The Slightly Obscure Music Discussion And Quizzy Thread (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 01:50
You were a drummer...I would not have guessed that. Any genre you prefer over the others?
Yes, I still play occasionally, I get phone calls from different bands asking me to fill in if their own drummer can't make the gig.
My preference is for 60's music, but have played in an orchestra and toured Germany and Belgium. So I'll play whatever is needed.
I also play bass guitar and again also fill in if needed, I played bass in a blues quartet for a couple of years, that was nice.
I have 4 bass guitars, I also have 5 stratocaster 6 string guitars and one drum kit.
I suppose I should sell some kit but they're like old friends, oh, I've got 2 bass amps and one amp for the strats. Actually, I think I'm still on YouTube playing bass along to some stuff.
Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:50
Learn something new about folks every day. I didn't know you played, Col.

When I played organ in New Orleans in the French Quarter, my primary group didn't do much touring. We were at least as good as some of the bands I've heard that DID tour. We were tight, musically, and had a decent repertoire for the era. For us it was the late 1960s and in the USA, that was the time of the British "Pop" Invasion. We also did blues and Dixieland stuff, some hard rock & roll (well... hard for those days. It has since gotten MUCH harder.) I also did wedding gigs during my graduate-school days. Theoretically I can play trumpet but (a) I was not very good because I just couldn't develop a good embrochure, and (b) Hurricane Katrina badly corroded my trumpet. We had so much to replace for the house that an instrument I no longer played just wasn't important. We DID eventually replace the organ.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Ha ha, there's alot you don't know about me, even after 20 odd years on these forums.
Your music history is fascinating and you are in the perfect place for dixieland, blues and jazz. My blues band I was in would be a poor effort compared to you. I learned drums in the early 60's playing along to the likes of Chris Montez, Johnny Tillotson, Chuck Berry- American music was fantastic in those days, I spent all my money on the latest American releases, on 45rpm of course.
I took up bass guitar later and seemed quite good at it, I learned from James Jamerson of Motown fame, and also our Paul Mccartney then I played bass in bands. I feel honoured that I had the opportunity to meet Sir Paul for a couple of hours chatting about music, life etc.
Anyway, enough boring stuff. I'll shut up.
Col

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:50
We should try and use music as a common ground, instead of hammering on the things we have no control over.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Interesting that you met Sir Paul. One could reasonably say that he might have known a little bit about professional music and touring with a group.

In my college days I met a couple of people of note. I was the stage organist for the backup band at a Sonny and Cher concert. I had a chance to attend the after-concert party. Sonny and Cher came in. He was "Mr. Happy Face." She was "Ms. Snarly Face." It was "Hi, Bye..." for those two. I also met Charly Rich (a.k.a. "The Silver Fox"), a country singer who in the 1960s had a few cross-over hits in the Pop/Rock genre. He is in fact one of two people who convinced me to not follow a career in music. He had toured for over a decade with his band before hitting the big time. He explained to me the real meaning of "my license plate is my address." Nice guy, soft-spoken, very polite.

I also briefly met Al Hirt, the Julliard-trained trumpet player who had a few pops hits and was also notorious for the TV Theme to the "Green Hornet" series. My wife and I went on a riverboat cruise on Christmas Eve because we were going to view the bonfires along the river levee. (It's an old Cajun tradition to light the way for "Papa Noel.") He was there with - I think - his 4th wife. As it turned out, I knew several of the folks in his band because they would congregate where my group played on Friday and Saturday nights, loosening up before working at Al's club. He was a jolly fellow and I didn't want to take too much of his time since he was with his wife and they didn't tend to stick with him too long.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
OK. Back in the early 60's, I was learning the drumming technique, I saved for a drum kit, and bought LP's (albums) of Count Basie, Harry James and other swing orchestras so I could learn from their drummers like Gene Krupa, Louis Belson and of course the greatest drummer of all time - Buddy Rich. Then I got into pop music (American of course) so I could learn from the most successful session drummer Hal Blaine. I practiced for hours and months, eventually, I was half decent. Then came The Beatles and what you call 'The British Invasion', so I joined a band aged around 18 and played all over the South West of England. I saw Buddy Rich orchestra every year to learn his style and technique. I even saw him in Australia when we lived there. I was offered the job of a session drummer in London, but personal circumstances didn't allow.
I dont play too much now, I'm too old, and modern music is not my thing, plus covid stopped all live gigs, I just play bass at home or as I said if someone wants a bassman.
Next chapter later.
Col

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:50
My wife has been wanting an electric keyboard to replace the upright piano we sold a few years back. In April I bought her an 88-weighted key electric piano. She's been jamming on it ever since. I've been eyeing an acoustic guitar in our local music shop, I may have to scoop it up if the neck is somewhat straight.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
My wife has been wanting an electric keyboard to replace the upright piano we sold a few years back. In April I bought her an 88-weighted key electric piano. She's been jamming on it ever since. I've been eyeing an acoustic guitar in our local music shop, I may have to scoop it up if the neck is somewhat straight.
Go for it AB. It doesn't matter if you are good, bad or Segovia.

I find (and always have) that music has a strange ability to lose the player from daily life and you are immersed in a whole new world. It doesn't matter if you play or listen, if you fancy it go for it. Listen to the fabulous harmonies of The Everly Brothers or Beach Boys, you get transported to another place.
I try to emulate a British guitarist called Hank Marvin, to hear him, look up 'Apache' by The Shadows on YouTube, I'm absolute rubbish but I enjoy trying.
Col

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Yesterday, 20:50
FB_IMG_1656321403420.jpg

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I wonder if AB did buy that guitar. Perhaps an update AB?
Col

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Yesterday, 20:50
I've been eyeing an acoustic guitar in our local music shop, I may have to scoop it up if the neck is somewhat straight.
I have the Uke that Micron built for me. I have learned a few ditties but it mostly comes out during birthdays - the grandkids love it.

I played trombone in high school and have even played in the Shriner Band for a couple of years, but that is the extent of my musical journey. I have been imbued with an appreciation of music and an uncanny ability to memorize lyrics, but have ZERO singing talent. Pity...

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
have even played in the Shriner Band for a couple of years

My dad would have been able to greet you properly. He was in the Jerusalem Temple D&B Corp as a bugler.

I am not a believer in secret societies and there are other things I do not believe, so I cannot greet you properly. But Dad was KCCH before he died.

To those who are wondering, it a Masonic Order thing.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Go for it AB. It doesn't matter if you are good, bad or Segovia.

I find (and always have) that music has a strange ability to lose the player from daily life and you are immersed in a whole new world. It doesn't matter if you play or listen, if you fancy it go for it. Listen to the fabulous harmonies of The Everly Brothers or Beach Boys, you get transported to another place.
I try to emulate a British guitarist called Hank Marvin, to hear him, look up 'Apache' by The Shadows on YouTube, I'm absolute rubbish but I enjoy trying.
Col

Totally concur. Since I use a console organ, I don't play on the 88s - I play on the 61/61/25s. But you are right - it takes you places and in my case, also brings back memories of a younger, simpler time.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Cool - I didn't even know this was a real person, I just hear it a lot when my mate from England says he is hungry
Ha ha yes. It's Cockley rhyming slang for "starvin".
Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom