My Love of Coding (1 Viewer)

neuroman9999

Local time
Yesterday, 20:30
holy buckets! according to this, it's extremely outdated:

not to mention, according to its look alone, it's obviously not loved anymore: :(

11111.jpg

neuroman9999

Local time
that looks like the UNIX screen / command line interface that Richard Pryor was typing into as he was trying to defraud the tyrant's oil company who was keeping the fractions of the pennies in revenue in secret accounts. he was hacking the system. In Superman 3. see here:

(@1min, 55 sec)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:30
They updated the language and introduced procs (Procedures), which are basically functions. They transformed programming in the language. It helped me break everything down, a bit like OOP helps you break things down into objects.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 18:30
you should've mentioned this youthful talent of yours a long time ago here. why didn't you?
Because real developers don't talk like you do. AT ALL. The more skill a person has, generally, the less they require the constant validation provided by bragging. With the possible exception of Joe Celko, but that's more just being an a-hole.

neuroman9999

Local time
Oh my GOD!

I'm laughing out loud. The fun thing is, ability to use Google runs both directions!
so am I to assume that you guys think I'm incompetent because you're assuming that I actually use this for one of my clients? if that's what you people are thinking your way off base because I've got things covered a million times in other ways. but apparently you're not smart enough to figure that one out and you'll never know either because you don't know who the clients are. Keep trying

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Yesterday, 21:30
Because real developers don't talk like you do. AT ALL. The more skill a person has, generally, the less they require the constant validation provided by bragging. With the possible exception of Joe Celko, but that's more just being an a-hole.
I responded here

neuroman9999

Local time
We know more than we want to.
Yeah right. Until you can tell me the balance of my bank account at Green State credit Union in this town I don't believe a damn thing you say. furthermore I seriously doubt you can get a hold of any information that you could even use to do anything of any value

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Do you feel that sometimes things just feel right? I have been running an Amazon FBA business on the side for the last 5 years but decided to learn some coding again. I am enjoying "work" again! It just seems to sit nicely with me. Doing all those algos, logical constructions and the certainty of it all. Yes! Yes!

Does anyone else feel like this when coding? Have you gone down a side-road by mistake and then come back to what you love, those little lines of code that do amazing things?
I share your enthusiasm, but with limits. At one time I ventured into programming and enrolled at ECPI. I made it through COBOL and FORTRAN and decided I just do not like coding/programming.

What I DO love is taking simple, tedious and mundane procedures and making them easy. Once I was exposed to a RDBMS (Paradox) I was off and running and here I am today. I cant believe I actually get paid to play with Access, but I will ride this horse until she falls out from beneath me!

In another thread, I referred to some of the heavy-weights on this site as Demi-Gods with their prowess in VBA. Galaxiom countered that the heavy-weights were not Demi-Gods but Magicians who make what seems impossible, in fact possible.

What a PERFECT and succinct summation of what it is we do here...

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I remember Paradox. I was using Access and I think it was always a competitor, perhaps more advanced but harder to use?

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I remember Paradox. I was using Access and I think it was always a competitor, perhaps more advanced but harder to use?
Extremely easy to use (for programmers) and at one time, the #1 RDBMS. The refused to change and figured they will always be on top - the beginning of the end.

I actually think it was the Code-Behind-The-Forms technology that propelled Access to the forefront. Suddenly non-programmers could do magic...

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
That is what I mean about my perception that Paradox was harder to use. Perhaps it was the code behind the forms. Or to be honest, not having to do any coding at all in very many cases, just using the control wizards (or whatever they are called) that create an open form, doing all that lovely code behind the scenes.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I suppose at one time that may have been true. Their QBE as cutting edge and the reports feature was their strong-suite - nothing to what Access offers today - but at the time it was very robust.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I used to love Paradox for DOS, but when they switched to Paradox for Windows, I felt that they screwed the pooch on their GUI. That is when I tried Access (v2.0 at the time) and was hooked.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I suppose perhaps it is a bit like Apple products, where they tried to make them easy to use and they gained market share. Same for Access.

neuroman9999

Local time
I used to love Paradox for DOS
are you kidding me!? look at this!

I thought Corel died a long time ago. my God: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corel

my father used their MS WORD equivalent for a long time. word Perfect. man, that program was horrid. but then again, it was more savvy than MS's junk. It was literally meant for traditional business people. I mean, back when business people had brains and California's idiocy hadn't taken over the world yet. :(

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Well, I might as well REALLY disillusion you. My wife and I used WordStar for Windows to make our own wedding booklets.

Wifey STILL likes WordPerfect more than she likes MS Word. Me? Hardly matters.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 18:30
Well, I might as well REALLY disillusion you. My wife and I used WordStar for Windows to make our own wedding booklets.

Wifey STILL likes WordPerfect more than she likes MS Word. Me? Hardly matters.

It was actually just about 1.5 yr ago when I was taking over the role of a guy who was retiring, he was showing me the ropes and one of his process steps involved Wordpad. I was very surprised - because, just from never "trying" it over the years, I did NOT know it still shipped with Windows!

Now that is kind of cool to know, but I wish Microsoft had 'accidentally' left in Windows Photo Viewer rather than Wordpad or in addition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom