My Love of Coding (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:39
Do you feel that sometimes things just feel right? I have been running an Amazon FBA business on the side for the last 5 years but decided to learn some coding again. I am enjoying "work" again! It just seems to sit nicely with me. Doing all those algos, logical constructions and the certainty of it all. Yes! Yes!

Does anyone else feel like this when coding? Have you gone down a side-road by mistake and then come back to what you love, those little lines of code that do amazing things?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:39
Sounds like you were missing those algorasms. But then again, so do I - sometimes.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 20:39
Does anyone else feel like this when coding? Have you gone down a side-road by mistake and then come back to what you love, those little lines of code that do amazing things?
Yes! It is a major source of satisfaction to me.

As far as side roads. I have had a few things here and there shoved at me by bosses or corporate trends that would have killed the joy of coding (Business Analyst positions, Tableau), etc., but I've always come back to those little lines of code that do amazing things.

If I had to choose, I'd rather be writing lines of code in the oldest or most "un-fashionable" thing (VBScript or Excel vba) than be designing without code in the latest fad.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
What do you current code in?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Currently? VBA (Excel/Access) & VBscript.

I'm normally a SQL server developer as well, but in my new job we don't have one yet but are hoping to get one in the next few months.

Reactions: Jon

neuroman9999

Local time
Yes! Yes!

you sound like Elena. but she says it like this: ""yeeesssssss, yeeeeesssss".
sometimes I wonder if she's doing the deed and talking to me at the same time!

Doing all those algos, logical constructions and the certainty of it all.

Jon, I SERIOUSLY doubt you've ever written a true algorithm in your entire life. None of these are algorithms:
PHP:
if [] then
PHP:
case []
   case is []
      {}
   case else
      {}
end case
PHP:
for ( [] ) {
   {}
}
PHP:
var x;
x = md5("password");
now, something like THIS, alternatively, would definitely be one, in part:
PHP:
  For i = 0 To 19
    T = U32Add(U32Add(U32Add(U32Add(U32RotateLeft5(A), E), W(i)), Key1), ((B And C) Or ((Not B) And D)))
    E = D: D = C: C = U32RotateLeft30(B): B = A: A = T
  Next i

Function U32Add(ByVal A As Long, ByVal B As Long) As Long
  If (A Xor B) < 0 Then
    U32Add = A + B
  Else
    U32Add = (A Xor &H80000000) + B Xor &H80000000
  End If
End Function

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Adam, be nice. You are playing one-upmanship on Jon this time.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I think the main thing Adam is very good at is copying and pasting things from the internet.

neuroman9999

Local time
I think the main thing Adam is very good at is copying and pasting things from the internet.
of course, dude! If you have a brain, you would see that proper case is always copied from the net. HELLO. why the hell would I write my own bitwise ops if it's already been written decades ago!? furthermore, do you think any corporate coder writes bitwise anymore? they don't have time. and they don't have to either. the machines do it now. you're not smart enuf to figure that one out?

that's not it b.u.d.d.y b.o.y. nice try. it was a different page.

neuroman9999

Local time
I never got my head around the XOR
really!? it's literally this simple Tony:

here are some examples, similar to what you see on that page:
Code:
inputs....(there ARE the same number of DIFFERENT types of inputs that are the SAME value)

output (XOR)....
Code:
inputs....
output (XOR)....(there ARE the same number of DIFFERENT types of inputs that are the SAME value)
Code:
inputs....(there are NOT the same number of DIFFERENT types of inputs that are the SAME value.)

output (XOR)....
Code:
inputs....(there are NOT the same number of DIFFERENT types of inputs that are the SAME value.)

output (XOR)....
Code:

output (XOR)....(there are NOT the same number of DIFFERENT types of inputs that are the SAME value.)
does that help, Tony? :) if it does, you can thank me later. if you want a classic VBA example of how programmers use this XOR phenomenon to secure programs, see what I posted earlier, elsewhere:

per my post, this is the relevant code:
PHP:
Function U32Add(ByVal A As Long, ByVal B As Long) As Long
  If (A Xor B) < 0 Then
    U32Add = A + B
  Else
    U32Add = (A Xor &H80000000) + B Xor &H80000000
  End If
End Function
so you see, it does not matter what value ''A'' or ''B'' are, because these are the rules:
Code:
if human readable version of ''A''  = ''5'' and thus is seen as ''00110001 00110000 00110001'' to the machine, and human readable version of ''B'' = ''10'' and thus seen as ''00110001 00110000 00110001 00110000'' to the machine, then
   output = "110001001100000011000100111010", and thus, the machine sees all sorts of crap.
end if
that is a semi-wild explanation. I didn't provide all the code that plays into it obviously, nor do I have the time to analyze it. there's no need to in this day in age because the big boys have made it so damn easy, it's not worth the time. although the academic world still knows how to do it. they haven't been dumbed down to the point of stupidity. :(

I hope I got all that right! if I'm wrong, someone please make a correction so Tony doesn't feel bad, and I don't look bad either. :(

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Jon, I SERIOUSLY doubt you've ever written a true algorithm in your entire life. None of these are algorithms:
When I was 16, I was doing 16 hours per day 6502 assembly language programming, and wrote 5 games. I sold 4 of them in a national computer magazine, back when there were very few software programs out there and hardly any games. I had no printer which made it hard and documentation/training was minimal back in those days.

neuroman9999

Local time
When I was 16, I was doing 16 hours per day 6502 assembly language programming, and wrote 5 games. I sold 4 of them in a national computer magazine, back when there were very few software programs out there and hardly any games. I had no printer which made it hard and documentation/training was minimal back in those days.

got a coding sample? I'll test it. =)

and, I stand corrected. you should've mentioned this youthful talent of yours a long time ago here. why didn't you?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
All my code is probably wiped now since I was programming on a BBC Model B computer. That things was fabulous. The games I sold were written in Basic, 5 games on a cassette. A friend of mine contributed 1 game. I split everything 50:50. I must have been pretty dumb back then!

The 6502 was for a faster, slicker space invaders type game. I never fully completed it. No printer, short on storage and it made the whole project very difficult indeed.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
BBC basic. It was simple and easy to program.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom