My Love of Coding (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:38
For once we may be in agreement. I'm a firm believer that when it comes to word editors, "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with." And apologies to Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young for bringing them into the fracas.

neuroman9999

Local time
"If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with."
nice one. and speaking of many tools that do exactly the same thing, see all of these:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 14:38
Because the greatest honor for any yuppie coder is to have 'founded' a new coding language. Never mind it might look, smell and taste 93.7% the same as the last one. It's the yearning to be called: "So and so - the original author of ___"

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 22:38

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 17:38
I wonder when it will become more advantageous to "upgrade" the language over training new programmers. I hated COBOL when I took it at ECPI and even if I had retained the knowledge, the idea of maintaining a company's system isn't even close to appealing. I suppose if the money was VERY attractive I could swallow my distain.

Then again, at what price do you draw the line at? The article mentioned the robustness and stability of COBOL being a major deciding factor, but I'd lay dollars to donuts the cost of "re-tooling" is even more (a factor).

conception_native_0123

Local time
People with older coding language skills are in great demand, according to this article:-

That's been a hot story for a long time uncle g.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Along the lines of "older coding languages" and the dearth of people with those skills...

There is the story of the COBOL programmer who had a fatal disease but had his body frozen so that he could live on in cryosleep until his disease could be cured. So time passed (but not for him...)

The programmer wakes up in a really advanced looking clinic. There is a doctor and a nurse, but there are a few other folks who are dressed in strange-looking business suits. When the doctor says, "Sir, we have cured you, but these gentlemen have a question for you...."

So the programmer said, "What kind of a question?"

One of the men says, "Our records tell us you can program in COBOL. You see, we have this Y10K problem next year..."

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 22:38
I don't think Adam will understand that joke Richard!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom