People's trust in the police in the USA. (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 15:15
Simple question. Do Americans here (and generally) trust the police?
Today is the anniversary of the death of Mr Floyd. We know that Americans pretend to be shocked and disgusted etc, yet in 2020 just over a thousand people were killed by the USA police, why single out just one?
We see police violence on TV news, in the TV programmes from USA. I read the other day of a middle aged woman went through a red light, she was stopped by the police at gunpoint, ordered out of the car and told to spread eagle on the ground with two officers pointing guns at her. Apparently, they suspected she had a gun in the glove box (she didn't). Is this normal?
We know some parents here encouraged their daughters to go to Washington on 6th Jan to participate in the smashing up of congress. Obviously it's denied. But it shows how bad parenting can encourage younger people to flout the law.
Why is it necessary for police in the USA to become trigger happy legal killers?

Col

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 08:15
Law abiding people here tend to be just fine with the police. Funny how that works - and (apparently), confusing to some :p

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:15
Some of us know how to avoid ticking off the police. Others? Not so much.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Resist arrest = poor outcome.

conception_native_0123

Local time
Others? Not so much.
ME?

I pissed them off a while back by stopping into the local cop shop at 3am night after night asking about satellites and how they will be used in the future. They about committed me to a mental institution!

conception_native_0123

Local time
But it shows how bad parenting can encourage younger people to flout the law.
bad parenting is not just the part of parents. It's about the human race. humans are the problem, not just kids. just like @The_Doc_Man says. he's said that many times.

I read the other day of a middle aged woman went through a red light, she was stopped by the police at gunpoint, ordered out of the car and told to spread eagle on the ground with two officers pointing guns at her. Apparently, they suspected she had a gun in the glove box (she didn't). Is this normal?
we have a bus stop here that has a "do not enter" sign in front of it. I see people get pulled over there and issued tickets all the time, and even though this is the biggest liberal city in Iowa, I've never seen anyone had a gun pulled on them before. but then again, this is NOT a huge city. I bet it is different in those...

1.jpg

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
you'll NEVER get me, doc man!

There could be two reasons for that.

First, you MIGHT be smarter and faster than me.

Second, I might not care enough to make the attempt.

I believe I know which one of those would be your choice but don't be hasty.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 11:15
Well just when I thought he had lost him forever, he is back and better than ever!

Good to see you Col...

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I was going to respond, as at first it looked like an actual attempt to have a reasoned discussion. Then the later part of the post made it obvious that the intention was just to tweak noses, particularly @Pat Hartman . I almost fell for it! :p

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I was going to respond, as at first it looked like an actual attempt to have a reasoned discussion. Then the later part of the post made it obvious that the intention was just to tweak noses, particularly @Pat Hartman . I almost fell for it! :p
Wise decision IMO. He's on my ignore list but I decided I could afford a one line response. Now it's going back on ignore.
If I ever want to subject myself to crude insults again, I can always unignore.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today is the anniversary of the death of Mr Floyd. We know that Americans pretend to be shocked and disgusted etc, yet in 2020 just over a thousand people were killed by the USA police, why single out just one?
We see police violence on TV news, in the TV programmes from USA. I read the other day of a middle aged woman went through a red light, she was stopped by the police at gunpoint, ordered out of the car and told to spread eagle on the ground with two officers pointing guns at her. Apparently, they suspected she had a gun in the glove box (she didn't). Is this normal?
We know some parents here encouraged their daughters to go to Washington on 6th Jan to participate in the smashing up of congress. Obviously it's denied. But it shows how bad parenting can encourage younger people to flout the law.
Why is it necessary for police in the USA to become trigger happy legal killers?
The media has been hyperbolically mischaracterizing police violence to promote a vile leftest political agenda, such as that of the racist organization Black Lives Matter. What the media, if they were honest, should be pointing out is that many of these instances of asserted police violence are actually the result of the person being arrested escalating the situation into violence. It is not the police who need to go to "training" to deescalate, but the citizens who should go to "training" to learn how to behave in a civil manner. What is also missing from this topic has been the destruction of the Black family resulting from unintended consequences of the "Great Society" put into effect in the 1960s. Restoring the Black family would help solve this crises of violence.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Well just when I thought he had lost him forever, he is back and better than ever!

Good to see you Col...
I've not been anywhere really. It's just that the posts have been so boring about USA politics, talking about people we've never heard of, I couldn't be bothered to post as I have no idea what people are talking about where USA politics is concerned.
I just felt the urge to post that about police. I can't understand why Mr Floyd is the centre of police killings when there are over 1000 others in 2020.
I agree the bit about parenting is tongue in cheek- no offence intended but plenty taken I suspect. I just wanted to steer away from dopey politics.

Col

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
My wife had a run in with a cop (long before I knew her). He stopped her claiming her rear license plate was missing. He really just wanted her phone number (he confessed after he confronted him, she did not believe her license plate was missing).

Cops are as human as the next person. Unfortunately it only takes a few bad ones to give all of them a bad name.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
To answer the question, in my case, is yes. I have lived in the US most of my life and have had been fortunate to live in Japan, Spain and Italy. I have been stopped by the police in ALL of them. Luckily, the ones in foreign countries were simply traffic stops.

However, in the US I have been arrested for public drunk and disorderly, fighting, driving under the influence as well as various traffic violations. Some of them involved being hand-cuffed with a free ride "downtown". In ALL cases, whether the cop was male or female, black, white or Hispanic (the only ethnicities involved) - even while intoxicated - I knew to keep a civil tongue and comply or things would go badly for me.

Some would call it luck, others would categorize it as cause and effects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom