Remote Desktop - Multi user (1 Viewer)

Gismo

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:41
Hi all,

How would you handle a multi user environment.
you can not open access file if another user has the file open
when the file is on a server and my engineers gets access through the remote desktop, everyone will use the same front end

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 02:41
Everyone gets their own copy of the front end.
Works great.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:41
Each end-user must have their own copy.
Create a folder for the user and put a copy of the front end in that folder.

Sharing a front end is a disaster waiting to happen.

Gismo

Registered User.
Local time
I have about 30 engineers
I did give each of the admin user their own file which works perfect, they are only 5, so easy to manage
with the engineers, not that easy

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:41
I have about 30 engineers
I did give each of the admin user their own file which works perfect, they are only 5, so easy to manage
with the engineers, not that easy
Hi. If by "manage" you mean keeping all the copies of the FE up-to-date, then a launcher app or vb script or batch file might help. You could also look up samples of auto FE updaters. Cheers!

Gismo

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. If by "manage" you mean keeping all the copies of the FE up-to-date, then a launcher app or vb script or batch file might help. You could also look up samples of auto FE updaters. Cheers!
That would be amazing, who would I accomplish that?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
That would be amazing, who would I accomplish that?
For example, rather than give each user a copy of the FE, you tell them to execute a shortcut to a launcher app or vb script file. The launcher or script will then download a copy of the master FE and then launches it. Old copies are overwritten on each download to make sure the FE is always the latest version.

Gismo

Registered User.
Local time
For example, rather than give each user a copy of the FE, you tell them to execute a shortcut to a launcher app or vb script file. The launcher or script will then download a copy of the master FE and then launches it. Old copies are overwritten on each download to make sure the FE is always the latest version.
I really like that Idea, please could you give ma a script/code to accomplish that

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I really like that Idea, please could you give ma a script/code to accomplish that
Here's what I was able to dig up here.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I used Bob Larson's auto fe updated method (has to do with some version tables and a bat file), until someone suggested an oh-so-simple method that I have never seen outdone, simplicity-wise.

Use a VBScript (or anything similar) file as their 'database shortcut'. The code in that script file simply downloads a copy of the master FE every time. Now I use that method, unless the FE is really large..which mine virtually never are.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Here is a typical batch file for LAN use.
Code:
md c:\DwgLog
del c:\DwgLog\DrawingLog.accdb
copy "\\BSCCTIMBERLINE1\Timberline Office\AccessApps\Data\CommonFE\DrawingLog.accdb" c:\DwgLog
c:\DwgLog\DrawingLog.accdb

However, a slightly different version is used for Citrix and your Remote Desktop will probably be like the Citrix version
Code:
md %USERPROFILE%\DwgLog
del %USERPROFILE%\DwgLog\DrawingLog.accdb
copy "\\BSCCTIMBERLINE1\Timberline Office\AccessApps\Data\CommonFE\DrawingLog.accdb" %USERPROFILE%\DwgLog
%USERPROFILE%\DwgLog\DrawingLog.accdb

Each has just 4 lines:
Make directory
Delete existing file
Copy new version from server
Start the application

No error checking is necessary unless you need it. the MD works even when the directory already exists and the del words even when the file does not exist.

Gismo

Registered User.
Local time
Here is a typical batch file for LAN use.
Code:
md c:\DwgLog
del c:\DwgLog\DrawingLog.accdb
copy "\\BSCCTIMBERLINE1\Timberline Office\AccessApps\Data\CommonFE\DrawingLog.accdb" c:\DwgLog
c:\DwgLog\DrawingLog.accdb

However, a slightly different version is used for Citrix and your Remote Desktop will probably be like the Citrix version
Code:
md %USERPROFILE%\DwgLog
del %USERPROFILE%\DwgLog\DrawingLog.accdb
copy "\\BSCCTIMBERLINE1\Timberline Office\AccessApps\Data\CommonFE\DrawingLog.accdb" %USERPROFILE%\DwgLog
%USERPROFILE%\DwgLog\DrawingLog.accdb

Each has just 4 lines:
Make directory
Delete existing file
Copy new version from server
Start the application

No error checking is necessary unless you need it. the MD works even when the directory already exists and the del words even when the file does not exist.
I tried you suggestion, just not there yet
I created by .BAT file as below on the remote desktop
I also change the md line to point to the server: \\SJO2054\CAMO

I get .accdb is not recognized

#
@echo OFF
md %USERPROFILE%\Daw Sheet
del %USERPROFILE%\DAW Sheet.accdb
copy "\\SJO2054\CAMO\DAW SHEET\Daw Sheet.accdb" %USERPROFILE%\Daw Sheet
%USERPROFILE%\Daw Sheet.accdb
Pause
#

1591966715012.png

Attachments

• 1591965266503.png
    1591965266503.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:41
If you get the message suggesting that .ACCDB is not recognized then you did not install Access correctly. You need a Windows thing called an Association that says "when running files of type X launch program Y and give it the file name." Installing Access gives you the appropriate file-type associations for the various Access files such as .MDB, .MDE, .ACCDB, .ACCDE, .ACCDR, etc.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Do you need quotes around those paths with spaces in the names? Looks like references made in the error to a path ending with Daw, whereas all the paths you want to refer to end with Daw Sheet, not Daw.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:41
As @pisorsisaac@gmail.co said - it's due to the space in your access file name.
Personally I'd rename it to something without the space and save a whole bunch of pain.

Or mess around with quotes. Your choice :p

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Whoops - Only looked at the COMMAND LINE dialog but missed the fact that there was a space as shown in the earlier narrative. That's what I get for rushing.

Yep, Isaac and Minty are correct. There is probably no file named DAW so of course the message says it couldn't find it to execute it.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
It's probably been 30-40 years since DOS was changed to allow file/path names that include spaces and special characters. it is STILL a BAD idea and I NEVER do it! It is especially problematic when your names will be processed by some program. Programming languages still do NOT allow variable names to include spaces and special characters, when allowed, have special meanings.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Not only do they allow My Documents (with a space in the name) but in Win10 you can have My Pictures, My Movies, My Scans, My Downloads.... the list becomes bothersome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom