The Slightly Obscure Music Discussion And Quizzy Thread (1 Viewer)

Darrell

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:40
each his / her own

Mind you, a lot of people also like the Red Hot Chilli Peppers and I'd rather have red hot needles poked into my eyeballs than listen to them :ROFLMAO:

And now my wife has come out saying that she really doesn't like Pink Floyd...!!! So I could be single soon...

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 18:40
I like a few limited items from RHCP ... It's just the crispness of it that I'm in the mood for now and then.

Right now I'm in a phase. About a year ago, I did as I often do - start a Pandora station with an example song, then allow it to continue on in its own direction, as I train it with thumbs up or down. Spotify's popularity notwithstanding, I still think Pandora is the best thing since sliced bread. In the space of an afternoon, I have a station trained to play a certain genre but only specific songs that I like within that genre - without me having to tell it what they are - since I can never remember songs anyway - for the next 2 years!

So I started with Joe Satriani. (your cup of tea or not, who doesn't admire?)
By now Pandora has led me on a path so great that, I actually usually skip the Satriani songs in favor of everything else I got exposed to.

I can listen to 3 hours solid of Buckethead, Joe Petrucci, Vinnie Moore, Angel Vivaldi - and still want 3 more! Absolutely unbelievable stuff.

Darrell

Registered User.
Local time
So I started with Joe Satriani. (your cup of tea or not, who doesn't admire?)

Now we're talking - I've seen Joe live 3 times now in NZ and he never fails to deliver an amazing show.

I'm pretty much half way down the rabbit hole of discovering a band called Porcupine Tree - Unbelievably good prog band from the UK who most people have never even heard of. I certainly hadn't which annoys me greatly as I'll never get the chance to see them live.
Try 'Arriving somewhere but not here' if you've got 12 minutes spare :D

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:40
If we are talking musical preferences, there are three things I don't allow in the house.

1. SUPER heavy metal of the kind that makes Kiss or Slayer look like pansies. For example, GWAR.

Though to clarify a fine point: The band Steppenwolf's Born To Be Wild is the first known song to use the term "heavy metal" and I kind of like their work. Particularly Magic Carpet Ride.

2. Extremely angry "gangsta" rap.

Again, to clarify: Some of Will Smith's early work included "witty" rap that involved black teen angst but that wasn't all angry to the point of "poppin' caps" and doing things with "hoes" and such. Also didn't threaten to blow out my home windows because of the speaker system in the car passin' down the street.

3. Howlin' dawg country laments, where when your own hound hears the song, he rears his head back and howls.

Again, I like some country artists. But when the "twang" in the song passes a certain level, it's just outta here.

I'll even listen to bagpipe music to make my wife happy. And she will even listen to (some of) my Dr. Demento collection. So you know I have to be fairly tolerant.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 18:40
@Darrell I'm listening to it now, WOW ... pretty amazing.

@The_Doc_Man yeah that's a pretty good list, there. rap is so interesting - most of it is the most awful thing in the world, the other 25% all of a sudden switches to the most intelligent lyrics ever! it seems to go back and forth. last night i watched about 10 minutes of Chappelle's The Closer on Netflix (to see what all the hullabulloo was about!), and it began, before Chappelle talks, with some of what I guess you would call rap that was so awesome I have a hankering to find it again and listen to the whole song!
The closest information I could find was this page, and not even sure this is it:

The only country I listen to is from the 70's-80's, maybe early 90's.
Toby Keith, Randy Travis, Clint Black, etc.

Oh - I do like some Johnny Cash songs, like guitar pickin man.

Darrell

Registered User.
Local time
WOW ... pretty amazing.

Yeah they're amazing alright - one of the best drummers I've ever heard and fantastic songwriting. Check out their album Fear of A Blank Planet if you want to hear some concept album greatness!!

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
If you sing or write a country song, there are rules you should follow:-

1) you need a singer with a whining voice, like Tammy Wynette, Dolly Parton or Leanne Rimes.
2) the song must be about a relationship breakup.
3) the song must have a steel pedal guitar for the whining middle 8.
4) the song must contain the word 'blue'
5) the song must contain the word 'lonesome'..
6) the song must sound like any other country music song.

Do this, and you have a hit on your hands.

Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:40
Actually, Col, you left out some alternatives. You should talk about topics such as Mama (but never "Mother"), pick-up trucks, bad rain, trains, prisons, or getting drunk. (Pay attention to the last verse of the link.)

Here's the link:

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Yesterday, 21:40
Something about high beams
Blinded by the light...

When I heard the Rainbow version after a decade or so from when it first came out, I often wondered if the lead guitarist was influenced by Brian May.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom