The Slightly Obscure Music Discussion And Quizzy Thread (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 06:44
It seems that my deferral was the speed bump that stopped the thread. Sorry, gang, but I really had too much going on and too few hours in the day for all the crap that was happening.
I keep meaning to ask you, how is your wife's knee doing, back to normal-ish ?

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 09:44
Ya know Isaac, you're a good egg...a little cracked, but still a good egg.

Last edited:

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
SirrusXM plays Casey Kasem's American Top 40: 70s & 80s. This show is no longer being produced. Since SirrusXM does not play commercial commercials, listening to Kasem's show has become more enjoyable. Kasem had extensive teases wrapped around commercials which was irritating waiting for the "punch line". Those delays and convolutions are gone now.

My main point, I like listening to the 70s hits. That period involved many songs related to TV programs making the top 40, such as Mary Tyler More's TV theme song. And Coke's famous commercial. Many of the programs in this time period, also dealt with topics such a diversity, female empowerment and going back into the community (Welcome Back Kotter) to improve it. They were fun to watch and evoked many positive feelings. Now, instead of treating these topics in a positive humorous fashion we seem to be presented with hate filled demands by the various "victim" groups that they are entitled to have their claimed "problems" solved by government autocratic decree (equity). Note Coke's recent blind support of today's "woke" tyranny. A refutation of the image they attempted to portray in their 1970s commercials. I wonder if any of the recent TV shows dealing with these topic have even had a theme songs make into the "Top 40", however that is determined today. Today, we seem to be in a creative desert.

The video originally posted became "unavailable". Hopefully this one remains available.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:44
I keep meaning to ask you, how is your wife's knee doing, back to normal-ish ?

Other than the occasional twinge, often weather-related, she's doing pretty well in the knee. As we age, we are finding other complaints. All I can say here is to quote my cousin who has been known to say "Old age is not for sissies."

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Other than the occasional twinge, often weather-related, she's doing pretty well in the knee. As we age, we are finding other complaints. All I can say here is to quote my cousin who has been known to say "Old age is not for sissies."
Glad to hear it. Knees is a tough problem spot..

Yeah ... My mother just had open heart surgery, recovering very well, but ... it really made me stop and think of how "unfair life is"--Older people, after living young and strong for so many years, then get hit with (sometimes), rough patches to go through at the worst possible time! Although I'm glad it was my mother & not my father. She's 74. My dad is 84--and still mows a lot of grass, does drywall and paint projects, takes plenty of walks and bicycle rides, etc.
I will have to focus and de-sissify myself as I approach older age to compete with some of these folks.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
♪♫ ♪♫ And someone played a Beach Boys song on the jukebox
It it was California Dreamin'
So we started screamin'
On such a winter's daaaaaay ♫♪♫♪

Darrell

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:44
♪♫ ♪♫ And someone played a Beach Boys song on the jukebox
It it was California Dreamin'
So we started screamin'
On such a winter's daaaaaay ♫♪♫♪

This song must have been performed on the Muppet Show at some point, yes...?

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Nope. "Punk Rock Girl" by The Dead Milkmen. I went through a punk rock stage a few decades ago

Darrell

Registered User.
Local time
Any Floyd / Prog rock fans here...?

A bit of shameless promotion for a young up-and-coming band in NZ (that my step-brother has also just joined and now plays bass for :cool:)

All self produced, recorded, mastered and everything else by the band.

Opening track on their 2nd album

Syd Barret-esque tune off 1st album

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Recently there was a music discussion on Gutfeld! The question arose on whether the Beatles were overrated. Surprisingly one person said yes. That raised an eybrow. The Beatles music is now over 50 years old. The person thinking that the Beatles music was overrated was much younger. So I suspect that he was not old enough to know how much innovation and evolution the Beatles brought to music.

Recently heard Back in the USSR, a great fun song spoofing the Beach Boys California Girls.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Paul McCartney referred to the rolling stones as a glorified blues cover band a while back. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: he's made similar comments in the past.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I've been following recent releases by Pentatonix, who is possibly one of the most underrated groups around. Of course, a capella is not for everyone, which contributes to their lesser standing despite having earned 3 Grammy awards and despite having several platinum-level albums.

All I can say about them is that they are insanely talented and, when taken together, might be the most versatile group you ever heard.

Darrell

Registered User.
Local time
The question arose on whether the Beatles were overrated. Surprisingly one person said yes.

Personally I don't find that surprising at all - Although I was not around when they were big, I find their music almost un-listenable.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Darrell, to each his / her own. A lot of their early stuff was based on trivial 3-chord (1-4-5 progression) or 4-chord sequences (so-called "circle 6th" progression) and was almost run-of-the-mill. Some of the later stuff became a bit more intriguing. They evolved from "good but not great" to "pretty darned good." However, there is also the most important factor to remember about popular music. What were people playing at the time when they wanted music? If the Beatles discography of that era "scratched the public itch" then they cannot have been all bad. Now we have other groups to fill the void, to scratch the itch, to tickle the public fancy. And so it has always been.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Sargent Pepper's was a fairly complex album for its day and is one of my all time favorites.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom