New forum sections - suggestions? (2 Viewers)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:50
Screenshot missing.

conception_native_0123

Local time
Today, 09:50
woud
For example, is it worth having a Security and Privacy Issues forum? What about Networking? Just interested in some ideas.

woud like to see a section for browers. i know i just post question about firefox but i use all the browers that on market for testing purpose. could that be possible? i know you already have other software forum...

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Just use the other software forum.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210502-073908.png
    Screenshot_20210502-073908.png
    266.1 KB · Views: 158

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
All ideas are welcome and get logged in my brain somewhere.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
All ideas are welcome and get logged in my brain somewhere.
Works for me on Android?
Had to remove it though as it was revealing a little too much info, and no edit button on Android or Delete image option.

Found the Edit on ...

Last edited:

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Works for me on Android?
Had to remove it though as it was revealing a little too much info, and no edit button on Android or Delete image option.

Attachments

• IMG_20210429_154010_0.jpg
    IMG_20210429_154010_0.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 169

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:50
Hi Jon,
Is there any way to add subsections? It would be great to be able to classify database and code samples to make them easier to find. Searching doesn't always bring them up if you don't know what they are called.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Can you give an example of what you mean?

Moderator added this to my post:
There are hundreds (maybe thousands) of database and code samples. If I'm looking for something specific, I might be able to find it by searching if I hit on the right keywords. But, I'm sure that there are lots of samples that even I would benefit from viewing. It is just too tedious to scroll through, download, and open each one. So if we could have subfolders (we'd have to think about them carefully) like Dates, searching, navigation forms, menus, metro form design, someone with time to browse might be able to narrow in on something they didn't even know they needed or find if they didn't come up with the right search terms.

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Who would go through all these code samples to categorise them all?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:50
Once we figure out some good categories, we can ask people to move their own databases and code samples. That would be easy enough if you could manage to get a list of everyone who has posted a sample. That would give us the universe of people to contact. Of course some people won't be active or might not see the PM. So for whatever is left unclassified, the moderators can categorize them as they have time and move them.

I would run this idea by some of the other moderators to see if they think it is worth the effort. And we also need some group think to come up with good categories.

I don't remember if I've posted any samples so for people to manage their own samples, it would be easiest if there were a filter to just bring back "my" samples or "someones" samples. The search function might do that. I haven't tried it.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 07:50
This discussion makes me think of the "tags" concept. Many forums require Tags. I guess it is powerful, because it is a good way to tell the search engine what keywords to prioritize, rather than depending on the Original Poster's often-less-than-stellar ability to word questions relevantly ...
(Imagine all the posts titled "Can this be done?" rather than "Change Form Recordset Dynamically").

Then again, I guess I have to admit, if they can't be bothered to take the effort to create a decently worded question, I ought not assume the Tags will go any more smoothly...

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
When I was a moderator, I setup a system whereby threads in example databases and code samples were locked after about three months. I don't know whether any of the current mods have continued to manage that system. Anyway because all older threads are locked, the OPs won't be able to add tags or move the thread to a subgroup without assistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom