Solved About turning access database into an app (1 Viewer)

yamus

Local time
Today, 13:16
Hello
I have a small inventory management app and i made the following:
- i set the login form as the default form when opening the app
- i removed the navigation menu from file-options-current database
- i removed the ribbon using the doCmd.showToolbar command
- i removed the security warning by setting the trusted location
- i converted the database to .accde file
My concerns are:
* when i open the file (the app) it opens without problem, but i see that the form pops over the access window that takes the entire screen. Is there any solution to load the form only without the access window?
* after turning the .accdb to .accde i noticed that queries don't work( login did not work even with the correct username and password). What could be the problem?
Many thanks in advance

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:16
Hi. For question #1, the answer is Yes. But, for some people, the extra work also became a problem. For question #2, you'll have to troubleshoot it to find out.

yamus

Local time
Hi. For question #1, the answer is Yes. But, for some people, the extra work also became a problem. For question #2, you'll have to troubleshoot it to find out.
Hi
About #1 would you please add more details. What is the extra work required
For #2, i just read while searching online that i need tpoconvert it to MDE file. Am i going right or should i use something else ?
Thanks

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi
About #1 would you please add more details. What is the extra work required
For #2, i just read while searching online that i need tpoconvert it to MDE file. Am i going right or should i use something else ?
Thanks
Okay, I'm driving right now. I'll add more details when I get to a computer.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
For #2, i just read while searching online that i need tpoconvert it to MDE file.
Hi. Not sure where you read that, but I don't think that's correct. If your queries were working before, they should still work after you convert the ACCDB to ACCDE. MDE was the old version of ACCDE.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:16
The .mdb/.mde formats are for databases created using versions of Access earlier than A2007. For 13 years (even though some people have still not joined the party), the .accdb/.accde has been current.

Typically, when a database works on one computer but not on another, there is a references issue. "Did not work" is too nebulous. WHAT EXACTLY is the problem? Are you getting an error message? We'd love to know what it is.

Regarding #1, I don't have the code handy but I'm sure it is posted here so try searching for it. If you don't find it, try using duckduckgo.com (I cut Google out of my life years ago). duckduckgo.com doesn't sell your information. Bing (by Microsoft) used to be an inferior search engine but it has gotten better.

There is no way to turn an Access application into an "app" if that is what you are asking about. Compiling into an .accde hides code from users but doesn't stop them from modifying tables, queries, and macros. There are directions on how to do more locking down than just compiling. However, if the database is being distributed internally, I would simply distribute as .accdb but rename to .accdr. That tells Access to pretend to be the run time engine so Access simply will not allow access to any object in design view. The file itself is not protected because anyone can just rename from .accdr back to .accdb and have complete access to everything but it does prevent honest accidents.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Okay, here's more info for you. This is the original code to hide the Access Window from The Access Web.

The "extra work" I'm talking about includes the following:
  1. You have to set up all your forms as Popups
  2. You have to special handle Report Previews
  3. You need to have good Error Handlers throughout
  4. etc. (I can't remember what else)
Good luck!

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
@yamus
I agree with dbGuy that the API method requires some extra work and can be a little bit burdensome to maintain, because the guidelines/rules are pretty rigid. Especially for Reports.

I've followed these instructions in the past and had pretty good luck with them.
HTH

yamus

Local time
The .mdb/.mde formats are for databases created using versions of Access earlier than A2007. For 13 years (even though some people have still not joined the party), the .accdb/.accde has been current.

Typically, when a database works on one computer but not on another, there is a references issue. "Did not work" is too nebulous. WHAT EXACTLY is the problem? Are you getting an error message? We'd love to know what it is.

Regarding #1, I don't have the code handy but I'm sure it is posted here so try searching for it. If you don't find it, try using duckduckgo.com (I cut Google out of my life years ago). duckduckgo.com doesn't sell your information. Bing (by Microsoft) used to be an inferior search engine but it has gotten better.

There is no way to turn an Access application into an "app" if that is what you are asking about. Compiling into an .accde hides code from users but doesn't stop them from modifying tables, queries, and macros. There are directions on how to do more locking down than just compiling. However, if the database is being distributed internally, I would simply distribute as .accdb but rename to .accdr. That tells Access to pretend to be the run time engine so Access simply will not allow access to any object in design view. The file itself is not protected because anyone can just rename from .accdr back to .accdb and have complete access to everything but it does prevent honest accidents.
I don't get error message. When i click the login button, nothing happens. This did not occur with the accdb file(the query that searches the username and the password worked fine). Furthermore, the same thing happens for example with search forms. When i click on the search button, nothing happens

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I don't get error message. When i click the login button, nothing happens. This did not occur with the accdb file(the query that searches the username and the password worked fine). Furthermore, the same thing happens for example with search forms. When i click on the search button, nothing happens
If nothing was happening when you click the button, either it's not firing or it's not doing what you thought it would do. If you're not using error handlers, you might consider using some now. If you already have error handlers and they're not getting triggered, then consider adding some breakpoints in your code, so you can trace what's happening.

yamus

Local time
Thanks for everyone. I tried what you suggested and it worked fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom