his advisors thought the movie will ruin his carrier but Tom Cruise accepted the role.
Then Tom Cruise denied to play Footloose.

You can find 20 others who denied important roles here:
https://www.pastemagazine.com/movies/20-actors-who-turned-down-big-roles/#7-tom-cruise-footloose-

Last edited:

deletedT

Local time
They just keep coming to my head...
OK, if you like EH, then The Abyss? When a crew member drowned he gave one of the most emotional yet believable performances I have ever seen. Right up there with Robert Di Niro in The Mission - A former slave trader of South American indigenous peoples joins the Jesuits (?) on a mission of conversion in an effort to gain Heavenly absolution for a grievous sin. When he meets up with a tribe that he formerly took slaves from, he loses a great amount of weight that he has been carrying - both literally and figuratively, and Di Niro's scene of redemption is one I haven't forgotten.

I've watched Abyss.
The other movie should be The Mission (1986). I have had it in my list for more than 2 years and haven't had the chance yet. I just searched my local rental shop. It seems that they have it on DVD. I'll watch it this Sunday. If it's not the movie you're describing I have to search more.

Thanks again.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
That's the one. You might be surprised by the main musical theme when you hear it. A lot of people have heard it in another fashion but have no real idea where it came from. When you figure that out (assuming you have heard the song I'm referring to) just remember that the tune was originally a movie music score and had no words. In fact, the composer (I will keep you in suspense!) resisted requests to put words to the beautiful music for several years before finally giving permission.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:24
Don't forget that the actors/actresses always have the choice to deny the role.

True enough, but there is ALSO the "Actor's Equity" rule that if they want to be in good standing, they must take a role every so often or lose their Equity card. Which explains some of the roles taken by respected actors. For instance: Max von Sydow as a warlord-emperor in Conan the Barbarian and again as an evil emperor (Ming the Merciless) in Flash Gordon; Christopher Plummer as the Emperor of the Galaxy in Starcrash and again as Chang, a Klingon general, in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country and one more time as Rev. Whirley, a lecherous and larcenous cleric in the 1987 Dragnet (which is a funny movie in parts). Sometimes, because of Actor's Equity, they will take a role and "phone it in" as the phrase goes. They instruct the agent to not bother with residuals clauses in their contracts. They take the money and run.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:24
From what I have read. Apollo 13 was pretty close to being an accurate description of what the astronauts had to endure on there flawed mission.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
So a number of people slammed Meryl Streep in taking the role in Mamma Mia (it was below her class of movies). I thought she took it just to have fun with a movie. I enjoyed it, but then I am bit of an ABBA fan.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Well, here's one that I liked that I suspect a lot of people who saw it didn't either because they don't like the actor or thought the story to be too unbelievable:
Cast Away (Tom Hanks, 2000 version)
I was quite impressed with the dedication and transformation - losing about 40 or 50 pounds to look like someone who was stranded alone on an island for some 4 years. It's one thing to bulk up for a role, and something else entirely to drop 25% of your body mass for that role. Starvation is too dangerous, and if you did that, resuming eating can cause refeeding syndrome - so no small feat. It doesn't hurt that I liked the story as well.

deletedT

Local time
So a number of people slammed Meryl Streep in taking the role in Mamma Mia (it was below her class of movies).
Me, one of them.
Do you think an actress with this quality is allowed to take a role just for fun?
She is the winner of 177 awards and 363 nominees.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000658/awards?ref_=nm_awd

Nominee
Oscar
Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role
The Post (2017)
Nominee
Oscar
Florence Foster Jenkins (2016)
Nominee
Oscar
Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role
Into the Woods (2014)
Nominee
Oscar
August: Osage County (2013)
Winner
Oscar
The Iron Lady (2011)
Nominee
Oscar
Julie & Julia (2009)
Nominee
Oscar
Doubt (2008)
Nominee
Oscar
The Devil Wears Prada (2006)
Nominee
Oscar
Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Adaptation. (2002)
Nominee
Oscar
Best Actress in a Leading Role
Music of the Heart (1999)
Nominee
Oscar
One True Thing (1998)
Nominee
Oscar
The Bridges of Madison County (1995)
Nominee
Oscar
Postcards from the Edge (1990)
Nominee
Oscar
Evil Angels (1988)
Nominee
Oscar
Ironweed (1987)
Nominee
Oscar
Out of Africa (1985)
Nominee
Oscar
Silkwood (1983)
Winner
Oscar
Sophie's Choice (1982)
Nominee
Oscar
The French Lieutenant's Woman (1981)
Winner
Oscar
Kramer vs. Kramer (1979)
Nominee
Oscar
The Deer Hunter (1978)

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:24
Tera has suggested that he only wants to see ratings of 6/10 or better, so a lot of MY quirky movies would be outside of his limits. Not only that, but Tera has suggested that he is not that heavily into comedy.

Having said that, I will toss out one that raised my spirits during the time my mother was recently put in a nursing home, never again to be taken back to her own home. I was depressed and a friend said, "You are coming with me to see this movie that will make you laugh." I didn't pick it but I am glad she picked for me. I though I was going to laugh so hard as to roll head-first down the theater aisle. Literally ROTF LMAO.

The movie is Lust in the Dust (1984; 84 min; IMDB rating 6.5) This definitely qualifies as "theater of the absurd." The general plot is that a robber named Velez stole a shipment of gold bars but was wounded. He buried the shipment and escaped. To help him remember where he buried everything, he tattoed the map on the buttocks of his two young daughters, half on one and half on the other. But then he had the ill grace to die before he could recover the gold. The girls drifted apart, but the story was known to a few people. Now Abel Wood is looking for a way to bring the two girls together in bed, naked and face down, to find the gold. And this all happens in the sleepy town of Chili Verde. If that doesn't tell you that this is a farce from the word "GO" then I don't know what will. I will say this: It is not for everyone. If you can't belly-laugh at absurdity this will not work for you.

Oh,... another thing that might not work for you is that one of the grown-up girls is played by transvestite actor Divine, who was nominated for "Worst Actor" (as a Razzie.) Probably part of that was due to "4th-wall" breaks and some snarky asides throughout the film.

Last edited:

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Given the limitations, I guess all the Muppets movies are off limits? ;)
You have to admit they were full of good clean fun and some adult humour as well.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
I think TDM and I remembered this
I also don't watch any movie with bellow 6.0 points in IMDB.
but we forgot you also said
I appreciate if you suggest a movie you think is worth watching. Don't mind my rules about.

deletedT

Local time
Yes, I wanted to see what others' favorite movies are and give it a try.

I appreciate if you suggest a movie you think is worth watching. Don't mind my rules[B] about[/B].

I think I should read what I type at least once before posting. I meant above not about. :)

deletedT

Local time
That's the one. You might be surprised by the main musical theme when you hear it. A lot of people have heard it in another fashion but have no real idea where it came from. When you figure that out (assuming you have heard the song I'm referring to) just remember that the tune was originally a movie music score and had no words. In fact, the composer (I will keep you in suspense!) resisted requests to put words to the beautiful music for several years before finally giving permission.

@Micron
The suspense was killing me. You know I'm not good at waiting.
I changed my schedule and watched The Mission (1986). The cast was excellent. I was surprised to see Liam Neeson appear all of a sudden. I never check the cast or the story of a movie. I like being shocked to see who is acting. I know him from Schindler's List and I thought Schindler's List was his first movie. But it seems he's been around for at least 25 years before that.

The movie had several critical problems. The main was:
The whole effort of Spain and Portugal was to find a way for slavery. The church ended the missionary. And then all of a sudden they started killing every Indian.

Was the theme song you mentioned Vita Nostra? I know this song, but never heard a singer actually sing it. I don't know the composer either.
Shazam says Ennio Marricone. But I don't know him/her and am not sure even if it's correct.

Last edited:

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
I enjoy 'The Fifth Element'. One crazy cast of characters. Some very unlikely situations. More comedy than action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom